Disney Magic on Parade!

Started by Poppy The Monkey, September 24, 2011, 09:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlemermaid83

I really don't think we should be bashing Cast Memebers, they have to work with what they are given and I think they did and always do a fantastic job on the parade.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Lorum

Quote from: "littlemermaid83"they have to work with what they are given

That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm not bashing Cast Members.
"If you can dream it, you can do it"

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "Lorum"

You practically said they look fed up and unhappy compared to the performers in Soundsational.  I believe that to be utter nonsense. They put on a good show despite what peoples views about the overall parade may be.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

ford prefect

Lorum, this is not personal, please believe me when I say that I respect your opinion greatly.

However I am not insulting anyone by using the word Rude in reference to your description of the dancers as "dull, insipid, unexciting people"

Bunkum: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bunkum

I hope your comment was meant in jest.  Bunkum simply refers to political grandstanding to make a point.

It is not an insult, merely another way of describing a slight form of adverse comment.

Politicising this debate by flinging accusations of demagogy misses the point.  

Early European commentators were fond of referring to EuroDisney as a cultural Chernobyl due to concerns of a pollution of European values by what was perceived at the time to be American Vacuousness.  By describing Disney as being for Americans  it appeared that you were subscribing to a similar view point.  

If that is not your meaning then accept my apologies and perhaps you would be able to expound on that comment.
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

Lorum

Quote from: "littlemermaid83"
Quote from: "Lorum"

You practically said they look fed up and unhappy compared to the performers in Soundsational.  I believe that to be utter nonsense. They put on a good show despite what peoples views about the overall parade may be.

And it may be because they are also the victims of the "new parade".

DisneyFanB

First post for me , been reading this forum for a while now, decided to join:)

I'm a bit disappointed by the parade, the first float is a let down for me, it just looks so small and cheap :(
The last float, I could grow to like it if it had been a totally new float , but if I compare that float to the original one, then it's another let down for me if you think back to how magical and classy the original float was.
And last but certainly not least, I'm mostly disappointed by the length the parade is these days , just 12 mins!
I miss the old days of Disneyland Paris of long(er) parades, and huge floats.
They don't need to get back to the size of the early days, cus them floats where as high as the buildings in main street, but seems the floats are getting to be so small these days, which personally for me is a let down.

The things I did like are the floating fairies and floating 20th anniversary street performers, wow very nice and magical!
My little one saw that and said wow disney really has magical fairies daddy.
And the carraiges are also verry charming, I wish they would have done a Beauty And The Beast one to, cus I do miss them in the parade.
As how those are operated, here is my guess.
In the HD video could see the prince has his feet on 2 pedals, so I assume he steers left and right with them, and that the speed of the carraiges is preset at the same slow speed, and if need to stop that the prince will remove both feet of the pedals which will trigger a complete stop.

ford prefect

Welcome to the forum!  It isn't always such a polemic!

Lorum

Quote from: "ford prefect"Lorum, this is not personal, please believe me when I say that I respect your opinion greatly.

However I am not insulting anyone by using the word Rude in reference to your description of the dancers as "dull, insipid, unexciting people"

Bunkum: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bunkum

I hope your comment was meant in jest.  Bunkum simply refers to political grandstanding to make a point.

It is not an insult, merely another way of describing a slight form of adverse comment.

Politicising this debate by flinging accusations of demagogy misses the point.  

Early European commentators were fond of referring to EuroDisney as a cultural Chernobyl due to concerns of a pollution of European values by what was perceived at the time to be American Vacuousness.  By describing Disney as being for Americans  it appeared that you were subscribing to a similar view point.  

If that is not your meaning then accept my apologies and perhaps you would be able to expound on that comment.

What I think is that I hurt you because of the dancers' description. It wasn't my intention. The thing is they are also the victims of this "new" creation. They deserve a great parade.

I meant that Disney is something that, in a way, Europeans (not the fans) fail to understand. Americans learn that lesson from childhood. I have to say that I felt personally offended with that comment. It politized the debate and that's dangerous. It wasn't my fault.

I accept your apologies. And don't think I was trying to insult or offend anyone, because it wasn't my intention. But not everything in life is flowers, gardens, peace and blue skies.

ford prefect

Quote from: "Lorum"What I think is that I hurt you because of the dancers' description. It wasn't my intention. The thing is they are also the victims of this "new" creation. They deserve a great parade.

I meant that Disney is something that, in a way, Europeans (not the fans) fail to understand. Americans learn that lesson from childhood. I have to say that I felt personally offended with that comment. It politized the debate and that's dangerous. It wasn't my fault.

I am sorry you felt personally offended.  That certainly was not my intention. We both managed to politicise this debate.

Europeans DO understand DIsney, as is proved by the impressive park attendance figures and the debunking of the cultural chernobyl articles.  

Similar French icons (such as the wonderful Asterix) and Belgian (TinTin) have failed to capture the imagination in the same way.  Parc Asterix could only dream of the gates that DLP has.

BTW I love Parc Asterix, it is a beautiful park.

Anyway, I think we have exhausted this topic.  My apologies if you have been offended.

Lorum

I think Europeans understand Disney as a company focused on children. We're changing, but there is still a long way. That's my opinion.

Returning on-topic, I want to say something. This is the first parade for a long time in which performers sing. They are the only who can save this parade. It's hard, but they must do it.

dagobert

Quote from: "Lorum"I think Europeans understand Disney as a company focused on children. We're changing, but there is still a long way. That's my opinion.

Returning on-topic, I want to say something. This is the first parade for a long time in which performers sing. They are the only who can save this parade. It's hard, but they must do it.

You definitely got a point here. I have the same opinion about Europeans thinking that Disney is a company focused on children. When I have studied in the US, I really enjoyed the Adult Disney offerings in the US. There the people have another view on Disney. Disney is part of their holiday culture and it's also much more present in the everyday life. The US resorts do a lot more to cater adults, for example the annual Food and Wine Festival or the bars and nightclubs at DTD. DLRP had always a good balance when it comes to attractions and I think this year they improved in terms of merchandise, because there are products for everyone.

The Disney company in general changed under Iger. He favours franchises and relying on existing products, like Pixar, Marvel or Avatar, than taking a risk and trying something new. Eisner in his early days was very creative and liked taking risks. Unfortunately his biggest risk DLRP turned out to be a financial failure and with Frank Wells' death he lost track. I also think that having no Disney family member in the comapny anymore, favoured Iger's love for franchises. Although Cars Land is also based on a franchise, at least it is very well executed and attracts kids and adults, while I think DLP's recent additions, like TSPL, which is also based on a franchise is more focused on children.

Now back on topic, because it has been discussed here several times and we all here will never agree when it comes to Disney for children only or Disney for all.

Lorum

Disney for all!

DisneyFanB

Quote from: "ford prefect"Welcome to the forum!  It isn't always such a polemic!

Hehe thanks :)

ed-uk

I like Disney Magic on Parade. I can't think of much to say about it except it gives a 5 year old parade a fresh look. I like the floating faires and 20th anniversary characters. Music and choreography work well together and they've got rid of the terrible juglers.
Ed & David

ford prefect

=D>
Quote from: "ed-uk"I like Disney Magic on Parade. I can't think of much to say about it except it gives a 5 year old parade a fresh look. I like the floating faires and 20th anniversary characters. Music and choreography work well together and they've got rid of the terrible juglers.

=D>  :thumbs: