Crush's Coaster

Started by Anthony, July 18, 2006, 07:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-breeno-

Quote from: "Willow"
Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"I've just seen this on 'Disney and More':
Quote from: "Disney and More"BREAKING NEWS: A Disneyland Paris guest was injured today at the Walt Disney Studios Crush Coaster attraction. More news later, but news reports said that the guest jumped himself from 7 meters high during the ride because he thought the harness was getting unlocked. His wife, who was seated in the same vehicle was arrested by security to answer some questions. Inquiry by French police and DLP maintenance was going on this saturday evening. Apparently the man is safe, even if other news medias keep saying that he is seriously hurt. More news when available.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/

:?

Am I the only one that doesn't have a clue what has gone on? The paragraph makes no sense!

Yeah i kinda agree with you, he jumped because he thought the harness wasn't safely locked?  Now i don't know about you but if i was on a rollercoaster and i thought the safety harness was lifting up, i would try like my life depended on it to keep it down, not jump up in the air :?   Maybe we're getting the wrong end of the stick, a bad translation perhaps?
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

The Butlin Boy

Well I've tried to find out some more info, but there isn't actually a lot at the minute, and what there is is in French. Nowhere seems to know anything about the incident, all that has been said is that a man was on Crush, and felt like his restraint was coming off, and then in panic decided to jump out of the vehicle. That's about as much as I can find at the minute. I dare say we'll find out more info in the next few days.

RnRCj

It's impossible for the restraints to release during the ride, so if the man insists that they did it must have been his imagination. :?

And surely if the restraints were pushed down properly it would be impossible to get out?

Something isn't quite right here.

Willow

The restraints would not have come undone,  its not possible. There are so many failsafes on coasters. As we don't know the place of the incident we could only speculate.

I'm not sure of the restraint system on spinners, what could have happened is the rider has pulled his restraint down and it was secure. Once out of the station he may have let go and the restraint has opened slightly, its still secure but has opened. He then must have jumped thinking it wasnt locked.

For example, due to my size I am mid-way between 2 locking points on the restraint, I can either pull it down so its very tight or give myself some space by leaving it on the next setting up. I guess the person was similar and he didn't pull it down tight.

I can't really explain it very well without knowing the type of locking system.

About him getting out, if I had the restraint on the setting above and I really wanted to get out, I could. I just wouldn't.

bigrossco

UPDATE 11/30: A WDS source says that the man "didn't fall from 7 meters high" and, good news, the man was able to drive back to his home in the evening.
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

Kristof

I read on DCP that he tripped on an emergeny staircase when the ride was being evacuated...

Willow

Quote from: "Kristof"I read on DCP that he tripped on an emergeny staircase when the ride was being evacuated...

So basically nothing happened at all? Just some guy fell down the stairs?

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Kristof"I read on DCP that he tripped on an emergeny staircase when the ride was being evacuated...

#-o  ](*,)

Just shows you how much the media can blow things up 'eh? :roll:  :wink:

Kristof

Apparently he fell ON the stairs not off . . .  :roll:

RnRCj

It's amazing how much stories can change within a few hours.

Let's compare!

We were told that...
A man was not secured properly into the ride so in a panic he decided to scramble out of his seat then leap through the air falling 7 metres to the ground getting seriously injured.

But what actually happened was...
A man tripped over a step.

:|

Owain

Thats what the world calls....

MILKING IT !

Not generally the person who it happened to, but people who found out an accident happened.  :roll:

-breeno-

I agree with all the above posts, the media have blow this way over proportion.  It seems like someone who only wants to see DLRP fail and would do anything to stop someone going there heard what happened, thought "Hmm i could blame bad safety on the attraction for this" and we ended up hearing "the guest jumped himself from 7 meters high during the ride because he thought the harness was getting unlocked" :roll:
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Nicholas-c

Wow, talk about over the top reactions, i guess someone has to make stuff up sometimes, DLRP never has big problems so why not create them ?
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Anthony

There's another article here, some trashy (just judging by the wording) paper has an "exclusive" with the guy who, if he hadn't jumped, "would have died."

http://www.lunion.presse.fr/index.php/c ... erais_mort

He's saying his restraint was not secure and though he called the CMs countless times, they said it was fine. He then had no option but to jump and fell on some evacuation stairs. He was bleeding in her arms, the CMs were panicking, and the article makes a big point that they were sent to hospital in a "......taxi!!".  I've read on DCP I think that he had six stitches.

The vehicle involved has been taken out of service and the police are investigating. The couple were given free return tickets, but not a hotel stay for the night. They're awaiting some other gesture (Castle Club suite? annual passes? no, stop it Ant...), and are "ready to take the matter to court".  Disneyland are simply saying they don't know why he jumped and are investigating.

So... I'm not sure if this disqualifies what we heard above that he fell, and he actually did jump...

And here they are...

From reading the article, it'd make me guess -if all this is true- that he realised the restraint wasn't secure as the turtle shell left the station and jumped onto the stairs on that first lift hill? Perhaps?

Then again it might be a load of rubbish made up to get themselves in the paper and some good compensation. You have to wonder.  :|

Willow

Quote from: "Anthony"Then again it might be a load of rubbish made up to get themselves in the paper and some good compensation. You have to wonder.  :|

Could Disney not just come out then and say its a load of rubbish? There's something strange about it all. If he nearly died he would have certainly needed an ambulance not a taxi. No offence to the guy or anyone else he but he doesn't look skinny enough to squeeze out of a partly closed restraint.

It would not have left the station half closed, the system wouldn't allow it and every Maurer Schone would have to be closed aroudn the world until the problem is fixed.