Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RnRCj

Quote from: "Anthony"It's just ridiculous that Toon Studio probably still won't have any proper shops, any restaurants or any toilets after this.

This is another reason to be against this project now. I was really hoping for a proper restaurant to come with this; it would've been one of the few good thing about it and, as you said, would have provided some much needed infrastructure to the park (We might have seen some good architecture too).

Three toon-themed carnival rides and props with nothing else... nowhere near good enough (as I'm sure you all know by now :wink:).

peep

Quote from: "Anthony"In better news, read this from upcoming pixar:
QuoteToy Story's re-release and sequel campaign plans have just been released by Toy News.

Promotions will be "extensive" for the first two Toy Story films and "huge" for the highly anticipated Toy Story 3. Merchandise will range from brand new action figures to DVD/Blu-ray's which will be released in Spring of '10 (Toy Story), Summer of '10 (Toy Story 2) and Fall of '10 (Toy Story 3). TS3's campaign will be the most extensive and will feature PR, TV, press and outdoor advertisements and high profile promos.

Don't Forget: Toy Story in 3D will be released October 2nd, 2009; Toy Story 2 in 3D will be released February 12th, 2010 and Toy Story 3 will be released June 18th, 2010.

It's indirect advertising, but re-releasing the first two films in 3D and then Blu-Ray, and then the release of the third film -- Toy Story Playland could well bring WDS an even bigger boom than Toon/Tower did.

I swear the film news was announced ages ago. It is defo going to bring in a mass of peeps to the Studios, especially if they advertise the new attractions well enough
amongst all the film marketing, maybe tie-in ads?
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Hathaway Browne

^They'd be stupid not to.
Marching along, we\'re Adventurers! Singing the Song of Adventurers!
Up or Down, North, South, East or West An Adventurers Life is Best!

CafeFantasia

From what I've read, Toy Story Land doesn't sound terribly appealing. It sounds pretty cheap, tacky, messy and not particuarly Disney.

And, is it an extension of Toon Studio, or a separate land? There seem to be too many radically different themes, all within the same space. You have Aladdin, then Finding Nemo, then Cars and now Toy Story. There isn't much continuity and you can't really get immersed in one particular theme, because you're never really surrounded by one idea.

As others have pointed out, if they're going to put huge parachute drop towers, directly behind the Art of Disney Animation, won't they seem quite dominant, and compete visually with the Tower of Terror? Seems an odd point in the park to put such a large, carnival-looking structure.

RnRCj

Quote from: "Alan"From what I've read, Toy Story Land doesn't sound terribly appealing. It sounds pretty cheap, tacky, messy and not particuarly Disney.

And, is it an extension of Toon Studio, or a separate land? There seem to be too many radically different themes, all within the same space. You have Aladdin, then Finding Nemo, then Cars and now Toy Story. There isn't much continuity and you can't really get immersed in one particular theme, because you're never really surrounded by one idea.

As others have pointed out, if they're going to put huge parachute drop towers, directly behind the Art of Disney Animation, won't they seem quite dominant, and compete visually with the Tower of Terror? Seems an odd point in the park to put such a large, carnival-looking structure.

First of all, I believe this will be part of Toon Studio and not seperate land. Secondly, I completely agree with everything you said there. Why some other people can't see these problems is beyond me.

Take a look at the poll in Poll-land and see how many are in favour. No offence to anyone, but after you've experienced the quality of Disneyland Park how can you POSSIBLY think this is a good idea? This will be, in my opinion, the 2nd worst thing ever created for a Disney park, beaten only by Chester and Hester's at Animal Kingdom.

It's worrying when I am actually more excited about Alton Towers' new roller coaster than this.

Willow

Quote from: "RnRCj"It's worrying when I am actually more excited about Alton Towers' new roller coaster than this.

Thats because thats going to be AMAZING!!!  :P

________

I'd go on any of the 3 rides mentioned even if they were built in the middle of the Resort car park.

Its going to add 3 rides to the parks offerings (which really needs adding to) and it won't cost a fortune to add the capacity.
These kind of rides are needed before WDS can even start thinking about expanding further with a new D or E Ticket. Their priority should be to have enough rides which warrant spending a whole day on the park.

loaloa

Hello, there is more about this Toy Story Land project for the WDS with a long article on Disney and more today here:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/ ... isney.html

CafeFantasia

Toon Studios should really just be called Pixar Studios. Get rid of the few "Disney" things they have, and just go all Pixar with it. For me, the name "Toon" never made any sense in the first place. I mean, who associates Pixar movies with "toons"? It doesn't make a lot of sense, and sounds very much like a French idea. Besides, they already have a Pixar Place over at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

WDS can build more kiddy rides if they want to, but, for those of us who are interested in classic, lavish, spectacular attractions, I think we'll have to look elsewhere for the next couple of years. There's no point in counting down 10 years, waiting for WDS to build something similar to what's already been done in America. It's just better to go over to America for your holiday :-)

Riebi

Quote from: "loaloa"Hello, there is more about this Toy Story Land project for the WDS with a long article on Disney and more today here:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/ ... isney.html

QuoteNow, to be honest i'm still a little bit dubious about this project. Don't get me wrong, I am sure it will be successful and I am also sure that the Imagineers will do a wonderful Toy Story theming all over what are normally carnival rides. And i like also the idea of giant elements in front of which even adults will feel they are a child. I know, too, that the Walt Disney Studios desperately need a kind of "Fantasyland", and that each Disney park do have this kind of land - think about Bug's Land at DCA or Mermaid lagoon at TDS - but, considering the height of two of them - the parachute tower and the half pipe coaster - i sincerely hope there will not be any visual intrusion, whether it'll be at the WDS or DLP - the back of Frontierland is only at 200 yards from where these three attractions will be build...

This Frontierland-thing is something that I never was thinking about. Interesting aspect!
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

lil-shawn

hey folks,

i don´t know what to think or to say about it, at one side i say great idea
on the other side i don´t know if the two, the parachute tower and the half pipe coaster
are the best choise they make for a kids inspired land.
if i´m honest i don´t wanna see two towering attractions again, the attraction companys
have so much different kidi rides they can use...

i think i can more say when i see concept art...

Remco K.

The more I think ad hear about this project, the more I dislike it. I know Fantasyland also has nicely themed off-the-shelve attractions, but Dumbo doesn't stick 35M into the air...

The WDS really seemed on the right track with The Tower of Terror and Hollywood Boulevard. To bad they're braking that tradition with plunging down carnival rides.

lil-shawn

hey ya folks,

i miss one thing on this idea...
for me these are just carnival rides with themening, but where is the story
i don´t see an interesting story for each ride...

lets look to fantasyland, there is dumbo the story is to fly with him or the teacups...
but i don´t know wht is the story for slinky dog, maybe halp him to get his tail  :twisted:
it´s a bit dissabointing they don´t look that much to a story at the time and just add a few rides with a bit themening...

i think when the imageneers use they´re brain, they can bring up a great story
with the toy story theme and other rides instead of the two towering attractions...

Anthony

Quote from: "Remco K."The WDS really seemed on the right track with The Tower of Terror and Hollywood Boulevard. To bad they're braking that tradition with plunging down carnival rides.
These are just a couple more small rides to extend Toon Studio. They're very much in "tradition" with that land, since it's basically a Fantasyland built on Disney's modern movies. If they were plonking down flat rides in Hollywood Blvd I'd have a different feeling, I'd cut up my annual passport, but I don't see how these three extras are so different or so catastrophically worse than Cars, for example. A good, expensive Ratatouille ride is still on the drawing/rumour board.

Quote from: "lil-shawn"i miss one thing on this idea...
for me these are just carnival rides with themening, but where is the story
i don´t see an interesting story for each ride...
The story is that you're shrunk to the size of a toy and stepping into Andy's backyard to actually play properly with the toys as if you were a toy yourself. I guess RC lets you try out his Hot Wheels track, Slinky lets you ride on his back and the Army Men try to train you up at their bootcamp.

I guess the overall story is still that you're on a backlot set where the toons make their movies. I agree, it's not exactly as strong as Tower of Terror or Phantom Manor, but then I never did understand why Fantasyland has sixteen Dumbos, all with giant metal arms sticking out of them.

Quote from: "Alan"Toon Studios should really just be called Pixar Studios. Get rid of the few "Disney" things they have, and just go all Pixar with it. For me, the name "Toon" never made any sense in the first place. I mean, who associates Pixar movies with "toons"? It doesn't make a lot of sense, and sounds very much like a French idea. Besides, they already have a Pixar Place over at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
I'm surprised how many people want it to become Pixar Studios now. Isn't that what everyone didn't want about a year ago? Currently, it feels more like a Disney land to me, especially with 3 Disney attractions to Pixar's 2.

But more importantly -- Toon Studio isn't a French term whatsoever, it's a Hollywood term. All those classic gossip columns and papers like Variety have always and still do refer to animation studios in short as "toon studios". Here's some examples:

"Just two months after ending its deal with DreamWorks Animation, Aardman Features, the British toon studio behind "Wallace & Gromit" and..."

"After the less than universally admired "Cars," Pixar's eighth feature sees the Disney-owned toon studio in very fine form, and confirms Bird's reputation"

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&hs ... tnG=Search

So even if some people still think Toy Story Playland will make us physically sick as we walk through it because it's so cheap and nasty and bad, can we at least agree that the 'Toon Studio' name is a pretty good one? Short and sharp, and much, much easier to say than "Pixar Place" for French speakers.

lil-shawn

QuoteThe story is that you're shrunk to the size of a toy and stepping into Andy's backyard to actually play properly with the toys as if you were a toy yourself. I guess RC lets you try out his Hot Wheels track, Slinky lets you ride on his back and the Army Men try to train you up at their bootcamp.

I guess the overall story is still that you're on a backlot set where the toons make their movies. I agree, it's not exactly as strong as Tower of Terror or Phantom Manor, but then I never did understand why Fantasyland has sixteen Dumbos, all with giant metal arms sticking out of them.

okay the back story is funny, but i don´t like the sorys of each ride...
that disney cant make on every ride they wanna build a big story like
TOT, PM, SM ect. is clear...

i know now i go into imageneering but i think they shouldn´t build
the rc racer attraction, make a kids playground like we have in the main park
the slinky dog ride, the army men tower and something
with this ride..

for me this sounds more like an kids area!! and they can do something great
with this...

penfold12

Well, I was initially against this idea, but the more I hear the more I like it! If they can theme similar to cars area and Pixar Place in DHS then this should be a great cost effective addition to the studios. In reality guys it's three new attractions, as in rides not lame walk throughs or exhibitions that in the past have been billed as great new attractions. And with the added marketing from all three toy story movies around the same time it is a great move for the studios in such tough economic times.

Just think how impressed we were with the cars attraction, not so much for the basic ride, but for the depth of theming it gave to the park.

If the RC track actualy looked like a hot wheels track rather than a coaster then even that would get my vote!

Let's stop moaning untill we see concept art work at least