Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remco K.

Quote from: "Anthony"These are just a couple more small rides to extend Toon Studio.
You've got to be kidding.

Okay, let's take a look at two scenario's.

WDS has been a troubled park in the past: almost no theming, small park, boring floors, etc. The WDS has come a long way in growing out to a park that at least resembles a bit of Disney magic.

Now, just imagine the WDS were orginally constructed as a beautiful themepark featuring the same quality as Disneyland Park. The latest announced addition turns out to be the Toy Story Play Land. Would you all still be as excited?

I think the discussions would be more like "How can they make such a horrible and cheap addition to the WDS!".

Think about it.

smurfy74

EVERYONE CALM DOWN  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D/  - no drawings have been shown yet, wait you might be surprised and i hope you will be :D/  :D/  :D/

RnRCj

Quote from: "Remco K."Now, just imagine the WDS were orginally constructed as a beautiful themepark featuring the same quality as Disneyland Park. The latest announced addition turns out to be the Toy Story Play Land. Would you all still be as excited?

I think the discussions would be more like "How can they make such a horrible and cheap addition to the WDS!".

Think about it.

That's a great way to look at it. Hopefully people will take notice.

Nobody should be supporting this project; it's just encouraging the Imagineers to come up with such crap ideas in the future. Disney parks need more than just rides and a few props.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "RnRCj"That's a great way to look at it. Hopefully people will take notice.

Nobody should be supporting this project; it's just encouraging the Imagineers to come up with such crap ideas in the future. Disney parks need more than just rides and a few props.

Amen, you want rides, go to Alton Towers. Disney has always been about attractions, not rides!
since 2001 (many before that)

penfold12

Dumbo?! Anyone?? And let's be honest the original space mountain and dare I say rockin roller coaster?? Love em all, but aren't that different to rides you find at Alton towers. Just wait for the concept artwork. I too have my doubts, and yes I want every attraction to be deep in theming and not an off the shelf ride linked to a movie. But in reality, there has always been a mixture in the parks of both. Yes I agree the emphasis lately has been on off the shelf rides, but realistcly, this should keep interest in the park, create expansion while most places are cutting costs, and enable true e ticket attractions in the future as already discussed.

davewasbaloo

But I only go on Dumbo if it is a walk on. And I am not too fussed if I go on Space Mountain (1st version, yes) or RNR Coaster. they re ok. But Disney is about PotC, Phantom Manor and those sorts of immersive attractions.

penfold12

I totaly agree! Attractions that create myth and mythogy. Bring new characters alive, and not simply rely on movie tie in's. That to me is where a Disney theme park triumphs. But, I can understand the marketing aspect of these rides. I mean, Pixars only movie to recieve less than glowing reviews, Cars, is the only movie other than Toy Story to get a sequel. Why? Because the merchandise sells so well. By no means the right approach as far as I'm concerned, but I can understand why. The same logic applies to these rides over a truely "Disney" Attraction. I just hope that by adding these, and therefore growing the attraction roster at the park we can keep attendance up and fund one of a kind Disney attractions in the future. In addition to that, I'm hoping that if they are themed to the level the cars attraction is, they will maybe a nice filler until we get a new e ticket?

Anthony

Quote from: "penfold12"they will maybe a nice filler until we get a new e ticket?
I think they will be. Very nice.

Besides just being a bit more realistic, anyone who's "ok" with Toy Story Playland also obviously realises that this is 2010 we're talking about. Next year. And that Euro Disney SCA did just spend the best part of 240 million euros on Tower of Terror just one year ago.

Now back to the land itself...

Quote3 attractions will appear between Tram Tour, the Costuming Building and Cars. Together they are TOY STORY PLAYLAND.

Walking down Route 66 you will see a giant Robot, holding Scrabble Letters forming TOY STORY PLAYLAND. The street will split up, left side leading to ARMY MEN PARACHUTE JUMP and SLINKY DOG Ride, the right one towards the forest (and future Expansion that the Imagineers still cook on ) and the RC RACER Halfpipe Coaster. Both ways lead around the SLINKY DOG Ride and connect behind it in front of RC RACER.

ARMY MEN PARACHUTE DROP:
Imagine the Pearl Harbor set from Tram Tour and give it Toy Story Colors. A huge Babyphone will guide you to the entrance. Metal Army Barriers, a Toy Jeep and your way continues into a small hangar. Between the ride and Tram Tour you recognize an Airplane (yes, Disney uses Extreme Makeover for old props ) The ride will take you up, 3 guests on each seat, up to 25 meters. (It's the height of Studio 1). Outside you may take pictures on a photo location like if you are jumping with a parachute.

SLINKY DOG:
Between the¨parachutes and the costuming building (just behind the robot at the entrance) you find this ride. Compare it with a Music Express (carnival ride from Mack), but themed around Slinky chasing his tail around a fire hydrant in the center. Entering left hand (the left road) into a huge plastic woodlog building (in Toy Story 2 you have Mr and Ms Potatohead kissing in it) you will passing along the famous Pixar Ball (the one with the yellow star), KNEX Construction Barriers, huge dominoes and play cubes to have a spin. The ride is facing the Forest and RC RACER, so even waiting you see a lot. Exiting on the right side you encounter Rex the Dinosaur and a barrel with the plastic monkeys forming a chain over the walkway.

RC RACER:
Well, 35 meters high, looks like a huge horseshoe upside down. Why? Cause the top is nearly 95 degrees, so when the remote control car that you are seated in will stop on highest position, the only thing holding you in your seat is a lapbar. Literally! Entering the queueline you will follow a racetrack from Carrera, inclusive with black yellow striped barriers. Think Test Track, just walk on it. Leading around the ride you have enough time to see a lot of up and downs. After the ride you and sure a lot of (too) small children will enjoy taking a photo in a set with the remote controled car.

Got some idea? Ready for Toy Story? Maybe enjoy in some weeks already the changed Tram Tour that will sneak around this huge construction site. Instead of leaving straight towards Dinotopia, you make a big S-curved turn through parts of the forest. This is the backside of TOY STORY PLAYLAND; like this you get already some idea of the size of things.
You can bet the Army Men jeep and aeroplane will be the old Pearl Harbor set ones. :)

Nala_84

Wow, although the language barrier doesn't allow me to imagine that for 100%, I am really looking forward to this somehow :mrgreen:

I'm sure I'll like the Slinky Ride lol! But I still can't imagine how that RC Racer will look and be like - sounds scary with its 35 meters...

Really looking forward to seeing first steps of the Playland though :)!
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Anthony"Besides just being a bit more realistic, anyone who's "ok" with Toy Story Playland also obviously realises that this is 2010 we're talking about. Next year. And that Euro Disney SCA did just spend the best part of 240 million euros on Tower of Terror just one year ago.

Well, I would rather they save the money until they are ready to put something more inspired in.

RnRCj

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "Anthony"Besides just being a bit more realistic, anyone who's "ok" with Toy Story Playland also obviously realises that this is 2010 we're talking about. Next year. And that Euro Disney SCA did just spend the best part of 240 million euros on Tower of Terror just one year ago.

Well, I would rather they save the money until they are ready to put something more inspired in.

Agreed. I'd rather wait an extra year or so for something that is true Disney quality.

Whoknew?

just wait for the concept arts! the last couple of years have been the most successful in the history of dlrp, they have the money to build a brilliant expansion for the wds and the will!

on thing im wondering anyway, there havnt been balloon tests for these tall attractions, so how can they be assured of the locations of the attractions then  :-k ?

Willow

Why would Disney wait another year to invest in some quality? Guest numbers through the door makes money.

They need something to bring the guests in and this area will do that (especially if they aren't planning a "celebration", I for one are contemplating a visit in 2010 to specifically visit this new area and many other will be.

I can see this kinda thing happening:

2010 - Toy Story Playland.
2011 - A "Quiet Year" - Plug this area some more and some new attraction (similar to this year).
2012 - 20th - Big E-Ticket (TOT scale).

They can't spend 100 million+ Euros every year.

davewasbaloo

Agreed they cannot build an e-ticket every year, that is why I am ok with additions less frequently. DLP is not a normal amusement park, and therefore they should not build normal amusement park rides.

FWIW, there were balloon tests last year

penfold12

I also think that we need to remember that we potentially view things from a different angle to the average visitor to the parks. I agree that I would rather wait a little longer and get pure top level e ticket attractions. But in the big picture, I would imagine that a mixture as we are currently getting ensures a higher level of guest satisfaction and repeat visits. That said, I'm just glad we are getting attractions. Remember the period before buzz attraction when we went years without an attraction of note!