Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penfold12

Not that popular? Look up the box office, it was a smash in Europe, with takings if over $400 million outside the US alone. It is to date one if the more succesfull Pixar films in Europe

JelleP

Quote from: "Willow"The lack of attractions at WDS are making Toy Story Playland bigger than what it probably should be.
Couldn't agree more! :D
And let's hope for the Space Mountain-effect as said before^ :D
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

luke85

Quote from: "Martyn"
QuotePixar have made some very popular films

Very true. Infact, the Pixar/Disney films are the ones that people look forward to the most. When was the last time Disney made a very successful cartoon film, on their own?

With regards to park characters etc, it is Disney themself that is letting the parks down, as they're now making so many films (with the majority of them bing flops) its hard for the parks to keep on top of the characters.

Quoteinfact I don't think they've had a flop yet.

Ratouille isn't that well known of. And wasn't the best/most popular film either. Thats why I find it a bit odd that there may be this big Rat dark ride. They need to stick with the popular films, like Nemo, Toy Story and..... Monsters Inc. A Monsters dark ride would be MUCH more popular than Rat...

Sorry for straying off topic a wee bit.... :)

I've just had Deja Vu  ;)

Adam

Me too - thought I was going mad and read the same point twice!

montaguewarner

I think the consensus on TSPL is that although true they are "off the shelf" carnival rides, they are already in construction, and will become even more very well themed to the area, an area with greenery there as well!
Which, lets face it is a god sent to WDS! Its true looking at other classic Disney favourties that they are Carnival rides dressed up!

I agree that TSPL is becoming more of a deal than it deserves however we have to take into account that WDS is still a young park!

This is a tad off topic but in relation to TSPL I think its interesting that Disney normally decide on two ways of building their parks.
1. Florida style (Epcot, DAK) Build a spectacular setting then add rides.
2. DCA, WDS Style. Build attractions spectacular in their own right and then tie them all up in one massive multi year refurb. I just know WDS will get the treatment DCA are getting in some years to come.

TSPL is a wonderful attraction in its own right i think, and in following years when WDS is overhauled it'll be blended into the rest of the park better - like blocking sight lines and creating a more studio like feel of the land!

Just be thankful that within itself it will be a wonderfully themed area of the park, at least its not DCA 2001 style, with odd carnival rides just plonked on some asphalt, pin the tail on the donkey style!
What do people think?
Past Visits
DLP - JUN 2005 - Val D\'Europe
DL - APR 2006 - Disneyland Hotel
DLP - AUG 2009 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUL 2010 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUN 2011 - Val D\'Europe

JelleP

@montaguewarner: couldn't agree more  :thumbs:
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

Mr_B

Hi,

Myself and the family have watched this from afar. It's an addition and a good brand at that so lets enjoy it and see what happens over time.

Mr_B
From the mansion on the hill
Shrieks of laughter break the still
Ghoulish figures start to wake
Makes your knees begin to quake

DLRP - We\'ve been there one or two times .....

alka1

Quote from: "montaguewarner"I think the consensus on TSPL is that although true they are "off the shelf" carnival rides, they are already in construction, and will become even more very well themed to the area, an area with greenery there as well!
Which, lets face it is a god sent to WDS! Its true looking at other classic Disney favourties that they are Carnival rides dressed up!

I agree that TSPL is becoming more of a deal than it deserves however we have to take into account that WDS is still a young park!

This is a tad off topic but in relation to TSPL I think its interesting that Disney normally decide on two ways of building their parks.
1. Florida style (Epcot, DAK) Build a spectacular setting then add rides.
2. DCA, WDS Style. Build attractions spectacular in their own right and then tie them all up in one massive multi year refurb. I just know WDS will get the treatment DCA are getting in some years to come.

TSPL is a wonderful attraction in its own right i think, and in following years when WDS is overhauled it'll be blended into the rest of the park better - like blocking sight lines and creating a more studio like feel of the land!

Just be thankful that within itself it will be a wonderfully themed area of the park, at least its not DCA 2001 style, with odd carnival rides just plonked on some asphalt, pin the tail on the donkey style!
What do people think?

So you're trying to make WDS look good by making DCA look bad? It's clear you've never been to DCA based on your descriptions. The boardwalk is not lined with asphalt, it has a wooden boardwalk - and the rides are not odd carnival attractions. I really wouldn't compare DCA to WDS (ever seen Grizzly Peak?!)

Rides like the Golden Zephyr were custom built for the park (Early 20th century ride; the one in Paradise Pier is the only one still in existence in North America). The Fun Wheel is a full-size replica of the original 1920 Coney Island Wonder Wheel (there's only two in the world, one is in DCA.) Paradise Pier looks stunning at night and has great atmosphere/music loop and amazing rides like Midway Mania.

TSPL looks great - I'm just not a fan of the large rides that tower over the park. At Bug's Land, the rides are kept under a canopy of giant leaves to maintain the illusion that you're the size of a bug. It makes it immersive, like it's tucked away in a corner of the park. Rides that shoot you up high over the park kind of break that illusion.

montaguewarner

Quote from: "alka1"So you're trying to make WDS look good by making DCA look bad? It's clear you've never been to DCA based on your descriptions. The boardwalk is not lined with asphalt, it has a wooden boardwalk - and the rides are not odd carnival attractions. I really wouldn't compare DCA to WDS (ever seen Grizzly Peak?!)

Rides like the Golden Zephyr were custom built for the park (Early 20th century ride; the one in Paradise Pier is the only one still in existence in North America). The Fun Wheel is a full-size replica of the original 1920 Coney Island Wonder Wheel (there's only two in the world, one is in DCA.) Paradise Pier looks stunning at night and has great atmosphere/music loop and amazing rides like Midway Mania.

TSPL looks great - I'm just not a fan of the large rides that tower over the park. At Bug's Land, the rides are kept under a canopy of giant leaves to maintain the illusion that you're the size of a bug. It makes it immersive, like it's tucked away in a corner of the park. Rides that shoot you up high over the park kind of break that illusion.

If you notice my signature I have been to DCA twice and for several days at a time each!
If DCA is so wonderful why did Bob Iger personally say that TWDC needed to "fix the second park." Yes Grizzly peak is beatiful, and so is Le Place Des Freres Lumieres and Hollywood Boulevard, but then again Paradise Pier before the current refurb was just awful! It was/is a dirty mess based on exacly the thing Walt hated and tried to get away from when building the original Disneyland!

I'm not a DCA or WDS hater, i'm merely drawing comparisons here, and since these were two parks both rushed into construction by Mr Eisner, they have A LOT in common!
Although one (DCA) has a little more money behind it at the moment to improve itself, I am merely pointing out that when EuroDisney SCA has a little more money, i'm sure WDS will greatly improve to!  :thumbs:
Past Visits
DLP - JUN 2005 - Val D\'Europe
DL - APR 2006 - Disneyland Hotel
DLP - AUG 2009 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUL 2010 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUN 2011 - Val D\'Europe

TimmyTimmyTimmy

DCA needed a change here and there to make it look a bit better and a few additions. It is getting all that now. WDS needs to be rebuilt from the ground. Visual intrusion, empty parkinglot looking walkways and a mish mash of ride mix is not what makes a great experience. ...and WDS has no major finale of a show.

jwagner

Quote from: "montaguewarner"I am merely pointing out that when EuroDisney SCA has a little more money, i'm sure WDS will greatly improve to!  :thumbs:

YES, but there won't be as much money as in DCA. I don't think that Walt Disney Company will offer some money, because there is a lot to do elsewhere(DCA,WDW-Fantasyland, HKDL(, Shanghai???)).
Eurodisney also hasn't enough money for such a big project.
We can only hope that there will be some smaller expansions (as ratatoille,splash or Indy) in the next years.
For the moment, i think that TSPL is a good step into a better Studios Park. Of course this isn't the best thing WDI has ever done, but it seems to be a nice little area where you can spend some time of your day in the WDS.
I hope that the attractions will be fun and that e.g. the queues at crush will become shortet.
If this happens the 70 mio.€ (as far as i know) have been a good investment.

andrewuk

Quote from: "penfold12"Not that popular? Look up the box office, it was a smash in Europe, with takings if over $400 million outside the US alone. It is to date one if the more succesfull Pixar films in Europe

I know it is OT but Ratatouille was a huge success (and an excellent film in my opinion). Non-believers look here:
//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratatouille_(film)
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

jwagner

Here is some more stuff i found in the web:

Pixiedust.be:

imo the vehicles look very comfortable ;)

Here you can see the bamboo again. It's really high and might hide many parts of tspl

New videos on youtube:
I know that this is a bit short, but you can see that it allready works :D/
[youtube:3o4nlehq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11jZlP03I9A[/youtube:3o4nlehq]

Does anybody know of they will change the "roofs" of the parachutes??? It looks really ugly  :?
[youtube:3o4nlehq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO-ML_8ub2w[/youtube:3o4nlehq]

This is filmed from moteurs action. Hopefully they will try to hide this, otherwise it would be totally annoying seeing this while watching the stunts :(
[youtube:3o4nlehq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbT3gbdXArM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:3o4nlehq]

JelleP

Looks quite cool actually :D
I mean see everything work now, not the fact that you'll see the tower from the stunt show area... :roll:

toritinker

I think it is all coming together now, yes the rides may not be the prettiest attractions but I really am looking forward to seeing these!!! xx
Sante Fe - December 2008
Radisson Blu Disneyland Paris - August 2010