Disneyland Park effects and details checklist

Started by Riebi, September 22, 2008, 10:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martyn

Whilst I dont want to sound so negative, my god, with how many faults there are with the DP at the moment, this topic could reach 1,000 pages!

I absolutely love DLP, and I have done for so long now, but my last trip, January09 was the first trip that I have had where I felt that the place was loosing its magic...

With Disney Parks, it really is the little things that make all the difference, that make it so special and magical, but it appeared to me last year that they were starting to loose interest in the little things...

Fever

As I posted in the 'Alice' topic, just back and I was very upset with the parks general upkeep of effects. Loads of smoke on Space Mountain, one day, none the next. I know the re-coiling of the cannon has been on and off for years, so expected that, even inside so many lights and effects not working. Over at Pirates, quite a few un-animated pirates slumped over.. Star Tours and HISTA just looking very very aged. I honestly believe the standard has slipped, unfortunetly.
Welcome foolish mortals

Disneyland Paris Treasures

I have to disagree, I also just came back and to my surprise I found many things working that I haven't seen for quite some time:

Starting with POTC, the Mayor was finally (!) spitting water again, the duelling Pirates are working great and have been moved even closer together, their swords touching regularly, you can hear them touching a lot - also their sound effect was working the whole week, so the overall effect was really great! They looked better then they have for a long time! Also the Octopus is back and looked great!! He was missing for over a year and had been replaced with something else so I feared we might not see him back at all, and he was back and looking great and moving and everything, so I was really pleased!! In Phantom Manor Madame Leota's table was finally floating again, the ballroom scene looked great and some days (not all sadly) there was even fog coming from the crypt behind the singing busts. The lighthouse in front of POTC was burning every (!) evening the whole week (from Sunday to Saturday), same goes for the torches at Adventureland entrance and the ones in front of the Indiana Jones temple (don't know if the fires at the stairs worked though, as it wasn't open when we wanted to ride in the dark)!! The Dragon was in awesome shape too, in her cave there were drops from the ceiling and fog on the water, haven't seen that for some time too and especially pleasing after seeing her in such bad shape last June. Oh, and in the studios in RNRC there was plenty of smoke and the light show was pretty amazing too.

True, there were also effects broken that have worked before, but seeing some of the things working that I almost lost hope to see again, like the Mayor spitting water or the duelling pirates easily makes up for all of them!

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the work of the maintenance team, especially as last year the budget must have been really tight with all the cost cut backs the Resort had to make.

Martyn

Yeah I no what you mean, somethings were working that I hadn't seen before, and Pirates seemed to be a lot better than it used to (I hadn't been on it since 2007).

But there are still lots of effects that aren't working.

NOTHING working on Orbitron
Space Mountain, no smoke or cannon retract on launch.
Small world facade, hardly anything working! (though like Pirates, the ride itself seemed better than last year), there seemed to be a lot more dolls in there and lights and other stuff.)

I dont if this is a part of 'cutting back costs' but on some days certain effects weren't working, but they were the day after, and so on. Though they could just be repairing them quickly.

Quick question, why was the swining pirate removed and replaced with a smoke machine?

SM:M3

Magic M

That's a new one on me too SM:M3!  It doesn;t look like much fun sitting at that green table being blasted with smoke all day long!  (Admittedly I love the smell of dry-ice smoke!)

Not many people had seen the smoking Excalibur Stone until I posted it on here a few months back.

More Smoke = More Magic!!

Kristof

That is actually an effect that worked almost every time I've been to the park.  It's also included in our checklist.  It only blast a bit of smoke when the Dormouse pops up.

In a different note, I've edited the checklist with things I've noticed working/not working the past weekend.

Kristof

Somethning appears to be missing in this photo...

I'd say... finally!  :mrgreen:

Image from the Disney Central Plaza Facebook page

Owain

God it looks so empty without the beasts castle, all's hoping for a nice clean refurb of it  :)

luke85

Yay! I'm so pleased they've decided to finally give it a bit of TLC. I really hope Storybookland is open when I go in June, I'm keeping my fingers crossed  :-D

dagobert

Was the castle in such a bad condition? I haven't been on the ride since September 2008, it was closed in February.

squishy

We went mid March and were surprised that the Dormouse had no smoke (and wasn't even popping out of the teapot), there was no smoke on Space Mountain, no water shooting through Curious Labyrinth and the umbrella in Studios had no rain!

kurgly_bird

Got back from our trip on Thursday and according to the park programme storybookland and casey jr will be closed until 2nd July so hopefully they're covering everything, and the beast's castle was still gone.

luke85

Quote from: "kurgly_bird"Got back from our trip on Thursday and according to the park programme storybookland and casey jr will be closed until 2nd July so hopefully they're covering everything, and the beast's castle was still gone.

Oh no :( I was so hoping Storybookland would be open in June, I'm gutted! Oh well, I suppose it's for the best, I'd rather they take their time refurbing everything properly than do a half-a**ed job.

pussinboots

The window in the castle with the rose and the doves is working again.

About the water system in the Treehouse — I'm not exactly sure what should be working that isn't, but water was flowing all the way from the top of the tree, by way of a bamboo mill, to the drinking fountains below. Is this news in any way or is there some long-gone system of weights and pulleys that I'm missing?

The dragon was working perfectly for a change, although I do miss the little light in the back of its throat. Without it, the smoke isn't illuminated.

And speaking of lights, I regret to say that CFLs are starting to take over. They're even in the Disneyland Hotel chandelier now, which looks awful. I really wish they'd be doing more with halogen and LED to replace tungsten, which are far less hideous and shed far superior light. But I suppose Disney as a whole is in hot water about that issue.