Can the corporate leopard change it's spot's?

Started by captain rocket, November 30, 2012, 12:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain rocket

You put up a spirited defence of Disney, Dutchbrit, You say" I don't think we can say if they are doing things wrong or not"
Well, yes I can, if my perception is that something is wrong, I can certainly say they are doing something wrong in my opinion! I am one of the end users after all!
I don't think I will be able to win you around in this discussion, and you certainly have not suggested anything that changes my opinion! Good discussion!

DutchBrit

Quote from: "captain rocket"You put up a spirited defence of Disney, Dutchbrit, You say" I don't think we can say if they are doing things wrong or not"
Well, yes I can, if my perception is that something is wrong, I can certainly say they are doing something wrong in my opinion! I am one of the end users after all!

You can say it, naturally, but it is not an informed opinion because you don't have all of the facts. I just don't think you can make a statemtent like "Disney's priorities are wrong!" when you don't know the details of how they set the priorities and how they meet them.

Who knows, if you were in charge, you might also find that you had to put other things above fixing light bulbs.

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "DutchBrit"
Quote from: "captain rocket"You put up a spirited defence of Disney, Dutchbrit, You say" I don't think we can say if they are doing things wrong or not"

You can say it, naturally, but it is not an informed opinion because you don't have all of the facts. I just don't think you can make a statemtent like "Disney's priorities are wrong!" when you don't know the details of how they set the priorities and how they meet them.

Who knows, if you were in charge, you might also find that you had to put other things above fixing light bulbs.

I have to admit DutchBrit I'm intrigued by your argument :)  Obviously all companies set priorites, normally set by costs and customer demands, my own company certainly does, and believe me most others do as well. When a customer looks at the operations of a company the customer commonly will make judgements, not least how they perceive the priorities of that company. Few customers are on the boards of these companies, but they make judgements, rightly or wrongly, about how they see a company is progressing.
I make judgements all the time about all sorts of things, it doesn't mean to say I sit on the board of every company in the UK and beyond and know all their priorities, no, I make a judgement, on how I see a particular companies priorities :)  A judgment, and we make judgements every single day.
I and others obviously don't sit on the board of DLP, but seeing how they operate allows me to make an educated guess regarding their priorities.
And my educated guess is that maintenance is low on their priorities, well below Dreams, 'Ratty' etc :)
I personally think that's a mistake, 'Dreams' has been an unbelievable success, but I would have prefered them to set maintenance as a priority over any new ride, for the time being that is :o
That's my judgement on their priorities, based on what I see, have seen and read ;)
To me parts of the resort are in desperate need of repair, but I don't believe DLP are of the same opinion.
So to me, the priorities of the DLP board are obvious, and I don't have to be on the board to know what they are, I can see them with my own eyes :)

David

DutchBrit

Quote from: "Epcot_Boy"And my educated guess is that maintenance is low on their priorities, well below Dreams, 'Ratty' etc :)
I personally think that's a mistake, 'Dreams' has been an unbelievable success, but I would have prefered them to set maintenance as a priority over any new ride, for the time being that is :o

That would be my guess too, but I disagree  that those priorities are wrong. I very much doubt that any company can afford not bring in new custom. And while providing a perfectly maintained park may please some, providing new attractions/shows will bring in many more. As far as business goes, there really isn't any choice.

Deff

If I remember correctly the management signed a multi-year contract with a supplier of LED lighting equipment that is starting around now. Maybe this is just an unfortunate transitioning moment?

DLRP Roundup!

Quote from: "Deff"If I remember correctly the management signed a multi-year contract with a supplier of LED lighting equipment that is starting around now. Maybe this is just an unfortunate transitioning moment?

OSRAM just had a big photo day across there as a new partner, OSRAM make bulbs, lots of bulbs. :D
The Roundup
News | Forum | Gallery | Waits | Crowd Forecasts

ed-uk

It's not just Disneyland Park that requires maintenance.  like the path that was repaved in Fantasyland last year.  EuroDisney also has 7 hotels to maintain, and they're under refurbishment at the moment. Also the esplanade between the parks which was repaved in the last year, The new Ratatouille ride is under construction in the WDS.   DLP opened The World of Disney Store and expanded Disney Village, Dreams premiered. The light bulbs above the entrance to Disneyland Park are just the tip of the iceberg, but I agree it would be nice to have them working. However, I don't agree that DLP  has gone into decline and that the rot really has set in, especially if we look at the bigger picture.
EuroDisney's number one priority over the years has been to pay back their debts to the banks and meet their covenants.  Some fans skate over it or sweep it under the carpet, and considering EuroDisney has faced bankrupcy twice and has gone through some painful restructuring of their debt,  I'm surprised at this. Now that the WDC has refinanced EuroDisney's debts at a more favourable rate of interest and the banks are now out of the picture, the company should find it easier moving forward hopefully to long term profitability.  But maintenance won't be their only priority I'm sure, the striking CMs blocking the parade route and ruining the magic in search of a bigger pay rise will make sure of that.
Ed & David

benjy

Just a quick update... As of early this morning.......

Sorry about the poor quality of my pictures it was taken on my rubbish Phone!!

Plus I noticed a lot more lights in Fantasia Gardens were working and more in Central Plaza so I think bit by bit they are getting round to fixing them all!!
Working xmas 2012!!! \":D\"

Festival Disney

Thank God! Took them long enough, it felt like the person in charge of lighting in the parks had been off sick for quite a while  :lol: Don't think I've ever seen (in person or photo) every light work on those marquees  :| before now
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

DisneyObsessive

I read that DLP have recently signed a partnership deal with Osram the bulb manufactuer so maybe this is the reason for the bulbs being replaced and perhaps the poor matainance was while the deal was being done and a suitible long life bulb developed to meet new EC regualations and maintain the theming requirements.

Not saying this is the case but I am convinced that often when we feel is poor show has sound business thinking behind it.  Not always but often.

Festival Disney

That sounds about right. All the bulbs under main street station and in the arcades have changed from old fashioned ones with a long curly filament to being modern bright ones. It's not thematically pleasing but they will definitely last longer  :-k
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

benjy

You say that there meant to be longer lasting, but I saw a bulb out in the bottom left of the ovel on the Park Disneyland Sign this evening...
Working xmas 2012!!! \":D\"

Elwell2009

Every night we have come out the park the last 6 days it hasent been on don't no why?