Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

^^Good thing about those purple covers, as well as the orange ones already in place on the half-pipe itself. It's a cheap way of covering up a cheap ride, but it works well.

I have to say it really does look an awful lot like Flik's Fun Fair.

-breeno-

Wow, I didn't know the area was so near completion (I guess it have to be though, it is opening in a few weeks afterall!).  I had to actually check twice to see if it wasn't just concept art.  I think it's looking great, all the greenery in the land is something I love to see (especially in the concrete-land WDS)

Quote from: "Anthony"Notice the joints in the RC Racer supports are now getting extra purple pieces added.
Great to see also, that's going to make the track look a lot more like an actual Hot Wheels track (although I would have preferred something like toy boxes to cover up the supports).  Hopefully the inside of the halfpipe will get a cover-up like the outside.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

DisneyMAD..Woops

I like how TSPL is really colourful, i'm going to be there for the opening on the 17th :D
August 1997 - Off Site
August 1998 - Cheyenne
May 1999 - Disneyland Hotel
July 2004 - Cheyenne
August 2007 - Off Site
August 2010 - Santa Fe
August 2011 - Santa Fe
September 2015 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest

15MagicalYears

Does anyone know if TSPL will get some sort of opening ceramony?

tubbsy

Quote from: "DisneyMAD..Woops"I like how TSPL is really colourful, i'm going to be there for the opening on the 17th :D
Lucky thing! I'll be there a few days later  :D
Cant believe its all come round so quick.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

RockNRoller

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"A lap dance club is fun, but it does not mean it fits in either. and all the happy clappy fans that praise this rubbish are almost as much to blame as Disney itself. Hence my amazing disdain.

Believe it or not we get your amazing disdain, we get that you dont like it but if you hate it that much why do you keep coming back to this thread? If you hadn't noticed most of the people here are looking forward to this new area and yes we realise its our fault Disney chose to build this but isnt it about time you realised its nearly open. Why not just enjoy the parts of the park you like and leave the rest of us to be excited about this.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

RockNRoller

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"A lap dance club is fun.

ps Speaking from personal experience?  :lol: (Sorry couldn't resist  :P )

CafeFantasia

From the more recent photos that've been published, it doesn't look like the Slinky Dog Zig Zag Spin ride will open and close after all. It looks like the cars are permanently open, with a couple of rings surrounding them, representing Slinky's springs.

Crop of photo originally posted by Jollyroger on Disney Central Plaza

tubbsy

I was just trying to have another look at photos Alan-cos I remember our discussion about that a few pages (maybe more) back. I still think kids like my 7 year old and 16 year old will still enjoy it-with the whole Slinky Dog theming.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

Anthony

Quote from: "Alan"From the more recent photos that've been published, it doesn't look like the Slinky Dog Zig Zag Spin ride will open and close after all. It looks like the cars are permanently open, with a couple of rings surrounding them, representing Slinky's springs.
I was assuming they'd open and close only when the ride was moving, though I don't know how it would be achieved anyway - one spring sliding across like a fan, to open out a roof? How do those rides work?

luke85

I think it looks better having spaced-out springs, plus I wouldn't want to be enclosed with something right over my head!

tubbsy

I think as Slinky goes up and down over his gentle bumpy track it will give the illusion the rings are closing and opening. If you look at the photo Alan posted (Still on the dongle! Not gonna try and post it here! :lol: ) the left hand rings look closer together then as Slinky moves up the slope (top right) they pull further apart. Its more of an illusion for those watching and not as "clever" or "technical" as we first thought but I think it'll look ... "right" If that makes sense?

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

RockNRoller

I wonder if the covers we originally saw were just that, covers to keep the weather off

CafeFantasia

Looking at it again, that photo of Slinky Dog Zig Zag Spin (which I posted above) looks amazingly like a toy sitting on someone's lawn. The aerial view obviously has a lot to do with it, but it really does look like a model, a miniature in someone's garden, rather than a huge attraction at a theme park.

Disney should make a new tilt-shift video of Toy Story Playland, to advertise the attraction. I know they won't, because Disneyland Paris are hopeless at advertising anything expensive that they've built. For example, I didn't see one advert for Toy Story Playland when I saw Toy Story 3 in the cinema. If that's not a perfect opportunity for synergy, I don't know what is.

But anyway, Toy Story Playland is the perfect subject for a tilt-shift video:

[youtube:1lq4qc11]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyZfIlxwsfI[/youtube:1lq4qc11]

SM:M3

Alain Littaye on Disney and More has done a good article with some interesting details;
QuoteThe first attraction on the left is Parachute Drop. The 80 feet high tower is really impressive and green toy soldiers are everywhere: inside the cockpit of the plane at the entrance of the ride - on which is painted the attraction name - near a giant talkie walkie, up inside an observation tower, and of course inside the army "Emery Camp" - a tribute to Emeryville where are located Pixar Animation Studios. Also at the left of the entrance a nice photo-location with a huge sky backdrop and a parachute.
QuoteHere too, everything looks bigger than expected and it's also at that point that the road which goes all along TSP have a gentle slope. Which means that the third and last ride - RC Racer - is on a slightly lower level than the two first one. This gives an interesting perspective when you look back and, again, reinforce the feeling that everything looks big - and you, small!
QuoteThe queue line has been calculated for a 90-120 minutes queue - DLP Imagineers surely have learned from Crush's Coaster long queue line which is usually so long that it goes outside of the attraction. The floor of it is designed like a Skalextric race track and guests will also find in the decor a Dinoco gas station and inside the load/unload building elements like the one you find inside a model box.
QuoteNote that the top elements of RC Racer track themed like a Hot Wheel track will be added as soon as the tests will be over, probably next week.
Article