Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scissorsboi

But I think what a 'family' is has changed since Disneyland first opened. Now, there are teenagers who know that other parks have thrill rides and would expect to get some level of adrenaline rush if they go to a theme park. RC Racer kinda bridges that gap nicely, it offers a ride with a thrill factor, but still has a height limit where the younger kids can ride with their older siblings if they want, ok not the very young, but if they only put in a Slinky, Parachute Drop and a 3rd 'whole family' ride like a dumbo clone (Pigs May Fly for example), then they'd lose the families with teens to other parks who can offer a new thrill for them to ride.

It's a tricky situation for Disney I'd imagine, but they struck gold putting Rock N' Rollercoaster, Tower, Crush and to some extent the re-imagineering of Space Mountain with a launch as more 'thrilling' rides, so I'd imagine it's something they know they can make work if they do it well!

Still, I'd have preferred to lose one of the two other rides in favour of Midway Mania, that'd help to soak up the RC Racer queue too!
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

davewasbaloo

WEll, they told Disney he would be dead if Disneyland did not have a roller coaster or ferris wheel. And we know what happened there.
since 2001 (many before that)

Scissorsboi

Yeah and I think at the time that was very true, but I honestly believe that the target audience has evolved from the 'happy families' the park originally attracted now that it is a world wide brand, and they would be dead if they only aim for families with young kids.

They also say that Disneyland is a living experience and that it will be constantly changing, if they only ever installed attractions that were there when the parks first opened it'd go against everything Walt started. I think with this area we just have to have faith in Imagineering that they know what they're doing, and be thankful that it doesn't look quite as ugly as Bugs Land of the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playset areas.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

davewasbaloo

I never said they should aim at little kids. Walt Disney said you are dead if you do, adults are just kids grown up. They should be aiming at attractions that appeal to the whole family, young, old, disabled or otherwise.

davewasbaloo

And frankly, this is uglier that Fliks Fun Faire.

RockNRoller

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"And frankly, this is uglier that Fliks Fun Faire.

Ok We get you dont like it, your opinion and you are entitled to share it, but come on "uglier that Fliks Fun Faire" is a bit of a sweeping statement when you consider we have only seen photo's over a construction wall or the original artists impressions.
What Id like to know is once its open will you or your family be visiting TSPL or dare I say going on the rides? Once youre actually there in the flesh is totally different to whats been seen so far.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

davewasbaloo

Maybe some spirits have been to both and been given a tour behind the scenes? Never judge who you are talking to on the internet. You may not always know their back stories.

30+ years of looking at concept art, seeing development, managing projects and programmes and walking the building sites, nope, it may be fun, so is the park down the street from me, but it ain't Disney quality or what Walt's vision had in mind.

RockNRoller

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Maybe some spirits have been to both and been given a tour behind the scenes? Never judge who you are talking to on the internet. You may not always know their back stories.

Could say the same thing to you.
As for not being Walts vision consider what he said when he opened his first park something along the lines of a place for both young and old to enjoy themselves, yep WDS is certainly that, where age can relive fond memories of the past, yep does that for me especially the "fair ground rides" that take me back to my first experience of a ride, and where youth can savour the challenge of the future, think it does that too.
See I can quote Walt Disney too.

DopeyDad

;) Oh please, lets not open that can of worms again!

RockNRoller

Quote from: "DopeyDad";) Oh please, lets not open that can of worms again!

Sorry Dopey Dad, didn't mean to but it annoys me the number of people who come on here whatever there background may be and claim to be channeling the spirit of Walt.

Walts idea was all about fun, full stop. Thats all I want in my Disney holiday. I hate the phrase but lets all consider the "big picture" DLRP is an excellent place to spend time, love bits or hate bits we'll all keep on going and having a good time

CafeFantasia

So, where are the photos from INSIDE Toy Story Playland? 20 fans went in there, but we haven't seen any photos yet. Did Disney ban cameras or something?

RockNRoller

Quote from: "Alan"So, where are the photos from INSIDE Toy Story Playland? 20 fans went in there, but we haven't seen any photos yet. Did Disney ban cameras or something?

Now that would be so cool, how did these lucky 20 get chosen? Anyone?

davewasbaloo

I was not allowed to use my camera nor talk in detail at the time we walked about, I would not be surprised if this is the same thing here.

davewasbaloo

A lap dance club is fun, but it does not mean it fits in either. and all the happy clappy fans that praise this rubbish are almost as much to blame as Disney itself. Hence my amazing disdain.

Anthony

Aaaaanyway...

Here's a photo which does show some of the inside of the land, by Jollyroger on DCP.

//http://nsa16.casimages.com/img/2010/07/27/100727080922441335.jpg

Notice the joints in the RC Racer supports are now getting extra purple pieces added.