Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

15MagicalYears

Timmy, I think we all know what your opinion on TSP is. You don't have to constantly post about how awful it is, it's just bringing the mood of the thread down.

claire2281

Quote from: "littlemermaid83"I had real reservations about TSPL, yes I thought it was a complete waste of time and the rides look lame...but I now take back anything bad I said.

I'm going to have a lot of fun with my Daughter at TSPL and thats what matters the most.  I just hope shes tall enough for RC Racer in October lol.

None of them are big rides but it's a damn good start for adding some new rides to WDS. RC Racer will be a lot of fun for all - a mini thrill ride - and two other kids rides will hopefully take some of the pressure off Crush. From what I've seen of the themeing I thought it looked good (love the giant Buzz Lightyear!) - it fit the idea of the film very well. Surely that's what the studios should be about? Areas to do with the Disney films.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Hilary

Just back from the Park, saw them testing all the rides on Wednesday (didn't manage to get any footage of Slinky, unfortunately, although did get a quick peek of him going round from the Tram Tour).

James6

Can't believe that RC Racer has the OTSR...

Still, I am liking the look of this area, and disappointed I won't get to experience it, which I thought I might have been able to.
Very excited for first trip to DLRP in over 10 years! Big Thunder here we come!

Reiana

I can hardly wait to explore TSPL in september. The only thing that disturbes me is the Army Men Tower. Not the ride itself. The top of it. Wasn't it possilble to cover the 6 arms of the tower with a giant camouflage top too  :?
I think it would look a lot nicer. But mayby it's not possilble because of the electric, the lights or so.

By the way, my little daughter will love, love, love the giant Buzz. He was her first love, when she was a year old. She loved the picture of him on the Disneyland Paris calender. The big love returend when she was old enough to ride and enjoy Buzz Light Years Laserblast. And now Toy Story 3. She's in heaven. Don't ask how many Buzz Lightyear figures we have at home. Almost every type of Buzz, from plush to key chain.
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

JelleP

Quote from: "James6"Can't believe that RC Racer has the OTSR...
The OTSR..? :oops:

I think they could have done more with the Parachute Tower, but what can we do about it? :roll:
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

Anthony

Quote from: "JelleP"The OTSR..? :oops:

I think they could have done more with the Parachute Tower, but what can we do about it? :roll:
OTSR = Over The Shoulder Restraints

And I agree, Parachute Drop still looks too industrial, steel-built to me. Function really overtook design.

Surprisingly I like RC Racer more each time I see it. The inside of the track does break the (limited) magic, but perhaps, if they filled it in with a smooth surface like the outside, the steel track itself would just stand out even more. It currently gets slightly lost in the framework when looking from a distance. The car itself looks fantastic. The queues are going to be hideous. Thanks for the pictures fray101!

luke85

Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"WDS as we all know looked terrible when opened. The latest developments prove the park will look ever worse the years to come. They have to plant a 100 trees to hide the stupid aweful rides that are not up to Disneypark standards. WDS is not a themepark anymore. There is no real theme. It is a permanent fair. Soon Disney will offer it´s european customers places to get a tatto or a belly button piercing. It´s sad to see that the future ratatouille area is already RUINED. Hong Kong Disneyland fans fear that park will also life to see the same fate as WDS:

We get that you don't like TSPL, that's very obvious. But wouldn't you feel a whole lot better if you stopped complaining about it and focused on things that you felt happy about? It can't be making you feel very good...

claire2281

Quote from: "James6"Can't believe that RC Racer has the OTSR...

Surely it needs it though? It definitely seems tip you forward slightly more than vertical at the top. I suspect a lot of people would be very put off if it didn't.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

tubbsy

When you look at the haflpipes that actually spin, they dont have ... what was that again? OTSR but like you said claire, more parents with kids of the right height will be willing to ride with the restraints. I however will not be one of them! :lol: DH and/or Steph might take Rob on-I'll take photos from the ground!

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

Martyn

QuoteWhen you look at the haflpipes that actually spin, they dont have ... what was that again? OTSR

They do....

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "luke85"We get that you don't like TSPL, that's very obvious. But wouldn't you feel a whole lot better if you stopped complaining about it and focused on things that you felt happy about? It can't be making you feel very good...

Hmmmm, I like the pavement and lights of the Rat area.....that is all.  :evil:
since 2001 (many before that)

experiment627

During my visit last week I was kind of impressed how cleverly Toy Story Playland fits into the resort.
When seeing the new area from the Boulevard Circulaire behind the parks it's obvious that it's quite big. (Especially RC Racer!) Yet you can hardly see Toy Story Playland from either park.
So it looks like they've done their homework.

Even the Parachute Drop isn't as "in your face" as some pictures suggest. True, it's visible from Disney Bros. Plaza - but only from a certain angle. Only when standing right next to ToT's entrance, it is distracting. But, call me a naive optimist, with an extension of the Hollywood facades this should only be a temporary problem. (Though "temporary" can become quite a while at DLP.)

I am certainly not going all crazy about some smaller rides coming to WDS and the whole Toy Story franchise leaves me rather cold (but I haven't seen the 3rd film yet) - but even if it's only "smaller rides", it looks like the Studios are getting a good quality expansion.

So, judging now only the "visual impact" of Toy Story Playland, it gets a  :thumbs: from me.

Riebi

Quote from: "experiment627"Even the Parachute Drop isn't as "in your face" as some pictures suggest. True, it's visible from Disney Bros. Plaza - but only from a certain angle. Only when standing right next to ToT's entrance, it is distracting. But, call me a naive optimist, with an extension of the Hollywood facades this should only be a temporary problem. (Though "temporary" can become quite a while at DLP.)

Same here. That was something that impressed me. TSPL isn´t in focus if you are inside WDS. Like Experiment627 said you will only see the higher attractions from some points of the park. And with this in mind I had the first time a little understanding for a bigger concept behind it. If they expand the Bvd. you won´t even see TSPL. And it´s much more detailed as I expected.

As you know I´m not a fan of the Toy Story theme EVERYWHERE at the resort. That´s for me the point to discuss. TSPL isn´t that ugly huge thing I´ve expected. It´s simply a themed and very green area at WDS. And that´s not the badest thing at WDS. (Bad thing is the not finished placemaking at Production Courtyard or the whole backlot area.)

TSPL isn´t something that touch me that hard. It doesn´t matter for me. I think I will make the rides but it won´t be my favorite ones. But I clearly can´t say that Dumbo, Buzz Lightyears laser blast, Autopia, the tea cups, flying carpets, orbitron or lanzelots is one of my favorite rides at the resort. It has for me the same rank. So calm down everyone. Maybe a over years worst themed backlot, a stop of placemaking or a missing of little street shows will bring the park down. TSPL won´t.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

disneylandparisgirl

At the moment I'm reserving judgement till I see it in person but so far I think it looks ok so far and very well themed!

It's the details that make an area and WDS has been lacking in details and themeing its nice to see they are finally moving away from the car park look!
August 1997 offsite
August 1998 Cheyenne
May 1999 Disneyland hotel
July 2004 Cheyenne
August 2007 offsite
August 2010 Santa Fe
August 2011 Santa Fe
September 2015 Sequoia Lodge