DLR | Cars Land (2012)

Started by Anthony, October 19, 2007, 04:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ed-uk

I'm loving your posts Alan. I guess a desert town called Ratiator Springs fits into a theme park called Disney California Adventure. And don't worry about the heat people from California are used to it. There's as much logic to Cars and their relationship with humans as swimming under the sea with the Little Mermaid.
Ed & David

javalos1991

Quote from: "Meph"Is this the biggest ride -- in terms of area -- that Disney has ever made?

It probably is the biggest Disney has ever created. The big E-ticket ride (Radiator Springs Racers) is 6 acres itself (with the surrounding mountain range). The whole land is 12 acres... That sould give you a perspective on how massive i'll be.

|Q|

Quote from: "Alan"Out of all the Disney and Pixar films in the world, was Cars really the one that guests wanted to immerse themselves in? Yes, I know Disney built it because they want to sell more Cars merchandise, but was Radiator Springs really the number one environment that people wanted to walk around and explore?

I totally agree with you, but great products rarely are the outcome of what people wants. I think the 2 Cars movies are easily the worst stuff that Pixar ever made. But John Lasseter is REALLY passionate about it, and without his love for the product weìd never ended with something of this size and ambition.

Quote from: "Alan"The whole logic of the first Cars film is that it's a world where humans don't exist. So, to have humans enter the world of Cars doesn't make a lot of sense. And for a human to sit inside a car in the Cars world is kind of the equivalent of someone sitting inside a dog's head. If you think about it too much, it's all very strange. If Cars don't need humans and have no knowledge of humans, what do they think about us visiting their town? And how do they feel about us driving around in "alternative" cars that don't have eyes, teeth and tongues?

Mate, you're REALLY overthinking it ;)

Quote from: "Alan"The other thing is, Radiator Springs is supposed to represent a town in the desert. Now, if you've been to California you'll know that the sun is very very strong, and standing in the middle of a large unshaded area of tarmac is very unpleasant. So, why would Disney want to build a 12-acre desert environment in California? It's not the best choice in terms of guest comfort.

Have you seen the pictures? They're plantin A LOT of trees in the area, it's not goin to be barren as in the movie.

Q

Anthony

Quote from: "alka1"New Blue Sky Cellar video:

[youtube:97auiic9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T-EheyWEEQ[/youtube:97auiic9]
This new preview video is stunning. I think Radiator Springs was absolutely the right choice for this location. It treads a nice line between being dramatic, authentic and "real" and yet still based on a character property. The scale and detail are immense. I've been following construction photos along with everyone else, but to see these shots now from inside the land, with the mountain range wrapping around it, it's like nothing else. DisneySea-esque.

Thank god the Imagineers working on it seem to have completely ignored everything that happened in Cars 2, that would have killed their passion for the project stone dead. Radiator Springs, Route 66 is where it should be.

And geez, I can't believe Disney is even able to make me tear up at the description of some guy looking at stars out the window of his car as a boy. I need to get a grip.

Josh

Awww. I see what you mean. XD

I've been really concerned about how the rockworks will look from the other lands in the park, but it probably won't be that bad. I'd love to see what it's like though. There's still so much more to this ride that we don't know about!
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

ed-uk

I've never understood why some people take the view, that basing a land on a character property is lazy and wrong. When I watch the video and listen to the imagineers, it doesn't sound lazy or wrong at all. Cars land does look very good and should be magical at night. I like the look of it better ( including the rides ) than TSPL, although it's pobably not fair to compare because Cars land is much bigger, and TSPL at DLP is just an extention of Toon Studio. But it just goes to show how much love the imagineers put into these new lands.
Ed & David

Josh

Quote from: "ed-uk"I've never understood why some people take the view, that basing a land on a character property is lazy and wrong.
I can't speak for everyone else who's against it, but I've never doubted that Carsland wouldn't be excellent. All the rides and the rest of the area look great and have really detailed stories, but the issue this boils down to is whether they should create a land like this all the time. If this was just a one-off, I wouldn't have a problem, but this park is full of things like Bugsland. They're based off one franchise. The lands' settings aren't broad enough to encompass stories from anything outside of their respective franchises. Carsland is fantastic on its own, but it spoils the bigger picture.

What do Carsland and Bugsland have to do with the parks purpose (which is a celebration of California)? They're just franchises injected into the park.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

ed-uk

I come from a different point of view, if the Imagineers say Cars Land fits, it fits, because they're telling the story of the park. The land settings aren't broad enough to encompass stories from anything outside of their respective franchises, because that's not what the imagineers intended to do this time. We're not ment to think in terms of Andventureland and Fantasyland ( for a change ) which encompass more than one story.
Ed & David

Josh

It's true that that's their intention, but that's the problem. Maybe we should just agree to disagree before we start another debate. XD
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

JelleP

New pictures and a new video were released today!

[youtube:1huqz7p0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffmuOefRWV0[/youtube:1huqz7p0]
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

DopeyDad

my favorite bit of nonsense marketing blurb, talking about the Red Car Trolley, "whats so wonderful about that that, is it really harkens back to days when we did have red car trolleys!"

wow, genius  :roll:

alka1

New photos of Cars Land were shown on the Disney Parks Blog today:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... ture-park/

See the full set of photos at the link above

Josh

For those that aren't keeping up with the project, it's worth reading this column from Al Lutz at MiceChat:
http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al042412a.htm

John Lasseter has suggested increasing the ride-time for Luigi's Flying Tires from 1:30 to 2:10, which is going to increase queues. But the problem is it takes so long to learn how to use them. Here's the instructions:

QuoteLuigi's Flying Tip #1 – Balance Point
Once airborne, find your BALANCE POINT,
shift your weight from side to side and
front to back so you are floating freely
and no part of your tire touches the floor.

Luigi's Flying Tip #2 – Lean
Once you have found your balancing point,
LEAN slightly in the direction you would like to fly.
If you lean too far your tire will dip and skid on the floor.
If you are flying with others coordinate your
BALANCING and LEANING together!

Luigi's Flying Tip #3 – Spin
Recommended for advanced tire flyers.
To SPIN the tire simply move the control handle
to the left or right and hold in that position.
The tire will slowly start to spin
and will gradually increase in speed.

Luigi's Flying Tip #4  - Lean & Spin
Recommended for advanced tire flyers.
It takes more skill to SPIN & TRAVEL in a
desired direction at the same time.
To do so, choose a direction you wish to go
and continuously change your LEAN towards
that direction while your tire rotates beneath you.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

byron-james

There is no doubt that they have created a really stunning addition to the park. And I'm sure it will be an amazing experience. I do agree that dedicating an entire land to one movie/character is not the way Disney should go though. Even when avatar land was announced, I thought that they would be better off doing an attraction based on the film and maybe one resturant, similar to what is rumored to be planned for the ratatouille dark ride - its a small section themed to the movie but not a whole land.
Disneyland Paris - 1996
Walt Disney World - 1998
Disneyland Paris - 2011
Disneyland Paris - 2012
Disneyland - 2013?

alka1