DLR | Cars Land (2012)

Started by Anthony, October 19, 2007, 04:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malin

A TV advertisment for the new land can be seen here.

[youtube:3ppiquar]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqkGs60mkmM&feature=g-all-u[/youtube:3ppiquar]

dagobert

Thanks for the video, I really like it.

Cars Land looks beautiful, but I still think that Disney shouldn't have based a land on a single franchise. However, the land looks wonderful, especially RSR.

dagobert

Thanks for the beautiful pictures, alka1.

Cars Land seems to be more beautiful when everything is illuminated. Nevertheless I'm more excited about Buena Vista Strret, sice it reflects a part of Walt Disney's life and unfortunately the modern Disney company pays less and less tribute to its founder.

|Q|

Quote from: "dagobert"Cars Land looks beautiful, but I still think that Disney shouldn't have based a land on a single franchise. However, the land looks wonderful, especially RSR.

I'm not a fan of Cars, that for sure, and i find creepy a cars dominated world, but can we stop this please? If it wasn't that big and that coherent, would be this cool. I mean, take away the mountain range, and what are you left with?

Q

dagobert

Quote from: "|Q|"
Quote from: "dagobert"Cars Land looks beautiful, but I still think that Disney shouldn't have based a land on a single franchise. However, the land looks wonderful, especially RSR.

I'm not a fan of Cars, that for sure, and i find creepy a cars dominated world, but can we stop this please? If it wasn't that big and that coherent, would be this cool. I mean, take away the mountain range, and what are you left with?

Q

I'm sorry, but what should I stop? Complaining about that the land is based on one single franchise? Your last sentence doesn'T sound positive about CL, too. Maybe I've just misunderstood you.

Anthony

I think Q might be saying that the land needs to be based on this single movie in order to have the giant mountain range and to be this big and coherent. I guess you could have had a generic "Route 66" land and had something Cars-based as a single attraction, but it wouldn't have been as effective.

Personally the "Cars Land" name still grates (I think mostly now because dropping "Land" on the end as a separate word feels lazy and cheap, whereas the land is anything but), but having the whole Radiator Springs universe depicted like this looks simply stunning, whether you're a fan of the film or not. Just the "idea" of this Route 66 place where cars are humans is something everyone can grasp, the same as toys coming to life.

Surely the most spectacular thing Disney has built in ten years? And in order to get to it, you have to walk through the gorgeous Buena Vista Street... oh DCA, your moment has come.

|Q|

Quote from: "dagobert"I'm sorry, but what should I stop? Complaining about that the land is based on one single franchise? Your last sentence doesn'T sound positive about CL, too. Maybe I've just misunderstood you.

You people that state that single-franchise lands are WRONG. Tokyo DisneySea has 2 land devoted each one to a single franchise/movie (being Mermaid Lagoon and the wonderful Mysterious Island, that's all based upon Verne's characters and an old Disney movie's design). I totally agree that there are franchises that i'd have preferred  seeing put in a theme park (i bet NOBODY would complain about a fully fleshed out Star Wars Land), but in the end what matters is execution, and the execution of CarsLand is totally amazing (i think that nobody can argue about that, right?). Comeon, in France there is a FULL park dedicated to just one franchise (i'm talking about Asterix Parc), and it looks like it works pretty fine.

To the question "what happens when Cars is not cool anymore", i think that CarsLand itself will guarantee that the Cars franchise has a real staying power.

Q

|Q|

Quote from: "Anthony"Personally the "Cars Land" name still grates (I think mostly now because dropping "Land" on the end as a separate word feels lazy and cheap, whereas the land is anything but),

The thing i really think John Lasseter is NOT good at is NAMING THINGS. Cars? Toy Story? A Bug's Life? Comeon...

Quote from: "Anthony"Just the "idea" of this Route 66 place where cars are humans is something everyone can grasp, the same as toys coming to life.

And I was wondering, in a Cars world, Mater's jukebox

would be the equivalent of a human body parts jukebox in the real world? And Mater, operating a junkyard, is some kind of Cars serial killer?  :shock:

:P

Q

dagobert

Q, I guess you have read my post and I actually said, that it does look wonderful. I can't wait to see it next year. I'm pretty sure a land not based on a Pixar or Disney franchise would have also been amazing. All I want to say is that, despite the amazing details and look of Cars Land, it has nothing to do with California. However the same applies for the Monsters Inc. ride or the other Pixar area, A Bug's Land. Maybe Disney should have been more creative in finding a proper name for the park. It's great what WDI did with DCA, but I still think it's not a park with a single identity.

I'm sure you didn't want to sound rude, but "You People" is a little bit disrespectful. At least I was told that during my time in the US, when I also used that phrase. Since you are from Italy, I'm very sure that wasn't your intention. ;)

Josh

Quote from: "|Q|"(i bet NOBODY would complain about a fully fleshed out Star Wars Land)
Actually, I would. :P

But you're right. No one can deny that Carsland is one of the best things Imagineering has completed this year. WDI is really coming back to its stride, now.

Quote from: "Anthony"I think Q might be saying that the land needs to be based on this single movie in order to have the giant mountain range and to be this big and coherent. I guess you could have had a generic "Route 66" land and had something Cars-based as a single attraction, but it wouldn't have been as effective.
To be honest, I could imagine a land like that, and don't forget that that's what they were originally planning. I think that if you kept the RSR and the Cadillac Range (even though we're not allowed to call it that any more), but took away the rest of the town and imagineered some other Route 66 town with its own backstory, I think it would have turned out just as great. Plus, it would have allowed for a greater variety of stories if the land is expanded.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

dagobert

Quote from: "Anthony"Surely the most spectacular thing Disney has built in ten years? And in order to get to it, you have to walk through the gorgeous Buena Vista Street... oh DCA, your moment has come.

Isn't that sad that it took Disney ten years to build another spectacular thing, even Tokyos Pooh was built more than ten years ago. Universal had Harry Potter, Transformers and Spider-Man.

Besides the DCA makeover, I would qualify HKDL's Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor as wonderful, too. Ratatouille can be added to that list as well, but unfortunately we have to wait a few more years.

Hopefully one day WDSP will also get such a makeover. As I've mentioned before, I'm more excited about Buena Vista Street and the Tram that's running there. Wouldn't such a tram be great at an extended Hollywood Blvd.?

dagobert

Quote from: "Josh"To be honest, I could imagine a land like that, and don't forget that that's what they were originally planning. I think that if you kept the RSR and the Cadillac Range (even though we're not allowed to call it that any more), but took away the rest of the town and imagineered some other Route 66 town with its own backstory, I think it would have turned out just as great. Plus, it would have allowed for a greater variety of stories if the land is expanded.

Very well said and I couldn't agree more.

Anthony

Quote from: "Anthony"Personally the "Cars Land" name still grates (I think mostly now because dropping "Land" on the end as a separate word feels lazy and cheap, whereas the land is anything but),

The thing i really think John Lasseter is NOT good at is NAMING THINGS. Cars? Toy Story? A Bug's Life? Comeon...
A Bug's Life... now there's something that has absolutely no connection to California.

Cars Land can at least represent the road to California, the Californian love of automobiles. Maybe it's a shame they had to wrap the land up in this franchise, but what would it have been otherwise? An ode to the golden days of Route 66? Can't you still pretty much drive to a lot of those places? (like the Pixar animators did) If Disney had built that, they'd probably have pissed off a lot of small businesses out there and then been criticised again for "building California in California". I quite like that DCA is now California seen through a Disney prism, sometimes taking you to a different period (Buena Vista St, Hollywoodland), sometimes merging in characters (Cars Land, Paradise Pier).

Columbiad

Amen, Anthony!

alka1

Quote from: "Anthony"

A Bug's Life... now there's something that has absolutely no connection to California.

Cars Land can at least represent the road to California, the Californian love of automobiles. Maybe it's a shame they had to wrap the land up in this franchise, but what would it have been otherwise? An ode to the golden days of Route 66? Can't you still pretty much drive to a lot of those places? (like the Pixar animators did) If Disney had built that, they'd probably have pissed off a lot of small businesses out there and then been criticised again for "building California in California". I quite like that DCA is now California seen through a Disney prism, sometimes taking you to a different period (Buena Vista St, Hollywoodland), sometimes merging in characters (Cars Land, Paradise Pier).

Before Cars Land, there were plans to build Carland - a Route 66 themed land that would feature California's car culture with several shows and attractions. Eventually it was decided to add the Pixar Cars characters to the mix, but they soon realized that the land was a mish-mash of too many unrelated characters without a sense of place and time.

With Radiator Springs they had a cohesive story and characters which evoke Route 66, and the opportunity to recreate the same beautiful mountain landscapes that were seen in the movie.

It was decided that Cars Land would be a more cohesive land and more immersive environment for guests.

Early concept art of Carland:

source: MintCrocodile