Selfie sticks

Started by stifle, June 14, 2015, 12:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockNRoller

I'd be happy to forward the email on. I asked DLRP direct through the contact us link on the official website.
I have the same mono pod as you Disneymagique, only use it to film Dreams so I guess at night it wont be so easy to spot. you may have been unlucky as I guess there is a higher proportion of cast members around at parade times.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

rebecca20

Will let you know how the selfie stick ban is going after my trip this weekend and get any other gossip out of my CM friend - I will also be able to say that I stayed in Mickeys house after this weekend...  ;)
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

Mileto

Wishing you a memorable trip, Rebecca20! And we'll wait for the news and rumors.  :D

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

RockNRoller

Friend of mine has just returned and told me that on the 2nd day as he was using a selfie stick to film over the crowds at the parade a cast member asked him to lower it as he was blocking the view of others. The cast member then told him about the ban and suggested that he leaves the stick in his hotel room.
That sounds like a cast member enforcing the ban in a very sensible way.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

DisneyRon

Quote from: RockNRoller on August 27, 2015, 10:32:23 AM
Friend of mine has just returned and told me that on the 2nd day as he was using a selfie stick to film over the crowds at the parade a cast member asked him to lower it as he was blocking the view of others. The cast member then told him about the ban and suggested that he leaves the stick in his hotel room.
That sounds like a cast member enforcing the ban in a very sensible way.

That's usually the best way to handle. Better to not escalate the situation unless absolutely necessary, most guests will understand the reasoning behind it and accept it. :)

HildeKitten

Glad to hear that at least some CMs are enforcing the ban in such a sensible way :)
Hopefully they'll keep it up (and start enforcing the smoking ban too) :)

roisind

im someone that suffers from anxiety and the thought of asking someone to take a picture for me makes me want to die inside.

also the thought of annoying anyone by using a selfie stick is horrible.

an old fashioned selfie will have to do :P

HildeKitten

Nothing wrong with old fashioned selfies! ^^
If you're going with a friend, maybe you can ask them to ask a stranger to take a photo of you guys?

roisind

yeah im sure thats what we'll do :)

Sulley's Arms

Hi all,

we've been in DLP for the past couple of days and have seen loads of people using selfie sticks, and nobody has been asked to stop using them...

I did notice that the main signs outside DLH also reference leaving them in your hotel room.
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

HildeKitten

I read a trip report on character central where the poster also said that the ban isn't being enforced at all.
It's too bad that it's becoming yet another ban that they aren't enforcing.

Komble

Quote from: HildeKitten on September 03, 2015, 10:24:17 PM
I read a trip report on character central where the poster also said that the ban isn't being enforced at all.
It's too bad that it's becoming yet another ban that they aren't enforcing.

What a shame... Like I said before, it's only a matter of time before something goes wrong!

HildeKitten

And sadly it will take something going so spectacularly wrong that DLP has no other choice than to act on the ban and start enforcing it :(

arvidbux

Just got back of 4 days (Fri to Mon) and it is hit or miss with the ban on selfie sticks. There are signs all over the place (in the hotel, at the turnstiles, at the walk path to the two parks) but people still bring them in and  you can't tell me they don't see the signs.

The worst days for selfie sticks I noticed was Friday and Monday (Friday being the worst). No cast members said anything to people about the use of them. On Saturday I had fun just sitting on a bench and watch cast members walk up to people and telling them it was not allowed to use them in the park. This happened during the day but also at night during the fireworks. On Sunday I think I only saw one selfie stick.

What I did notice though is that only the "information" cast members walked up to people and told them not to use the selfie stick. All other cast members just didn't do anything.

I think that is also where the problem is. Cast members avoid confrontation and I guess mainly because they are scared the guest doesn't speak their language. Also the constant asking "but why" by guests is annoying.

Besides all this and Disney having to really enforce the ban, the problem also lies with guests. When you enter the park there is enough signage to tell you something isn't allowed and when you enter the park, you agree to the T&C set by the theme park. Don't be an ....... just be a nice visitor.

Puffin

I'm not defending the way DLP handles this situation, but just like with the smoking ban I guess the selfie ban isn't an easy one to enforce. In the first place it's the responsibility of the public to be compliant. I can't see this kind of trouble happening in Disneyland Japan, where everything is running so smoothly because everybody respects the rules like it should be.
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne