Selfie sticks

Started by stifle, June 14, 2015, 12:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stifle

A notice about the ban is in the weekly programme so perhaps they are serious about it.

NCC1701Q

Just got back from a seven-day-stay at DLP. Some observations:
- I saw very little people with selfie-sticks, however, the ones I saw were not addressed by CM's;
- the Eiffeltowers-/little toys-sellers just outside The Village were selling selfie-sticks. I saw one woman buying one, walking up to the security-check, getting told to leave it there and she rushed back to the seller, reprimanded him (very clearly) and got her money back!;
- it's not just selfiesticks in attractions that are dangerous: four Spanish guests who were in the two seats in front of me on Big Thunder Mountain managed to film and photograph (ofcourse WITH flash) the whole ride with a digital SLR (like a Canon 500D) - that is a big camera! The camera was passed around and I kept thinking it would hurt quite a bit if they dropped it and it would come flying backwards.

Puffin

Quote from: NCC1701Q on July 29, 2015, 09:05:52 AM
- it's not just selfiesticks in attractions that are dangerous: four Spanish guests who were in the two seats in front of me on Big Thunder Mountain managed to film and photograph (ofcourse WITH flash) the whole ride with a digital SLR (like a Canon 500D) - that is a big camera! The camera was passed around and I kept thinking it would hurt quite a bit if they dropped it and it would come flying backwards.

maybe they should ban all people from Spain along with selfie sticks. ;)
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

Ohana

Good! Selfie sticks make me sad.

Who wants a whopping great metal pole ruining their photos? Not me!

Let's hope those ignorant enough to use them drop their phones out of them, that'll teach them to break the rules.
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

George Geef

I've just got back from staying at DLP and they gave out the leaflets about selfie sticks every day whilst driving into the car park.  There were also signs about them at the security check.

I saw a few selfie sticks in the park, but not many,  The ones I saw were mainly during the Disney Dreams, but I also saw a handful in use during day time.

I didn't see any cast members telling people not to use them on these few occasions though.

HildeKitten

I think that if CMs don't start telling people off now, it'll be like the smoking ban soon enough: there on paper but not implemented.
I guess a serious accident needs to happen that gains them some serious negative publicity in popular press before they actually enforce both the selfie stick and the smoking ban XD

RockNRoller

Just been talking to guest services about this, the official line is after several incidents including:

1) Lost camera phones and selfie sticks whilst riding on roller coasters.
2) People waving selfie sticks in other guests faces to get a better view of the parade.
3) People walking into things and out in front of moving vehicles.

The decision was made to ban selfie sticks. I then asked about monopods that are fixed securely by a threaded bolt so people could film Disney Dreams and was told that as this is not a selfie stick but a piece of professional equipment, reflected in the price difference, they felt monopods and tripods would be allowed. The cast member concerned is checking and will get back to me. I shall post the update when it comes through.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

A&S&O

Saw a couple of people with selfiesticks in the park today.

One couple are in for a surprise when they view their romantic selfie. We saw a group of people pulling faces in the background. We found it hilarious!
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

RockNRoller

Ladies and Gents I share with you the official reply from Guest Care at DLP

"We thank you for your e-mail and your interest in Disneyland® Paris.

Professional monopods are accepted, as well as tripods up to 25cm in height, only selfie-sticks and Go-Pro-sticks are now banned in our Parks.

We look forward to welcoming you very soon!"

Very pleased with this as it means my recording of Dreams wont be shaking all over the place.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

rebecca20

Don't get me wrong I would never use them on rides / attractions or in shops. But I'm kinda sad that at 8am when the park is dead I won't be able to take a decent group picture in front of the castle (especially since we actually planned to do this at a quiet time to avoid randoms in the back of the photo).

I think a blanket ban is a bit silly enforcement wise, like whats more dangerous smoking in a ride queue (last trip in the queue to BTM two Spanish people) or taking a photo with a selfie stick?! I can't see it being controlled by CMs any better than the smoking ban. Plus I reckon there are bigger issues with security than a selfie stick - its some idiots that are spoiling the fun for everyone else!
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

HildeKitten

I agree with you Rebecca, that it's probably not going to be very much better enforced than the smoking ban. And that REALLY should be enforced.
Frankly I think they should both be enforced.

The issue is indeed that some idiots are spoiling it all for everyone else. There's undoubtedly many people that use a selfie stick in a responsible way that doesn't bother another soul.
But there's also a whole wad of douchebags (pardon my language) that is quite happy to wave them about and be a hindrance or worst: a danger to others.

As for photos at 8am, well we all got on for absolute YEARS (decades and decades) without selfie sticks and we got by asking strangers to take photos then too.

disneymagique

I was in the park two weeks ago, and wanted to use my (professional Manfrotto) monopod to film the parade. Unfortunately, I was told by two castmembers (one confirmed with the other), that I cannot use it in the park.

My (professional) tripod is almost 2 meters high, I used it many times for filming Disney Dreams and other firework shows. I'm wondering is they will complain about this two when I'm back next month.

If I cannot film anymore, then they are really killing my Disney spirit  :'(
Watch my Disney videos at: www.youtube.com/disneymagique

Puffin

I understand your sadness, Disneymagique. But I also understand if there's a ban on selfie sticks, that monopods are forbidden too. Just like there are people who would use selfie sticks in a really responsible way, I believe you handle your monopod with care. But there will also be people who will use that monopod in very dangerous way to get their camera closer to decorations or to get a birds eye view in crowded areas, and that's just as dangerous as irresponsible people handling selfie sticks. Sad but true.
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

HildeKitten

Disneymagique, maybe you can ask RockNRoller to forward you the email in which they confirm that professional monopods are allowed. Then next time you can show that to CMs that tell you you can't use it and prove that DLP indeed confirmed that you _can_ use them.

disneymagique

I understand the reason, and I can respect this. The park must be a safe place for ALL guests.
Unfortunately, I only wish that the castmembers are better instructed.

I will send a e-mail to DLP, to confirm  :)

Watch my Disney videos at: www.youtube.com/disneymagique