Disney's Hotel Santa Fe refurbishment — New "Cars" touches

Started by Kristof, July 30, 2010, 07:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martyn

We had a wonder around the Santa Fe in January. The exterior to this place is horrible, didn't feel like Disney at all, just felt like we were a bright coloured Fomula hotel.

littlemermaid83

Just wondering if safes have been installed in all rooms yet?

Staying here in October, can't say I'm overly thrilled about it lol.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

WalkerboyUK

Safes are in the rooms now.

As per my comment on another thread, according to staff that my wife spoke to on Wednesday evening, the Santa Fe will be renamed "Cars Hotel" from September.

ed-uk

i could be wrong of course but it does sound like a joke to me. Hotel Santa Fe renamed Cars Hotel? We'll see in September. The SL hotel has Some Bambi touches in it now apparently, that could become hotel Bambi if we used the same logic. Disney would have to do some major re-themeing at the Hotel Santa Fe to call it the Cars hotel in my opinion.
Ed & David

dagobert

I really hope it is a joke. Cars Hotel sounds just cheap and so un-Disney. They also added Bambi to the Sequoia Lodge and this hotle will also not renamed "Bambi Hotel".

I have already said it, but I'm going to repeat it. All hotels are themed to a region in the USA and are named after that places. It would ruin the continuity. So hopefully it is really just a joke and Disney will stick with Santa Fe.

dagobert

Quote from: "ed-uk"i could be wrong of course but it does sound like a joke to me. Hotel Santa Fe renamed Cars Hotel? We'll see in September. The SL hotel has Some Bambi touches in it now apparently, that could become hotel Bambi if we used the same logic. Disney would have to do some manger re-themeing at the Hotel Santa Fe to call it the Cars hotel in my opinion.

It seems we had the same thoughts. :)

ed-uk

Cars Hotel sounds like a posh name for a garage to me.
Ed & David

Josh

Maybe the sign that this was written on was just misread. If it said something like: "We're turning the Santa Fe into a Cars' Hotel" and didn't necessarily mean "We are renaming it to 'Cars Hotel.' "
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

mattboywonder

Quote from: "Meph"Maybe the sign that this was written on was just misread. If it said something like: "We're turning the Santa Fe into a Cars' Hotel" and didn't necessarily mean "We are renaming it to 'Cars Hotel.' "

I am staying their next week so will keep an eye out for any such signs
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

ed-uk

Disney are definitely introducing their characters into some of their hotels.
Ed & David

DutchBrit

Perhaps it will be a "Cars" hotel, but that won't be the actual name. Surely they'd go with "Radiator Springs" or something along those lines? I'm assuming it won't be the "Cosy Cone", as that would require quite a major re-modeling....

I can see that a lot of people don't like the idea, but consider all the little boys who would be over-joyed to get a Cars hotel. I have one of them myself!

davewasbaloo

Dutch Brit - Disney used to be more than about what kids wanted. Far more. Then Iger took over the damn company and turned it into a kiddy land.
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

Quote from: "DutchBrit"Perhaps it will be a "Cars" hotel, but that won't be the actual name. Surely they'd go with "Radiator Springs" or something along those lines? I'm assuming it won't be the "Cosy Cone", as that would require quite a major re-modeling....

I can see that a lot of people don't like the idea, but consider all the little boys who would be over-joyed to get a Cars hotel. I have one of them myself!

I see what you mean, but little boys and girls aren't the only guests to DLRP. It's bad enough that parents look at us, because we are queuing for Dumbo or the Tea Cups. Disneyland isn't just for kids, it should be for all ages. Unfortunately Disney is focusing too much on under 10 year olds.

There are chatacters all over the resort, so there is really no need to change the hotels as well.

DutchBrit

Quotesee what you mean, but little boys and girls aren't the only guests to DLRP

Well, of course not, but they do make up a sizable chuck of the market, and were always intended to, no? The lower end hotels are the ones that are most likely to be used by families and therefore it makes marketing sense to make them attractive to children ways that the cheaper off-site motels can't offer. And that means using the Disney assets, which are the films and characters.

And frankly, although it isn't all about the films, anyone going to Disneyland should have a a pretty high tolerance level for the Disney characters. Although I can see space for having other hotels with a more "grown-up"vibe. The HNY would seem a prime candidate for that.

davewasbaloo

Two points, Disneyland was always designed to be a place for all ages, and Walt even talked about the importance of not talking down to kids.

Secondly, from when Disneyland opened up in 1955 until Splash Mountain opened in 1989, the toon based attractions and theming were relegated to Fantasyland only, that was 34 years!  I don't mind the odd meet and greet, but when toons come at the expense of real entertainment, theming, dining or hotels, it makes my blood boil. Disneyland never became famous because of the toons in it, it was because of the attention to detail and the impact it had on people when visiting.

I doubt Khrushev would have gotten into such a huff for not visiting Disneyland today, but back in the 60's, it caused a real diplomatic issue. Or the fact Sweden review their whole approach to waste management based on the hyacinth project in WDW. These things would never happen with the low ball tooning. But most folks around here seem really ignorant of what Disney used to be and what they used to stand for.

If little Alfie or Brittany are happy, I suppose that's all that matters these days.
since 2001 (many before that)