Crush's Coaster

Started by Anthony, July 18, 2006, 07:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandmath

Quote from: "Alan"Hey, I just remembered a few things that Crush's Coaster was supposed to have, but doesn't seem to...

- What happened to the "dry for wet" effects? Does dry for wet simply mean a black room with bubble projections? I thought there was more to it than that.

- Wasn't there supposed to be a water splash effect outside, as the vehicles drop outside?

- At the top of the main lift hill, weren't the vehicles supposed to break through some kind of mist screen projection? I imagined something similar to the Davy Jones effect on the Pirates of the Carribean ride.

Most of these were fan rumors spread over the internet.... They were never planned for the ride.

I think "dry for wet" was used as an expression, to say that different techniques would be used to make for a believable under the sea experience. True dry-for-wet technology is used in our Nautilus or at the 20K attraction at TDS.

RnRCj

I rode Dragon's Fury at Chessington yesterday (the same type of coaster as Crush), and it was quite rough. Is Crush's Coaster the same, or is it smooth?

TowMater

This is what I think about the ride even though I have seen some videos of it.

Queue Area: Wonder what the path feels like, sand? It will feel like Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach at WDW, I also like the way they did the rocks and the shed thing.

Harbour Area: I like the sound effects when a car comes out with all of the seagulls and the sea.

Coaster itself: It is mostly dark of all seas suppose to be but I am not pleased about the cars of two fowards and two backwards, I was expecting it to be like the cars from "Space Mountain" or "Big Thunder Mountain".
"To all who come to his happy place, Welcome" - Walt Disney

Previous Disney Visits

DLRP  | May 2001           |Newport Bay
WDW  | October 2004    | Calabry Parc Villas
WDW  | October 2006    | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | May 2008          | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | August 2008      | All Star Movies
DLRP   | November 2008 | Explorers Hotel
WDW  |August 2009       |Pop Century

skalos

Yeah I think Im going to hate riding it backwards... But then I can ride it a lot of times in order to get the front seats...  :P

TowMater

Quote from: "x-charlotte-x"
Quote from: "tubbsy"I just wanna go and see it all for myself, And I'm sulking I've got to wait so long.  :(

At least you don't have to wait as long as me tubbsy!  :( We're not planning on going until September 2008.

You think that is worse than my next visit to DLRP? Mine is in Christmas 2008 and I wanted to know if OUADP (Once Upon a Dream Parade) will be still on, I know this is the wrong topic but I just wanted to know.
"To all who come to his happy place, Welcome" - Walt Disney

Previous Disney Visits

DLRP  | May 2001           |Newport Bay
WDW  | October 2004    | Calabry Parc Villas
WDW  | October 2006    | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | May 2008          | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | August 2008      | All Star Movies
DLRP   | November 2008 | Explorers Hotel
WDW  |August 2009       |Pop Century

fly_with_me_dumbo

i thought the car thingy you are in turns round so one minute you'll be backwards and anohter you'll be forwards???

Anthony

Quote from: "RnRCj"I rode Dragon's Fury at Chessington yesterday (the same type of coaster as Crush), and it was quite rough. Is Crush's Coaster the same, or is it smooth?
Hmm, rough like bumpy or rough like throwing you around? I rode Spinball Whizzer on Wednesday and it was lovely and smooth, but I was surprised (again) by how fierce some of the corners were.  It made me feel a bit sick actually, I hope the Crush layout doesn't do that. :lol:

Quote from: "TowMater"Coaster itself: It is mostly dark of all seas suppose to be but I am not pleased about the cars of two fowards and two backwards, I was expecting it to be like the cars from "Space Mountain" or "Big Thunder Mountain".
Well then you've been kept in the dark for the past 2 years! It'd be impossible to do this coaster with BTM/SM style trains, not to mention making no sense since you're riding on a turtle shell.

Quote from: "TowMater"I know this is the wrong topic
Why ask here then? The OUADP topic is only a few clicks away!

Quote from: "fly_with_me_dumbo"i thought the car thingy you are in turns round so one minute you'll be backwards and anohter you'll be forwards???
Yes, the spinning unlocks after the first drop inside the Coaster section of the ride.  The Angler Fish and Nemo & Squirt projections are both doubled-up, you honestly don't miss a thing.  It'll be a different sensation doing that first part of the ride forward or backwards though, but then it's just a good reason to re-ride, hey.

Grandmath

Quote from: "Baloo"Yes, the spinning unlocks after the first drop inside the Coaster section of the ride.  The Angler Fish and Nemo & Squirt projections are both doubled-up, you honestly don't miss a thing.  It'll be a different sensation doing that first part of the ride forward or backwards though, but then it's just a good reason to re-ride, hey.

In fact the spinning unlocks at the top of the lift hill. It doesn't spin that fast though, it is pretty smooth.

tubbsy

So those of you lucky to have ridden it...
In your opinions do you think the height restriction will stay at 1:20 or be lowered?

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

Martha86

I'm curious how much of a 'thrill ride' this will be. Is it the same kind of feeling as Big Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones or Rock n' Rollercoaster? Obviously there are no loops but some spinning coasters can be quite intense with the sensation of spinning (Like the Mad Hatter's Tea Cups when you spin them really fast and get a 'flying' sensation in your stomach) combined with bunny-hops and sweeping corners on the tracks.

Just wondering what ride in the park you might compare it to - those who have already had the privilege of riding it - in terms of excitement (not because of theming etc) - just purely out of how you felt when you rode it?  :D

CafeFantasia

Hi Martha,

The coaster portion of Crush's Coaster is a regular Maurer Söhne Xtended SC 2000 coaster, which can actually be found in 6 other parks around the World, as well as numerous travelling fairs. Here's an on-ride video showing what the coaster really looks like when it isn't enclosed in a buildling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmG7_Ehc1io

The sensation you get on these kinds of coasters is unique. You don't spin wildly, but you're constantly facing a different direction. So, one moment you're travelling forwards, the next sideways, the next forwards again. Because of these dynamic directional changes, the experience you get as a rider is very surprising, disorientating, and unpredictable.

Comparing it to existing attractions in Disneyland Park, I'd say the sensation is like riding in a Tea Cup on the Temple of Peril track.

Grandmath

I rode Tea Cups last week and I almost felt sick at the end. Crush is much more fun in that way, I didn't feel bad at all.

RnRCj

Quote from: "Grandmath"In fact the spinning unlocks at the top of the lift hill. It doesn't spin that fast though, it is pretty smooth.

Glad to hear that it's pretty smooth. Dragon's Fury at Chessington hurt my hips :cry:

Nath

I'm quite surprised that disney didn't custom design this spinning coaster, Dragons Fury was and it seems the best Maurer Söhne spinning coasters are the ones which are custom. Personally the Xtended SC 2000 isn't the best choice, for excitment and thrills, but I suppose it's suitable for the amount of space they had and the general public wouldn't know the difference between models.

Dragons fury is only jolty because the ride is a little old, and hasn't been properly maintained or oiled. Also it's had a lot of down time recently because of some problems with the cars, so it's not only the worn track but the cars too.

Nemo shouldn't be jolty, as everything will be oiled and new, so no worries about that. Also don't be fooled by the video that Alan posted, it may seem that you don't spin a lot, but depending on the way you weigh the cars you can get a balanced spin, or a wild one.

Below is a very quick top down diagram how to make sure what sort of spin you get. Each number represents the seats, which are back to back.

[1] [2]
-------
[3] [4]

If you want a crazy spin, have the 2 larger people sit on the seats 2 and 3 or 1 and 4, whatever one is fine as long as the large people are diagonally together.

And if you want an equal spin, simply place the two largest people on one side, so either 1 and 2 or 3 and 4.

This technique isn't speculation or myth, but it's the way the cars and balancing are designed straight from the manufacturer.

-Nath :)

Kristof

The Crush's Coaster logo has arrived.  Looks pretty cool in real life:

Photos here

:D