Captain Hook's Pirate Ship - 2011 refurbishment

Started by Anthony, January 27, 2010, 09:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

What a nightmare it must be for DLP - you finally get the treehouse and labyrinth up to scratch and meanwhile the pirate ship starts to look like this:

More photos at http://www.pixiedust.be/pagina278.html

CentralPlazaPerson

A good paint job is needed here.
What exactly is happening under the ship?

Anthony

Well you can see the concrete platform the ship is sitting on. Either the water level is lower than it should be or some boards that were covering the gap have gone.

Here's how it looked in 1992:

Anyone know when and why the colour was changed, getting rid of the black across the middle?

CentralPlazaPerson

I wouldn't think the water levels are lower or are they?  :|
All I know is that strip across the middle with no colour needs to be painted along with the rest of the ship.

-breeno-

Woah, the ship really is in bad condition.  I knew it was in bad need of a re-paint but now it's just screaming for some attention.  It looks even worse when you compare it to that 1992 picture, the ship looks beautiful in that picture.

My guess is that water level has lowered over the years, it wouldn't be impossible to happen.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

luke85

Oh dear, it's in a very sad state indeed. Let's hope whoever is in charge pulls their finger out and gives the ship the same treatment as the treehouse and the labyrinth.

It's such a shame because the ship shouldn't have ever gotten into this state. Something should have been done a long time ago. I hope all of the current maintenance problems are fixed before the 20th anniversary, wouldn't that be great?

dagobert

Now Disney should put all new attractions on hold and should use the money for refurbishment of the whole resort. That's really a bad show!!!

Martyn

What do you mean by "you finally get the treehouse and labyrinth up to scratch " - in January hadly any of the effects were working in the Labyrinth...

davewasbaloo

Imagine if they spent the TSPL on refurb and quality entertainment instead. I can wish.
since 2001 (many before that)

HildeKitten

I thought it looked quite pretty all frozen in last Saturday.

It reminded me of the scene from the live action Peter Pan movie where the ship is frozen in and everything starts to melt and get summery when Pan returns from Neverland with the Darlings.

johnd331

QuoteI thought it looked quite pretty all frozen in last Saturday.

Yeah, it looks nice from a distance, up until you get closer and realize that Captain Hook has been hunting Peter Pan for quite some years without returning to his ship.

Not that I would consider buying something from the "Galley" in the ship, but does somebody know if it has been open for the last 15 years or so? :)

HildeKitten

I've seen it open a couple of times last year.  It was open in August for sure.
And I saw it open on of the two days I was there in October as well.
It wasn't open in November, and I didn't check earlier this month so I couldn't tell.

OS73

Has anyone seen the ship open in the last six months?

Every time that I'm there I check, but not in the morning or the afternoon. And I've been three times this year.

Ogan Stevens

//http://www.disneymagique.nl/thumb.php?location=47&location_detail=3
Watch my Disney videos at: //http://www.youtube.com/disneymagique

HelygenC

I just went a couple of days ago and it wasnt open. I went on the tour guide and the guides didnt seem to think that the ship was being painted any time soon. But the playground next to it was being painted so maybe they'll move onto the ship when they're done.

Kristof

Quote from: "HelygenC"I just went a couple of days ago and it wasnt open. I went on the tour guide and the guides didnt seem to think that the ship was being painted any time soon. But the playground next to it was being painted so maybe they'll move onto the ship when they're done.

The Pirates' Beach refurbishment was scheduled, but there's no work planned on the ship this fiscal year.  I heard rumours it might be refurbished in FY 11.

The ship was closed for guests last year, don't expect to see it reopen any time soon.