Last Chance Café terrace/extension

Started by Anthony, September 02, 2009, 03:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RnRCj

QuoteYou're very critical when it comes to DLP.
Yes - because we know they can do better!! There's a whole load of evidence. We only criticize because we want DLP to be the best it can be, rather than just accepting a low level of quality! :wink:

The reality of this is that the terrace is not up to standard it should be. And something needs to be done about it.

In DL California they have recently added a new food stand in Fantasyland. And guess what? It looks fantastic! It fits the theme perfectly and has lots of fitting details! All for just a food stand!

In Paris, the new terrace doesn't fit the theme perfectly and has details (props) which don't actually make sense. We shouldn't have to wait for it to get aged. It should get aged in the first place.

As Anthony said earlier, they simply didn't jump the last hurdle on this one. They were close - I mean, they actually added props! But Disney always used to jump the last hurdle - and sometimes jump an extra one! :P

ed-uk

I'm pleased you're  happy with the new food stand in Fantasyland at Disneyland in California. I could say the same about the new food stand that was built in fantasyland at DLP. You know, the one with the tree. I think the mistake was made at the Last Chance Cafe when it wasn't built with covered seating in the first place. Disneyland Paris have tried to put that right.
Ed & David

RnRCj

Quote from: "ed-uk"I'm pleased you're  happy with the new food stand in Fantasyland at Disneyland in California. I could say the same about the new food stand that was built in fantasyland at DLP. You know, the one with the tree.
Yes, l'Arbre Enchanté! That's sort of what I meant when I said we have evidence they can do better! They do produce little gems like this every now and then. There's the food carts at the Café Hyperion too.

Anthony

http://www.dlrptimes.com/article-last-c ... 73083.html

Was this section of Last Chance Café there all along? It uses a different (nicer) wood, has a different (nicer) roof and its supports are actually detailed at the top, just like they should be.

If it isn't new, why is it the only bit that doesn't look like it came straight from Mr Bricolage?

For me, it's still the front of the extension which ruins it. The flat wood panels behind the signage are way too thin and flat. Compared to the very bulky, real wood everywhere else in Thunder Mesa, it really does look like a flatpack.

The unused space above the sign is weird too. There should be something there.

dagobert

In my opinion the terrace doesn't look bad, but I have to agree with you that the front looks a little bit weird with the flat wood panels behind the logo.

pussinboots

The problem is, like RnRCj said, that it looks as though they glanced at the existing buildings and went "yeah, we've got the gist of it." It doesn't look authentic or as if they put much effort into the design.

But it's not horrible... They've done much worse.

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Quote from: "pussinboots"It doesn't look authentic or as if they put much effort into the design. But it's not horrible... They've done much worse.
Sad, but that sums it up quite nicely.

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Oh, my. Alain made some panoramic pics that reveal the scale of the mess, it is much worse than I feared:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/ ... hance.html

This thing is much, much larger than I imagined, and it does indeed totally break the smooth curve of buildings between the Lucky Nugget and Phantom Manor entrance that was there before.  :(

jeakat24

Thanks for posting that Nicolai.

I'll start with a positive: the theming inside looks very well thought out. I like the reward poster wall, although I will reserve judgment until I've seen it in person because it might be a bit tacky.

I totally agree with Ed-Uk when you say that they should have thought about the weather and built a covered terrace in the first place. It's a very good point but if they had have built it in the first place then it wouldn't have looked like what they have given us now because, as many people have said, the imagineers working on the original development of DLP had thought of every detail.

If it had been built in the first place I suspect that they would have designed the cafe to be further back so that the terrace was in line with/ only stuck out a bit further than the rest of the buildings.

Of course they couldn't move the Last Chance Cafe back with this new development, far too much cost, plus I think it would eat into the inside of the Lucky Nugget, so that obviously wasn't viable. However, where the Last Chance terrace is on a diagonal in relation to the other buildings, the side sticks out, why couldn't they make the corner that points towards the shop and the entrance to BTM a diagonal too? At least that would have fitted in with the flow of the existing buildings and improved the eyeline.

Also, you're right Antony, that front sign looks like cheap flat pack!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Anthony

Quote from: "jeakat24"I'll start with a positive: the theming inside looks very well thought out. I like the reward poster wall...
Hehe, I like that the positives are things that were already there.

Quote from: "jeakat24"Also, you're right Antony, that front sign looks like cheap flat pack!
Looking at these pictures, it's still the only thing that really stands out as "wrong" to me. Compare it to the very bulky, well-designed frontages and signs of the Lucky Nugget/Silver Spur and it looks like a temporary sign you'd find stuck on a construction wall.

Maybe they should take that front panel off and just have it empty, leaving the gaps between the wooden supports, as a general terrace, then re-install the original signage on the building behind, which is still completely bare.

Anyway, it's fun to see Alain questioning something at DLP. When will he get onto Studio 1?

Timbo

Looking at the new photos I think it looks far worse than I thought !! :(  The metal roof looks awful ,and the signage doesn't work at all ! It doesn't look like a proper building , it should have been made to look like stables or a barn , really it is just a giant garden gazebo that you could pick up from B&Q ! The attempt at some themeing inside is the only good thing, at least they made some effort there !

smurfy74

we sat there on Monday and my step mum who had never been before thought it had been there ages and they had just fixed the roof, and the cafe was packed and all the tables were being used so it looks like its more of a winner than the blockbuster cafe

smurfy74

ive just got back from a great trip, and ive got some photos that show this 'unweathered' roof actually fits in!!!! As I came out of phantom manor and looked at the roof I realised it matches EXACTLY the roof on the river boat loading area, the 2 roofs look as if if they balance each other out. It doesnt look unweathered/unfinished at all, it looks exactly right!!!

ed-uk

Please, let's see your photos.
Ed & David

smurfy74

here we go

last chance

loading area

sorry about the quality as they were taken on my iphone as my battery died on my camera

but can you see they look the same and like i said when you come from phantom manor they really balance each other