Last Chance Café terrace/extension

Started by Anthony, September 02, 2009, 03:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbo

I think this looks quite good really , I was suprised to see the props added under the roof space ! It seems as if they have actually put a bit of thought into it , not perfect but I don't think any DLP fan would find any new addition to the parks 100% perfect ! (myself included !)

jeakat24

I'm really torn. I think it looks good, especially if you're sat inside it with all the themeing, and I certainly think the Last Chance Cafe needed some cover. I also agree that the old umbrella's didn't exactly have a wild west charm about them.

However, I'm just wondering if the view as you walk into Frontierland will be diminished? Obviously the view of BTM and most of the lake will be unaffected. But I loved walking through the big wooden doors and trying to peak round the corner of the Lucky Nugget and see Phantom Manor resting on the hill. Perhaps that's just me and obviously I'm not going to have imagineers seeking written permission from myself to go ahead!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

jeakat24

Also, I'm very surprised they chose not to tile the roof, surely the point of the deisn of the building they've created is to be in keeping with the rest of the area and for it not to stick out like a sore thumb! Even if the metal had been weathered, distressed in some way or actually made out of cooper that would have been better than what they have at the moment?
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Quote from: "jeakat24"...  However, I'm just wondering if the view as you walk into Frontierland will be diminished? Obviously the view of BTM and most of the lake will be unaffected. But I loved walking through the big wooden doors and trying to peak round the corner of the Lucky Nugget and see Phantom Manor resting on the hill. Perhaps that's just me ...

No, not just you, that was my first thought too as I realized how big this terrace extension is. The curve of buildings between the Lucky Nugget Saloon and Phantom Manor is just lovely and so well designed and I fear very much this thing breaks it.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "jeakat24"Also, I'm very surprised they chose not to tile the roof, surely the point of the deisn of the building they've created is to be in keeping with the rest of the area and for it not to stick out like a sore thumb! Even if the metal had been weathered, distressed in some way or actually made out of cooper that would have been better than what they have at the moment?

This is the biggest prob I have with it. If it were weathered the way the other buildings had been (and were opening days), then it would not have been as big a prob to me.
since 2001 (many before that)

jeakat24

Well yes quite. I'm sure to some people we can come across as picky and moany, after all it's just little details, but that's exactly the problem. With a Disney resort you expect everything to be well thought out and every little detail be taken care of, including all of those little touches that just adds the magic the way only Disney can.
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

RnRCj

Quote from: "jeakat24"Well yes quite. I'm sure to some people we can come across as picky and moany, after all it's just little details, but that's exactly the problem. With a Disney resort you expect everything to be well thought out and every little detail be taken care of, including all of those little touches that just adds the magic the way only Disney can.
Yes! Thats's exactly it! We moan because we know Disney can do better. If there was no evidence that they could do better, there would no need to moan. :)

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Not only can they do better, they must do better. In my opinion the french managers and their "Imagineers" have a obligation to keep this masterpiece that the American Imagineers left them with in the best possible form.

Don't forget, our Magic Kingdom is a very special one, the Imagineers really went out of their ways to top the existing ones in every possible manner. No other MK comes even close in regards of the quality of the details and the themeing. No other has a three story Pirates, no other has a living and breathing dragon inside its' castle, no other has a Big Thunder Mountain in the middle of a lake, no other has so much intricate details wherever you look! So imho they can not just go on and build cheap stuff wherever they like if they are not willing to put the same amount of effort (and money) into it that is just necessary to keep the top level they have to deal with in DLP.

:x

ed-uk

I think the American imagineers should have thought about the weather and built a covered terrace in the first place. It looks new and added on because it is. I wonder how may people used the cafe, it was always closed when we went. What's the good of that? In the summer Disney used to arrange tables and chairs around umbrellas on the terrace. No great themeing with that. My local pub could do it. I think the covered seating is a much better idea. Maybe the cafe will be open more now. I don't know how much it cost to build, but money being tight at DLP they must have had a budget to keep to. So could they have done better? As for the themeing, it looked fine when I first saw the pictures. I don't know how authentic it is, I don't even know if they had covered seating outside cafes in the wild west.
Ed & David

RnRCj

Nicolai - well said!

Quote from: "ed-uk"It looks new and added on because it is.
It shouldn't do though. They could have put a lot more effort into blending it in with it's surroundings - making it look more authentic and as if it had been there all along!

Quote from: "ed-uk"So could they have done better?
Yes, and they need to do better if they want remain the best of the best in the theme park industry.

ed-uk

When it's been rained and snowed on a few times it won't look new anymore, it should blend in better, by which time the whole area will need redecorating so it looks in a good state of repair, just like on opening day. Alot comes down to money in the end. So maybe they didn't do such a bad job. It's better than sitting out in the rain, or under a B&Q style umbrella.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

Sorry Ed-UK, I do think you give Disney too much of a free pass. This cafe was always built be like an ODV, that was the intention, with counter service at the Lucky Nugget and table at the Silver Spur.

Disneyland was awesome back in 1955 because of the attention to detail, they had "agers" in imagineering who's job it was to make these things look authentic. And when Space Mountain opened in DLP, Tim Delany made them repaint the canon because it was too clean looking (ruining the illusion). Sadly, Space Mountain is again too clean looking on the canon and this new ediface is not aged sufficiently, therefore it is lacking the Disney difference.

ed-uk

It's not so much that I like to give Disney a free pass, it's just that they make these wonderful theme park attractions happen. They design it and get it built, it doesn't mean they shouldn't change anything if they need to. In my view it would have been better if Disney had designed and built the cafe with a covered terrace in the first place. That would have been better suited to the Paris weather. As it is, yes I agree it does look like the terrace has just been added on, and that's because it wasn't designed to have a terrace in the first place, which I think was a small mistake. Disneyland still does have a wonderful attention to detail. But there's not much point having a cafe in a theme park if it's hardly ever open. Since Disneyland opened in California in 1955, Disney have made many changes and modifications to it. And in my view they are entitled to do so. They covered the terrace at Plaza Gardens at DLP.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "ed-uk"But there's not much point having a cafe in a theme park if it's hardly ever open. Since Disneyland opened in California in 1955, Disney have made many changes and modifications to it. And in my view they are entitled to do so. They covered the terrace at Plaza Gardens at DLP.

Ah yes, and I am not against change. But every change has been with tlc and befitting at DL (except the changes on Tom Sawyer Island, I cannot say that of DLP or even WDW to a degree).

If this area has been shingled, or the metal had been aged, then I could perhaps be more accepting.

But when I think about this, and Woody's Roundup, and the Pocahantas playground, and the Stitch show in Discoveryland, and the Backlot express changes, and Toy Story Playland, and even Toon Studios, I believe DLP has lost it, and is closer to Merlin or Busch than the Disney I fell in love with.

ed-uk

It's all a matter of opinion, too bad if you think DLP have lost it, I don't. I think it makes sense to have a covered terrace at the Cafe, and it won't look new for long. You're very critical when it comes to DLP. I don't know what you mean about Disneyland in California when you say " every change has been with tic and befitting at DL" This is the park that produced Light Magic, what a farce that was. They closed the county bears in Critter Country and Stuck in Winnie The Pooh. That was very controversial with many people on forums. The Submarine Voyage sat closed for years and years until they opened it again as a Nemo attraction. If DLP had done that, you would say that they had lost it. I think Euro Disney have done a good job with the changes and improvements made at the Studios. They've tried to please everyone and cover all ages.
Ed & David