Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "Willow"
Quote from: "pussinboots"Face it, this thing is on its way and it's going to be ug-ly.

In your opinion it will be ugly. I do not see it that way.

I think the whole land will look great. I will gladly admit that it isn't, if it isn't.
I don't like being negative about things which haven't given me a reason to be negative yet.

I do agree that its not movie-park related, oh well.

Ya, but you like Alton Towers, and that place blows so much we have not bothered going back in 8 years.

I don't really know what Alton Towers has to do with my opinion of Toy Story Playland?

I treat both parks differently.

Whoknew?

After looking on this map:

Quote from: "Anthony"

for me it looks like no hongkong disneyland is getting a carbon copy of paris, but paris is getting a carbon copy of hkdl. on the hkdl map the entrances make sence. you enter it on the right, walk through the land and then leave it on the left...
but in paris you walk throuh it and on the right theres a path (outside of the land according to the artwork) to bring the people back to toon studio:

Quote from: "lil-shawn"

to me its just not looking right, or not as if it was designed for paris...

Anthony

Quote from: "Whoknew?"but in paris you walk throuh it and on the right theres a path (outside of the land according to the artwork) to bring the people back to toon studio:

to me its just not looking right, or not as if it was designed for paris...
To me it hints that one day, there'll be something much more important and substantial just beyond the current Costuming building! It leaves Toon Studio open to further expansion without everyone having to pass through this one route.

Also note that the path between the attractions looks a little wider in Hong Kong, and Slinky Dog in Paris has an extra viewing area next to it, with a nice set of steps. (Level changes are still something major for WDS) So it's much more off the beaten track and can obviously be avoided easily... lol.

The Butlin Boy

The way I see it, DLP had either two options here; Toy Story Playland, or Toy Story Midway Mania. The same goes for HKDL. In the cases of WDS and HKDL, from the two options, I personally think that they have chosen the correct ones. Now I know a lot of people will not agree with me here and say that TSMM would be the better option, and I can understand why they would say that. However, both HKDL and DLP share a lot in common with each other that makes this decision a good one. Mainly, their financial history/status, and the size of their parks.

The first and most obvious reason for TSPL is the fact that it is cheaper. Both resorts have been unlucky with their finance, and by adding three small attractions instead of the one big one is probably cheaper. Both parks opening almost identical versions also allows them to save money too. This can help them to fund bigger attractions in the future, hopefully in DLP's case this will mean Ratatouille and The Little Mermaid.

The second reason is that it is adding more attractions to the parks. Both WDS and HKDL have been slated for being too small and not having enough to do. Although TSMM has a re-rideability factor to it, three attractions and an immersive themed area are a lot better I feel. It may also be a great marketing feature as well, advertising 3 new attractions rather than 1. And from the point of view of the land not the rides, it adds something that the studios really needs; a well themed, colourful and imaginative area that people can roam around and explore, as opposed to TSMM which would just bring another industrial building that the Studios has too many of, and would cause problems with fitting in Ratatouille as well.

I think that Toy Story Playland is WDS's and HKDL's Toy Story Midway Mania at the end of the day. The American parks and Tokyo can afford to have TSMM instead of TSPL because they are big enough, have enough to do, and have enough money that they can afford them, however, as I have already pointed out, WDS and HKDL do not. Toy Story Playland FTW :P

Gareth

Overall i think it looks amazing a lot like the alice in wonderland walthough in the disney park which i think is great from the art work it looks like there will be lots of little things that you can have photos taken with which is all good by me so overall i cant wait for it to open my little neice who is 8 looked at the art work and also think that it looks like fun and hopes to meet some new characters inside it aka bo peep and potato head

Gareth  :D

[size=150]Please Follow Me - - - - Twitter.com/Gareth2100 ---- Thanks

RnRCj

I'm shocked at the postive responses.

Huge, ugly rides. Bare steel. No relation to theme. Non-family-friendly attractions. Unoriginal attractions......yet this is still a good addition to the park? It'd be a good addition to somewhere like Chessington, but not Disneyland. No no.

We're not even get a shop or food kiosk!

Quote from: "Anthony"I wouldn't expect flat rides like these to have a ToT-style story, either. Does Dumbo have some mysterious legend I've missed? No, it's just a fun ride on Dumbo. Sixteen of them. At once.
I don't expect these rides to have elaborate stories either. But the theme they have must make sense. Toys in a garden do not relate to the Studios theme at all, whereas Dumbo in Fantasyland does. :wink:

pussinboots

Quote from: "RnRCj"I'm shocked at the postive responses.

Huge, ugly rides. Bare steel. No relation to theme. Non-family-friendly attractions. Unoriginal attractions......yet this is still a good addition to the park? It'd be a good addition to somewhere like Chessington, but not Disneyland. No no.

We're not even get a shop or food kiosk!

Quote from: "Anthony"I wouldn't expect flat rides like these to have a ToT-style story, either. Does Dumbo have some mysterious legend I've missed? No, it's just a fun ride on Dumbo. Sixteen of them. At once.
I don't expect these rides to have elaborate stories either. But the theme they have must make sense. Toys in a garden do not relate to the Studios theme at all, whereas Dumbo in Fantasyland does. :wink:

Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Well, anyway. Maybe they'll surprise us all during the 20th.

(Also, with the crowds the resort has been seeing these past few years, can we still not afford something a little more extravagant? Couldn't just a tiny bit of that placemaking masterplan from a few years ago have been added to this project? A hot dog stand, maybe? I just fail to see why we're still partying like it's 2002.)

DLP-Photos.com

I must say, that I can follow some of the points made by both the people who supports this expansion and the people who are against it.

I like the concept art as far as it seems pretty well themed (expect one attraction), fun for children and best of all green! The Slinky-Dog and Parachute attractions seems rather well themed too and I like that the latest "concepts" shows some place for a huge future expansion (Fingers crossed for Ratatouille Dark Ride). The area seems to have lots of little (however a bit cheap) details, which makes the difference between this and a part of the local fair ground.

However, the choice of attractions is a bit disappointing - the studios could need more family adventures and not necessarily a new Thrill-Ride (add to that that it is placed in an area, which seems to be mainly for children). Regarding this ride the size and steel structure has been discussed a lot - and it has to be themed just a bit (Hot Wheels Track?) to justify the size and structure.

Whether this will fit into the concept of the studio? Hmm, hard to say right now. An easy way to do it was to put up some studio signs as has been said earlier or perhaps a giant boomstick coming in through the greenery :lol:

Overall however I am satisfied - it could be way better coming from Disney, but still the area seems well themed and green, which the studios is in serious need of! I won't make my final judgement until I see the final product, but this could turn pretty good :)
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"(Also, with the crowds the resort has been seeing these past few years, can we still not afford something a little more extravagant? Couldn't just a tiny bit of that placemaking masterplan from a few years ago have been added to this project? A hot dog stand, maybe? I just fail to why we're still partying like it's 2002.)
Don't worry, a few days before the land opens they'll wheel in one of the spare Studio Catering Co vans and throw a few Toy Story stickers on it.  And I've said this before, but what happens when all these kids in Toy Story Playland need the toilet? It's a long way from anywhere. Bloody lucky there's a lot of planting...

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "pussinboots"(Also, with the crowds the resort has been seeing these past few years, can we still not afford something a little more extravagant? Couldn't just a tiny bit of that placemaking masterplan from a few years ago have been added to this project? A hot dog stand, maybe? I just fail to why we're still partying like it's 2002.)
Don't worry, a few days before the land opens they'll wheel in one of the spare Studio Catering Co vans and throw a few Toy Story stickers on it.  And I've said this before, but what happens when all these kids in Toy Story Playland need the toilet? It's a long way from anywhere. Bloody lucky there's a lot of planting...

That is a horrible thought, but we all know that this is actually going to happen when it opens :x

I can only hope that we'll get a Ratatouille version of the Toilets of Terror :P

Reiana

Hm, I really don't know what to say about this concept art.
May it's just the colors it is made of, but I think I don't like it.
It look strange to me somehow. Something is not right and it is not the rides.

I think I'll have to wait untill the real Toy Story Land is finished.

giorgio1712

Man, so much negativity. Cant we at least wait until its finished, THEN criticise?

RnRCj

Quote from: "giorgio1712"Man, so much negativity. Cant we at least wait until its finished, THEN criticise?
It's been said before - you don't always need to see something finished to have an opinion on it. :)

Andys2992

It doesnt really look like my type.

I still think TSMM would be much better, went on it numerous times at WDW although it always had an overflowing que.

This idea looks somewhat cheap in my opinion although I am aware DLRP does not have as much money as the American counterparts which are fully operated by Disney.

I would say put TSMM in or save up money and build Splash Mountain in Disneyland.

pussinboots

What is true is that Midway Mania would have been yet another ride in a box, while Toy Story Playland will provide some nice area development. That's a good point.

If only they'd come up with a better idea. But what?

A member on MiceChat has this excellent theory about Disney no longer engaging in "themeing" or "escapism," but rather in branding. They include just enough movie references and graphics for the thing to pass as a Disney ride, but not enough to fully transport you. You're not really in outer space, you're in the Disneyland Park looking at Buzz Lightyear props. You're not in Radiator Springs, you're in the Walt Disney Studios looking at a bunch of stuff you saw in Cars.*

The result of that "branding" is that whole areas of parks have lost their pivot and now cease to make sense. (As I've bitched about endlessly, of course.)

I wish they had consistently continued the Mid-Century/Art Deco thing throughout the park, just like almost every part of the Disneyland Park has a 19th Century vibe to some degree (even Small World.) That could have tied everything together, and given the Imagineers a "starting point," something to work with. Toon Studio could have been Whimsical Deco, Hollywood Boulevard and Production Courtyard Glam Deco and the Backlot Industrial 1930s Deco. It would have been marvelous, wouldn't it. Go see The Aviator and tell me you disagree, haha.

But the way Toon Studio is now, I suppose they might as well do another loopy Andy's Room thing. I give up. Bring on the 80 ft. steel carny rides...

*Yes, Fantasyland doesn't really support that whole argument, with its multiple Dumbos and all. But at least that's the world's most appealing version of that branding approach — Dumbo doesn't sit in some depressing corner with a flat backdrop, after all. There's also the fact that Fantasyland was covered in an old-timey storybook glaze, while the recent rides are only harmonized by being "colorful."