Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

Quote from: "Willow"The actual rides do not have much detail to them, so there is nothing to suggest that they will look as bad as people are making out. I still believe that this will be a great addition to WDS.

There are a number of places which will look great once built. I'm thinking the little details along the paths and the queue/station of the parachute drop.

I don't understand the argument that these are carnival rides. Does it matter as long as they are fun rides?
Whats everyones opinion of Crush's Coaster? Because that is very much a 'carnival' ride.

So your suggestion is that the enormous steel half-pipe thing might be drawn like an enormous steel half-pipe thing, but might in fact turn out altogether differently; possibly like a pleasant French chateau or invisible.

Or that we should look past the enormous steel half-pipe thing and focus on the lovely gravel-textured asphalt.

Face it, this thing is on its way and it's going to be ug-ly.

Anthony

I agree that Disney in Paris have lost their way. I mean, come on!! We're now finding concept art for our new attractions via a different Disney resort?!! With absolutely no -- ZERO -- word from Euro Disney SCA whatsoever? Not even as a fan but as a shareholder, shouldn't we be told something about this major investment which has already begun?

Indignation over, I am 100% shocked that this land is a) going to be cloned and b) going to Hong Kong Disneyland. It's not a "Magic Kingdom park" land, it's a 2nd gate land... a movie park land. Poor them.

For Walt Disney Studios, I still say this is a (very modestly) positive step. Lots of kinetics, lots of external themeing, lots of colour, well-known characters, interesting paths to walk around, no huge concrete expanses, and as Kristof continually says for good reason, lots and lots of greenery.

My overall opinion on whether it sets the park on a path for eternal doom will depend on whether it is followed by a true Disney dark ride (either Midway Mania or Ratatouille). This is the Storybook Land, now in a few years let's please have the Space Mountain. (I'm forgetting ToT here because to be honest, it should have been there from the start)

By the way, THIS is the land we're getting, a completely mirrored version:

Only difference being the entrance path on the left doesn't curve round like that but continues off the left of the artwork, like in that old plan posted online a few weeks ago. It looks a bit better this way round actually.

RnRCj

Will our TSPL actually have anything that relates it to the theme of the park?

Anthony

Depends what you think the theme of the park is...

Really, there's now two themes -

- the "this is honestly, honestly, a real film studio, honest, we're not lying" of the early attractions like STT and Backlot

- or the "the films come alive", "ride the movies" theme of stuff like Tower of Terror and Crush

I'm guessing it'll technically be a giant film set, but probably without any film equipment lying around. Imagineering seem to have got bored of doing that for some reason, only Flying Carpets has it.

RnRCj

I just don't see how the story of "Andy's toys left in a garden" ties into the Studios theme at all. They could at least (if it is supposed to be a film set) create some signs at the entrance. Maybe stating things like "Toy Story set", or "entering production zone".

This "pick a movie, recreate it, put some movie equipment around it"  theme is getting old though. They're going even more off course now by removing the "put some movie equipment around it" bit, just leaving us with "pick a movie, recreate it".

We need some completely new themes in WDS. Real stories; like Tower of Terror has.

Willow

Quote from: "pussinboots"Face it, this thing is on its way and it's going to be ug-ly.

In your opinion it will be ugly. I do not see it that way.

I think the whole land will look great. I will gladly admit that it isn't, if it isn't.
I don't like being negative about things which haven't given me a reason to be negative yet.

I do agree that its not movie-park related, oh well.

Anthony

Quote from: "RnRCj"They're going even more off course now by removing the "put some movie equipment around it" bit, just leaving us with "pick a movie, recreate it".

We need some completely new themes in WDS. Real stories; like Tower of Terror has.
Surely Tower of Terror has the same problem you described above? I don't see any evidence of filming in that fully-realised hotel, and I wouldn't expect flat rides like these to have a ToT-style story, either. Does Dumbo have some mysterious legend I've missed? No, it's just a fun ride on Dumbo. Sixteen of them. At once.

Don't over-think it now just to create more issues.

Mrs. Jennes

it's too huge, i think
but maybe it stays a rumour or the plans will be improved
:)

A dream comes true the 10th Time in March \'10

Anthony

Looking at the plans, the layout of the Hong Kong version will actually be quite different to Paris, with the two notable additions of the shop and food kiosk area...

Now let's mirror it, producing the correct layout for Paris...

...however each of the attractions at WDS will actually not be mirrored... if that makes sense. So they'll be in these locations but the other way round (RC Racer's queue leading around the right side of the ride, for example).

Parachute Drop also needs to be turned 90 degrees, RC Racer turned anti-clockwise a little and Slinky Dog clockwise slightly. And ignore the shop and food kiosk, Euro Disney SCA obviously doesn't think a theme park needs those!

Admittedly space would be an issue with the WDS layout, especially with it being pushed in by the Tram Tour route, but when you look at the space they've got to expand the park... they could make room.

jennytablina

Am I the only one feeling the rides in Playland are not exactly to my taste? The rides seem more thrill-ride fairgroundish than Disney style

Im not arguing because of the rides being carnival sorts - but I'm not one for rides that throw you about or bungee jumping. Slinky dog ride looks interesting but the rest I'll avoid like I do Cars Race Rally.

Still an extra land MIGHT help ease Crush's horrible queues and it could look quite nice with the big character sculptures and all - reminds me of Honey I Shunk the Kids Playground from Hollywood Studios in theme. Plus it seems to fit the theme of the toon area with all the carnival rides
Going back to Join Mickeys Party! ]

Previous Disney trips:
WDW: 98, 99, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008
DLP: 2005 (Surprise 16th Birthday trip!)

littlemermaid83

Maybe this would look ok if they had Pixar Place type area like they do at DHS.

I'm sure the theming will be excellent its just the choice of rides that i'm not feeling.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Willow"
Quote from: "pussinboots"Face it, this thing is on its way and it's going to be ug-ly.

In your opinion it will be ugly. I do not see it that way.

I think the whole land will look great. I will gladly admit that it isn't, if it isn't.
I don't like being negative about things which haven't given me a reason to be negative yet.

I do agree that its not movie-park related, oh well.

Ya, but you like Alton Towers, and that place blows so much we have not bothered going back in 8 years.
since 2001 (many before that)

Nala_84

I have to say that I like the concept art above, for me it seems like Toy Story Playland will be a colourful playspot for children!

But I'm still not comfortable with this Skateboard-ride, it looks too high, it looks ugly, it looks cheap (imho)... but I'm looking forward to the Slinky Dog Ride though :mrgreen:
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]

Malin

LaughingPlace.com is reporting that the attraction has now been officially confirmed by Disney.

QuoteToday Walt Disney Parks & Resorts confirmed that Hong Kong Disneyland's announced Toy Story Land will be exclusive to Asia only and therefore the land has been approved for the Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris. (Tip courtest of Tales from the Laughing Place Magazine)

littlemermaid83

Great   :-"
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!