Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Kristof"And the three attraction themes are.....

Quote from: "WDSfans.com"Disneyland Resort Paris has recently started conducting surveys for its new theme for 2010-2011. A few ideas are proposed revolving around different themes going from Pirates to Disney Classics.

Each theme however includes a description for Toy Story Playland, the big novelty for 2010.

- A spinning attraction in which Slinky chases his own tail (Music Express)
- A 25 meters high Parachute Tower themed to the Green Army Men.
- A Halfpipe attraction based on RC Racer.

Well that's interesting, I was wondering how they'd be themed. Thanks for reporting that Kristof :)

The crucial bit now then is how they'll look, how they'll be intergrated into the mini-land, and how the project will look as a whole... :wink:

davewasbaloo

Six Flags over DLP - Yuck!!!!  Please pass the bucket.
since 2001 (many before that)

-breeno-

I still believe that this project will turn out very well, and will not be a step backwards for WDS mainly because it a new area in the park with new attractions thus filling in the "gaps" in WDS which we've all wanted to happen for years now.  Now i may never even go on one of these attractions but i still think they are good, better than nothing aren't they ;)

Also i have a lot of confidence WDI will theme it brilliantly as usual, look at Crush, Cars and Indiana Jones, all "Six Flags" style attractions transformed into brilliantly themed attractions :D

The one i'm looking forward to the most is the half pipe RC one, should be interesting to see how WDI does it :)
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "-breeno-"I still believe that this project will turn out very well, and will not be a step backwards for WDS mainly because it a new area in the park with new attractions thus filling in the "gaps" in WDS which we've all wanted to happen for years now.  Now i may never even go on one of these attractions but i still think they are good, better than nothing aren't they ;)

Also i have a lot of confidence WDI will theme it brilliantly as usual, look at Crush, Cars and Indiana Jones, all "Six Flags" style attractions transformed into brilliantly themed attractions :D

The one i'm looking forward to the most is the half pipe RC one, should be interesting to see how WDI does it :)

Absolutely, that's the correct way to look at it :)  =D>

davewasbaloo

Well, I think Crush coaster and Indy were huge mistakes. And I would rather it were left blank until they build a Disney quality attraction instead. But I have grown up with Disney for over 30 years. This sort of rubbish only started about 10 years ago.

Anthony

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"This sort of rubbish only started about 10 years ago.
There's no reason the Slinky and Army Men rides are any different from the opening day Fantasyland attractions. Yes, they're not huge, lavish, hundred-million-dollar dark rides, but every Disney park needs a good mix, and at the moment WDS still doesn't have enough of these little fillers, rides that are good for kids or places to walk around and explore.

The RC halfpipe will be a tricky one, true, and I can't imagine how they'll hide the ugly WDS backstage from a 25m parachute drop... but I've got confidence in WDI.  Crush might not be exactly like the classic Disney rides you remember as a child, but it's far closer than things like Studio Tram Tour or Armageddon that the Studios opened with.

These Toy Story themes are already a million times stronger than the existing Jumpin Jellyfish and Scuttles Scooters. I was guessing Bo Peep's Sheep for the music express, but Slinky Dog is just as cool. Timing all this for 2010 with the re-releases and then Toy Story 3 is finally - FINALLY! - a bit of clever park/movies crossover planning from DLRP.

penfold12

I'm not overly excited about these attractions, I understand and agree with most peoples concerns. Biggest issue for me it why bother adding another drop ride, virtualy next to the tower of terror?!

To me that is poor to say the least

Willow

Disney has to move with the times, they can't be building the same old boring attractions from years ago they need to move with the rest of the world. The rides will be uniquely themed and there are very few Halfpipe coasters in the world.

I personally think Crush is the world's best Maurer Schone Spinning coaster (there are tons of them) and is a quality attractions, the guests love it.
Indy isn't the world's best ride but is still a ride which would look great in any theme park.

"Come to Disneyland Resort Paris in 2010 because Toy Story 3 rocked and so does our new land"

A Parachute drop is a totally different experience than the Tower of Terror.

Hopefully the musical express will have the same level of theming as Cars did, I don't know how Zamperla sell their rides with such terrible theming.

penfold12

I disagree and am confused how you can say a parachute drop attraction is totaly differnt to tower of terror??

Yes the tower of terror has fantastic and amazing theming, but in it's core it's a drop ride, as is the parachute drop!

Both located close to each other, both recent additions to a park without many attractions. Had there been as many attraction and the park as evolved as other Disney parks, it wouldn't of mattered, but as it's not, putting two drop rides so close together seems lazy to me

david

i disagree with you penfold
ToT and the parachute ride will appeal to very different age ranges- the parachutes will probably be much tamer in comparison- and is also a much more child-friendly theme- and lacking the twilight zone elements which make up a very big part of ToT.
i also think it is a good idea having them near one another as kids too small or frightened to ride ToT will have an alternative drop-ride- thus not being disappointed

penfold12

Yep, I can see the age range aspect, I suppose I just think that with so few attractions, more variety would be better. That said, with the exception of the slinky themed attraction, these don't appear overly child friendly.

phantom247

It will never be totally child friendly but saying that the park is 150% more child focused from when it first opened.  I see there to always be a slightly stronger slant towards teenagers and young adults than Disneyland Park and even though this is not exactly what I would have liked to see in WDS Park this may be a step to forcilitate future projects in the long run.

Aveen2008

I posted this under the topic of the poll about the Toy story playland and just want to give my opinion again in here for what it's worth...

I am unsure really. Don't get me wrong I like toy story, it's not one of my favourite Disney films but I do like it-however is there not enough Toy story in the parks already?

What about a different movie to base rides and attractions on?
We already have A Toystory area with Woody's roundup in Fronterland, Toy story on the Once upon a dream parade, the characters often appear on the Character express and may continue to when it is changed next year and if I am not mistaken is there not a toy story car in the stars and motor cars experience which will be happening early 2009? We also have the Toy story rstraunt and meet and greet experience in Pizza planet!

In my mere opinion, we have enough of toy story, there are many great unused disney films out there!

Also i am unsure about the halfpipe rollercoaster idea, I don't like the idea of Disneyland Paris just turning into a theme park of scarey rides, we already have Astrex and alton towers etc.

Just my opinion though.

Aveen xxx
Luv Aveen xoxo

davewasbaloo

It's not about child or teen friendly, in fact the overuse of toons makes me want to vomit too. Disney used to be about building highly themed environments that the family could all enjoy together. Other than maybe Buzz and some of the Studios opening day attractions, there hasn't been much of that ethos in Paris. It's either toons or thrills, or worse still, toons and thrills.

Why is Frontierland or Adventureland so popular? Or PotC and Phantom Manor?  Because they are highly emersive themed environments. If I wanted rubbish like Toystoryland, I could just go to Thomasland in Drayton Manor or Beanoland in Chessington World of Adventure.

Nope, I think this is a major step backwards, especially after the Studios has been doing so well lately.

Anthony

Quote from: "Aveen2008"Also i am unsure about the halfpipe rollercoaster idea, I don't like the idea of Disneyland Paris just turning into a theme park of scarey rides, we already have Astrex and alton towers etc.
I can only imagine the Halfpipe has been chosen so that adults don't instantly see this new land as a no-go area. What would the alternative be? When we were trying to guess what the rides could be a few months ago, Kristof came up with a Gadget's Go Coaster-type kids coaster themed to RC. Something more on the level of Casey Jr. Would that be better, or would it clash with Crush?

I'm still not 100% convinced myself, but for themeing at least compare the original Zamperla Destruction Derby to our Cars (one of the best fairground-style rides WDI has ever done, IMO) and the difference is incredible. If they can wrap up this bare halfpipe in themeing to that same degree, it could be brilliant.

...But yeah, not so much for the kids. Though maybe it's good to have a mixture of age groups in one area? The park does still have only RNRC, Crush and Tower for thrills. Even though we still see it as a more "adult" thrill park, there's not that much for the guests who aren't willing to sit through AODA.

Quote from: "penfold12"Yes the tower of terror has fantastic and amazing theming, but in it's core it's a drop ride, as is the parachute drop!
I'd describe the parachute drop more like a kind of "floaty/fall-y" ride rather than a sheer drop. It's very very different. You ride to the top and then bounce slowly downward in stages. Can we say they shouldn't have built Casey Jr. because they already had BTM covering the runaway train coaster?