Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

I don't think you can compare this with Beanoland in Chessington, its a dump these days and well deserves a makeover, it was pretty good when it first opened.
In regards to Thomas Land in Drayton Manor it was easily the UK's most popular theme park improvement this year, its nicely themed and has some good little attractions. I'd be happy with something on the scale of Thomas Land in WDS.

Mermaid Lagoon in Tokyo and Bugs Land in California are as much immersive environments as Adventureland or Frontierland its just a different kind of theming.
________

If you look at the YouTube video below you can see that the ride is different to TOT, your open to the air which will give you a bigger rush of the air around you. The drops aren't as severe and are more smoother and aren't from as big a height, the airtime will be much less than on TOT. Overall it will be a different experience.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yW1KOg-ELpA

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Willow"Mermaid Lagoon in Tokyo and Bugs Land in California are as much immersive environments as Adventureland or Frontierland its just a different kind of theming.

Clearly you have not been there. While cute, they are nowhere near the same. Bugsland is largely a waste of space with some cute theming - even my 3 year old was bored on tuck and roll drive um buggies.
since 2001 (many before that)

Riebi

Calm down boys and girls. We even haven´t seen any concept art to judge. I think it could be horrible but on the other hand don´t forget that most fantasyland rides are nearly the same kind of stuff.

For example Dumbo:

Wouldn´t be the same without a proper theming.

So the point is theming. If they have a great theming like they have it in Disneyland Park next door or at Cars or at ToT or or or it could be a great land. Let´s wait and see.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Anthony

Quote from: "Riebi"So the point is theming. If they have a great theming like they have it in Disneyland Park next door or at Cars or at ToT or or or it could be a great land. Let´s wait and see.
Thanks Riebi :P

I guess "fairground" attractions, nor something else based on Toy Story, nor an attraction (the RC Halfpipe) that could stretch what we see as a "Disney" attraction are exactly what a lot of fans want.

But... I just can't help but be very excited about the possibilities here. I've never cared much for fairytales, so to me a land that makes you feel like you're walking through Andy's backyard, plants completely surrounding you, toys all around, sounds brilliant and actually far more interesting than a bug's land, based on Pixar's most boring feature.

There's no way I can see that this will be such a bad thing like some people think.

Owain

All we have to do is look at TSMM, to imagine what the area's props/themes could be  :D

Your monkey idea Anthony  :)

From; //http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=115&linkid=4182

Anthony

Quote from: "Owain"All we have to do is look at TSMM, to imagine what the area's props/themes could be  :D

Your monkey idea Anthony  :)
Oh, that's where I stole it from!

Yeah, imagine those props amongst the trees and undergrowth of a bug's land, and that's (probably) our future Toy Story Playland. I guess it's a close cousin of MGM's Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure too.

The RC Halfpipe (unless plans have changed) will have a giant video game controller "plugged" into it...

RnRCj

Quote from: "Anthony"Yeah, imagine those props amongst the trees and undergrowth of a bug's land, and that's (probably) our future Toy Story Playland. I guess it's a close cousin of MGM's Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure too.

The RC Halfpipe (unless plans have changed) will have a giant video game controller "plugged" into it...

So there's no plans for amazing architecture and/or superb landscaping? Just props, trees, and the Six Flags rides (yes, I'm calling them RIDES, and not attractions like they should be at Disney).

It seems there is a big lack of ideas at Imagineering...

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "RnRCj"
Quote from: "Anthony"Yeah, imagine those props amongst the trees and undergrowth of a bug's land, and that's (probably) our future Toy Story Playland. I guess it's a close cousin of MGM's Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure too.

So there's no plans for amazing architecture and/or superb landscaping? Just props, trees, and the Six Flags rides (yes, I'm calling them RIDES, and not attractions like they should be at Disney).

We'll have to wait and see won't we :wink:

smurfy74

Quote from: "RnRCj"

thats a bit harsh, we havent even seen the concept art yet, im sure it will be great when it arrives  :D

Anthony

Quote from: "RnRCj"(yes, I'm calling them RIDES, and not attractions like they should be at Disney).
So by this judgement, we should close down half of Fantasyland? Come on, this is exactly what Walt Disney Studios needs - some good plain fun attractions and some good, colourful areas to walk around and enjoy.

Quote from: "RnRCj"It seems there is a big lack of ideas at Imagineering...
I'd say this sounds more imaginative than Rock 'n' Roller Coaster any day... (Oh no he di - n't...) :P

Kristof

QuoteSo there's no plans for amazing architecture and/or superb landscaping? Just props, trees, and the Six Flags rides (yes, I'm calling them RIDES, and not attractions like they should be at Disney).

RnRCj,  do you class the Zamperla's Destruction Derby ride as a Six Flags ride too?  

Let's wait until more news and concept art leaks out. The people I know who're involved with the project are really excited and eager to transformer the old WDS into a true Disney themepark.  :D

And I have to admit, Toy Story Playland may not be WDI's most impressive idea to roll out Burbank, for that we have to wait 4 more years for Ratatouille that'll open nearby TSPL...

pussinboots

All I can say is... I just hope they put some serious thought into the project's placement, and the way it will affect its surroundings, and not slap something random in an already random park. I can already imagine Hollywood Boulevard and Buzz Lightyear's Super Duper Halfpipe Adventure sitting back-to-back.

Disney has already built to parks that are irreversibly incoherent... (Disney's California Adventure and Disney's Hollywood Studios.) Please let them take advantage of the Walt Disney Studios' relative blank slate-ness and not screw that one up to the point of no return as well.

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Kristof"
QuoteSo there's no plans for amazing architecture and/or superb landscaping? Just props, trees, and the Six Flags rides (yes, I'm calling them RIDES, and not attractions like they should be at Disney).

RnRCj,  do you class the Zamperla's Destruction Derby ride as a Six Flags ride too?  

Let's wait until more news and concept art leaks out. The people I know who're involved with the project are really excited and eager to transformer the old WDS into a true Disney themepark.  :D

And I have to admit, Toy Story Playland may not be WDI's most impressive idea to roll out Burbank, for that we have to wait 4 more years for Ratatouille that'll open nearby TSPL...

To any doubters on the forum, look at it this way, it's got to be good if Kristof and Ant are talking positively about it, just think about how badly they've been slating Mickey's Magical Party, and compare it to how enthusiastic they are about this. Quite a contrast I think you'll agree, so it can't be that bad, surely :wink:  :P

pussinboots

Oh and the Fantasyland rides only work because of two reasons;

- The quaint/kitsch/vintage factor (Dumbo and the Teacups are iconic and have "Walt" written all over them);
- They're pleasantly, cleverly dressed up and surrounded by charming architecture and whimsical gardens.

In the same vein, the Pirouettes du Vieux Moulin (R.I.P.) and the Astro Orbiters and Orbitron only work because they're stylish and add to the kinetic skylines of their respective lands.

I think I need only point to the Magic Carpets ride in the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland to prove that carnival-style rides don't always work in that same way.

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "pussinboots"Oh and the Fantasyland rides only work because of two reasons;

- The quaint/kitsch/vintage factor (Dumbo and the Teacups are iconic and have "Walt" written all over them);
- They're pleasantly, cleverly dressed up and surrounded by charming architecture and whimsical gardens.

In the same vein, the Pirouettes du Vieux Moulin (R.I.P.) and the Astro Orbiters and Orbitron only work because they're stylish and add to the kinetic skylines of their respective lands.

I think I need only point to the Magic Carpets ride in the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland to prove that carnival-style rides don't always work in that same way.

And what's to say that TSPL (oooh, we have an abbreviation now :P ) won't be like that. All we know is what the rides are, we haven't got a clue how they will look and how the land will look.

This is getting a bit controversial now isn't it? :wink: