Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlied

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Exactly my point. This is why I get so grumpy when people say "Let's wait until it's finished before judging". After all, that is the point of concept art. Once it is built, too late.  :evil:

You should take this opportunity to say to us all, I told you so!  :P

davewasbaloo

Nope, I'd like to be proven wrong. Besides, I thought we could all wait until it is open and you can all be disappointed when you get there
since 2001 (many before that)

smurfy74

I think it looks amazing!!!!! thats over doing it a bit - im just tring to be controversial - lol, although i must say it doesnt upset me , i will reserve judgement until ive seen it myself :-)

jeakat24

I see your point Davewasbaloo. I only say that I'll reserve final judgement until I've seen it in the hope that it won't be as bad as the pictures, like the Last Chance Cafe, I still don't like it but it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. I don't think I can truely say the same for TSPL, as much as I'd like to be able to, I sincerly doubt I'm going to be pleasantly surprised.

I have to say that I was taken aback when I saw the initial photo's of the tower being built. Of course I've seen the plans that were posted here but seeing it in reality, [strike:1pykxaht]nestled[/strike:1pykxaht], sorry, plonked in amongst the Studios like that was an eye-opener!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

dagobert

I don't judge on concept arts, because in my opinion Toon Studio turned out better as it was shown in the concept arts. So I had the hope, that TSPL would also look better, but in fact it looks worse. At least in the pictures.

Willow

WDSFans/Kristof has posted some updates from TSPL, including a photo of the parachute drop's intrusion into certain areas of the park.

And some other photos here: Link.

dagobert

At least it is not really visible from the ground in Frontierland.

RnRCj

Eyesore!

This is like building Tower Of Terror with the bare lift shafts and nothing else. They could've at least made sure it was lower than the rooftops of Hollywood Boulevard.

Martyn

At least its not spoiling the view of the Hollywood boulevard.

Quick question, how do we know the Disney Imagineering team work on this?

RiverRogue

Quote from: "Martyn"Quick question, how do we know the Disney Imagineering team work on this?

As a rough guideline: Any permanent, major additions such as new attractions or even a new land are necessarily created by WDI, Glendale. This includes complete attraction overhauls such as SM:M2.

Smaller, less important or temporary additions  are created either by Disneyland Paris Imagineering (such as the recent Coca-Cola salespoints or Belle's Christmas Village) or by a specialized creative service within DLP (Entertainment, Special Event Decorations, Graphics Shop, Visual Merchandise, ...).

-breeno-

Quote from: "RnRCj"Eyesore!

This is like building Tower Of Terror with the bare lift shafts and nothing else. They could've at least made sure it was lower than the rooftops of Hollywood Boulevard.
I'm afraid i have to disagree, the thing is hardly visible.  Look at the top right photo, to me it looks like it's the one where the parachaute drop it the most visible.  But remember that is from a slight distance from the Boulevard, so when you are in the boulevard, the surrounding buildings will cover this structure.  Well, at least that's what i think it'll look like.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

jeakat24

Wow I can't wait to go on BTM with a view like that  :wink:

Quote from: "-breeno-"I'm afraid i have to disagree, the thing is hardly visible.  Look at the top right photo, to me it looks like it's the one where the parachaute drop it the most visible.  But remember that is from a slight distance from the Boulevard, so when you are in the boulevard, the surrounding buildings will cover this structure.  Well, at least that's what i think it'll look like.

I really hope you're right Breeno.

I think that only seeing in TSPL is bad enough, it really is hideous looking, but seeing it from a distance only makes matters worse. I suppose at least it isn't in the beautiful view you get from ToT.

This is like building Tower Of Terror with the bare lift shafts and nothing else.

Good comparison, I totally agree
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Kristof

They could've at least made sure it was lower than the rooftops of Hollywood Boulevard.

The second photo was taken from Place des Stars using my zoomlens to create this effect.  The drop tower is barely noticeable, I had to try hard to get it on these photos.  If you want, I can show a photo taken in front of the Partners statue without seeing it at all.

Willow

Its barely visible from the majority of the Resort, I don't see the problem.

The only place where it is visible is from TOT (Middle-Left photo), but the flat billboard buildings are just as bad from that angle.

Anthony

The figure we've been waiting for.

QuoteAnd the price tag on Toy Story Playland is... €70 million! Revealed in Times article: http://bit.ly/avlKrh
Via @DLRPToday.

The article says:

QuoteFor Simon Opie, however, this is a serious business. As product integration vice-president at the resort, "I have responsibility for developing the entertainment programme — and that extends to the accompanying food offers and character dining experiences we'll be putting together, as well as the relevant merchandise". An enormous brief, in fact, that includes managing 450 product development staff.

A far cry, too, from his humble beginnings in an entertainment career as the production manager of the Oxford Playhouse, a job opportunity so attractive that he left Oxford University, where he had been reading English, before graduating to take it up. "The theatre was always my passion and it was a great opportunity which I knew I had to grab.

"Back then I had a budget of a few thousand pounds to juggle, whereas now I'm responsible for the opening of a €70 million [£60 million] attraction — Toy Story Playland."

Now, are they rounding up or does that seem a lot? Even with all the tree removal, tram tour re-routing, earth works, foundations and fully-customised rides, that's a lot.