Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

Its costing double what I expected it to, I don't understand how they have spent that kind of money.
I've been saying this for months, Disney need to realise that they need to work out how to spend money better. This is the reason why people are saying Disney attractions are losing their quality, WDI are not spending their money in the right areas and most of its being wasted when it could be put to better use elsewhere.

This should have been a max 30 million investment, and it could have been done to a pretty high standard for that cost.

I'd love to see what Merlin Entertainments could do with that kind of money, they would create something fantastic.

dlrpkris

I'm stunned by this figure. Value for money... not! Considering the capacity, the investment will benefit very few and do little to help the overall image of the resort.

n my view the money would've been better spent on updating and retouching the existing facilities... or running Fantillusion full-size etc. The report mentions 150 performers for parades. That figure is really pushing it too when everyone assumes performers to be characters/dancers etc... not drivers bla bla.

I'm so shocked to the point of being appalled. Grr
"Life\'s a happy game, you could clown around forever - \'cos we\'re the best of friends"
It\'s time to bring down the house - welcome Mickey Mouse!

penfold12

Sixty million sterling???! Surely that can't be right? Alton Towers new attraction, their most expensive to date, is 15 million. Whilst that doesn't live up to a Disney style attraction, the ride and theming seems at least on par with TSPL.

If they have spent £60 million, wow that's a mistake!

Willow

And 15 million is on-par with the most expensive attractions ever built here in the UK, can't think of a attraction which has broken the 15 million barrier. (Ignoring Inflation)

Thats why I'd love to see what the top UK theme park designers could come up with for £60 million, especially when they can come up with world class attractions for a quarter of the cost of TSPL.

So for 4 times the cost of the best UK attractions ever built we have TSPL... Is TSPL worth that level of investment? Methinks not.

JelleP

€70 Million is really a lot!
The most expensive attraction build in the Netherlands was a €20 million investment (link)
But can anyone tell me what the costs for the ToT were?
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

smurfy74

That price surely has to be wrong - toy story mania has a price of $80 million thats about £52 million, the TOT is estimated to have cost about £100 million , toy story mania would have been a better bet as its inside and would have worked better with the Parisian climate surely??

luke85

That is an insane amount for those attractions. This money could have been used for something far more exciting, or for a tonne of much-needed maintenance work around the resort.

I think DLP needs to release their WDS master plan now, or simply admit that they're adding attractions and lands as-and-when they feel like it. It's not fair to shareholders, investors and fans.

I feel like that park is never going to be sorted out, it's forever going to be the "black sheep" of the Disneyland Paris family.

lil-shawn

Ladys and Gemntleman, Boys and Girls,
welcome to Walt Disney´s Trashcan Park, where cheap looking attractions with
low capacity are getting build and for this we throw out all our money, that we can
take more money from our visitors, investors and shareholders....

Let´s face it, WDS will never be a real Disney park and it is not worth putting Walts name in it. it is,
an ever will be a mess of a park. Even Soarin, Ratatouille or World of Color won´t make this park better,
all it need´s is a complete rework.
It´s a shame that Disney Management think all they have to build is something like TSPL to get more visitors,
but thats wrong. Disney have over 15million visitors not just because of the Charakters or rides themed to they´re movies. It seems like they don´t believe in they´re own work anymore.

What i don´t understand is, how a imagineer have so much problems of rewrite the story of the park and
create something that would let this park look good and make it a disney worth park! Imagineers create something like Grizzly gulch, mystic manor, big thinder mountain, space mountain ect. and now all they can come up with ist TSPL! Those 70million could have been spend in something better than this.

Maarten

Quote from: "lil-shawn"What i don´t understand is, how a imagineer have so much problems of rewrite the story of the park and create something that would let this park look good and make it a disney worth park! Imagineers create something like Grizzly gulch, mystic manor, big thinder mountain, space mountain ect. and now all they can come up with ist TSPL! Those 70million could have been spend in something better than this.

I think we can't blame the Imagineers really, because if they get the chance they still can create wonderful attractions like Expedition Everest, Soarin', and probably Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch. However, the management of (in this particular case) EuroDisney SCA pulls the strings and forces Imagineering what to do. They don't get carte blanche... Walt Disney Studios truly needs a masterplan (although I assume they have one, right?) and act accordingly. A few placemakings wouldn't hurt either. They can add amazing attractions all they want, but the park itself (its lay-out and theming) is screwed up. Some major re-work has to be done.

What I am stunned about, is the fact that Walt Disney Imagineering seems to need so much money for so little. Construction costs for the initial Studios park back in 2002 were about 600 million euro's if I remember correctly, and see what we have got. Maybe they should sort things out at WDI aswell?!

CafeFantasia

What I find really frustrating is Disneyland Paris' lack of transparency. I think that's the right word. There doesn't seem to be any people, a recognisable face, a human element, representing the company. You know what I mean? There's no visible person at the top, who cares about the 2 parks, and has a vision. There's no John Lasseter figure.

The resort is like a very rare, very precious animal in the hands of inexperienced faceless business men, that don't know how to look after it.

I wish there was someone we could actually communicate with and write to, and get honest custom-written answers from. Someone willing to discuss the parks and give thoughtful answers. Someone who cares about the parks; appreciates what's right about them, and understands what's wrong about them. But there isn't, is there?

Who's in charge of Disneyland Park? Who's in charge of the Walt Disney Studios Park? Who has the vision?

luke85

Quote from: "Alan"What I find really frustrating is Disneyland Paris' lack of transparency. I think that's the right word. There doesn't seem to be any people, a recognisable face, a human element, representing the company. You know what I mean? There's no visible person at the top, who cares about the 2 parks, and has a vision. There's no John Lasseter figure.

I wish there was someone we could actually communicate with and write to, and get honest custom-written answers to. Someone willing to discuss the parks and give honest answers. Someone who cares about the parks; appreciates what's right about them, and understands what's wrong about them.

Who's in charge of Disneyland Park? Who's in charge of the Walt Disney Studios Park?

You make such a good point. DLP often feels like a face-less organisation, and as visitors of the park, I think that we would feel more confident about the future of the resort if there was a recognisable figure, someone with charisma and charm, who felt the same passion for DLP that we all do as fans.

There seems to be no-one (that we know of) guiding the resort, and ensuring that it gets better and better.

Disneydavid

Some guy on the internet 'stole' my idea  :roll:
[youtube:v7ot30cw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E162QOmOxfs&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:v7ot30cw]
too shaky isn't it :P

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

Newest episode.... Toy Story Playland The Tour and Rc RACER!

JelleP

^It's very shaky :wink:

I really think DLP needs to communicate with their fans, like Disneyland and Disney World do (with podcasts, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, anything!) The only behind the scenes we get to see from DLP come from DLRP Magic!, DLRP Today, etc... The Disneyland Podcast is really awesome and it's free advertisement too!

So please DLP: communicate!
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

CentralPlazaPerson

Quote from: "JelleP"^It's very shaky :wink:

I really think DLP needs to communicate with their fans, like Disneyland and Disney World do (with podcasts, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, anything!) The only behind the scenes we get to see from DLP come from DLRP Magic!, DLRP Today, etc... The Disneyland Podcast is really awesome and it's free advertisement too!

So please DLP: communicate!
Totally agree! Disneyland Paris do email newsletters to people who subscribe to it. I haven't subscribed to it yet so I don't know if they send you news about the parks.

JelleP

Quote from: "CentralPlazaPerson"Totally agree! Disneyland Paris do email newsletters to people who subscribe to it. I haven't subscribed to it yet so I don't know if they send you news about the parks.
I was subscribed to that newsletter once, but they only send you advertisements and special offers. No news about whats going on benind the scenes or something... :roll: