Jack Sparrow to join Pirates of the Caribbean? (Rumour)

Started by dagobert, May 07, 2011, 10:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Plus the fact Disney has not been producing very good films on their own. Tangled and Princess and the Frog are ok, but they will not be held in the regards of a classic in 10 years time like other older Disney's are.

Imagine what would have happened, if Michael Eisner wouldn't have gone crazy after Frank Wells' death. Maybe Jeffrey Katzenberg would have stayed longer at TWDC, perhaps he would even run it today. Most animators and Imagineers would also still be there. Disney would have continued to produce great movies instead of cheap ones and from a themeparks point of view, maybe the new parks and attractions wouldn't have been so cheap.

In my opinion Katzenberg would have been perfect as CEO of TWDC, because he is a creative guy and he also cared a lot about quality in both movies and parks.

davewasbaloo

Agreedm although he was no angel either. After all, they based Hades in Herculese on him for a reason.
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

I'm pretty sure he wasn't an angel. At least he did a great job at WDFA and now is running Disney's strongest competitor when it comes to animated movies. Although I've only liked the first two Shrek movies. In my opinion the Dreamworks movies are too funny.

davewasbaloo

Agreed, I prefer the stuff Dreamworks makes compared to Disney. The last Disney animated feature I went made over was Brother Bear. That was nearly 10 years ago. But I love virtually every Dreamworks I have seen. I know my kids prefer Dreamworks.
since 2001 (many before that)

Patrick89

QuoteI have been saying this for years, but what I sadly came to realise is they do not want fans like us anymore, they want the ones where they can put a college student in a furry outfit and the sheeple will be happy.

As I have already said, just look at the souvenirs. There is hardly anything that attracts me anymore. I remember former stays when I couldn't decide on what to buy...Today we only have cheap mainstream stuff, merchandise based on movies.
And of course it is cheaper for them to just let some characters run around than to create new, detailed attractions.

Concerning the money: I think at the moment they could spend millions of Euros and still would not be able to build attractions like the ones designed by the old Imagineers. Money cannot compensate a lack of creativity...
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

dagobert

Quote from: "Patrick89"As I have already said, just look at the souvenirs. There is hardly anything that attracts me anymore. I remember former stays when I couldn't decide on what to buy...Today we only have cheap mainstream stuff, merchandise based on movies.
And of course it is cheaper for them to just let some characters run around than to create new, detailed attractions.

Concerning the money: I think at the moment they could spend millions of Euros and still would not be able to build attractions like the ones designed by the old Imagineers. Money cannot compensate a lack of creativity...

The merchandise is mainly crap and I'm always astonished by how much people buy of that stuff. But that's not a DLRP problem. It's the same at WDW and you just have to look at other fan sites and there people also complain about the WDW merchandise, especially since Universal offers some great Harry Potter merchandise.

At least we still have the Disneyland Paris branding. In the Us people are complaining that it just says Disney Parks and that's it.

Thats true, money cannot compensate a lack of creativity. It is said TSPL costs €70 mio and look at the final product.

Patrick89

QuoteThats true, money cannot compensate a lack of creativity. It is said TSPL costs €70 mio and look at the final product.

70 million €...Just image what could have been done with this money in the Disneyland Park (refurbs etc.). But no,it has to be wasted...

Bring back the moon!

gingajen

Quote from: "pussinboots"Perhaps? Although come to think of it, there's also very little of the supernatural or fantastical on the original ride. Jerry Bruckheimer may have brought Octopus-headed baddies, dermatological barnacles, giant murderous squids, the undead, mermaids, the afterlife and goodness what else to the party, the original ride features little more unthinkable than a skeleton drinking rum from an endless bottle. It's just... Too much for that quaint little ride.

So it's simultaneously too realistic and too unthinkable. I don't know. But it does feel off, haha. You don't think?

I totally agree with everything you had said here. I love Jack Sparrow and the film franchise, but I don't think they have a place on the ride. Maybe I could understand Jack, as it could fit in with the animatronics of the rest of the ride and would hopefully not stand out too much. However, I am really against having Barbosa there. It would stand out like a sore thumb. I love the original ride because it looks a little old fashioned and 'traditional' for want of a better word.The Barbosa is way too advanced and modern looking and in my opinion if they are going to add that, they need to re do the whole ride to match the technology of Barbosa. Otherwise it looks mis matched.
 It is a ride the whole family can enjoy together regardless of age and I think Barbosa would be quite frightening for small children whereas the other, original bits are fairly tame and have never bothered my two children.

HildeKitten

I love the films, and I love the Jack Sparrow meet and greets, but personally I don't want them in the ride either.  I would like to keep it like it is really.

Patrick89

Wow, I did not expect that even fans of the movies do not like Jack Sparrow being integrated in the ride...But well, now we do not only have a toon-problem, but a "too many Disney films enter DLP-problem" ;)
What was the last ride (besides ToT) that was not related to a Disney film? I have no idea...

Bring back the moon!

CafeFantasia

Quote from: "Patrick89"What was the last ride (besides ToT) that was not related to a Disney film?

Probably the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

claire2281

Having just watched the documentary on the Dead Man's Chest DVD about adding the film characters to the US rides, I have to say the animatronics of those figures are brilliant!

I'd love to see them added to the ride to freshen it up a little. I'd see them as a fun addition - an easter egg almost - rather than fundamentally changing the ride.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Patrick89

Quote from: "claire2281"Having just watched the documentary on the Dead Man's Chest DVD about adding the film characters to the US rides, I have to say the animatronics of those figures are brilliant!

I'd love to see them added to the ride to freshen it up a little. I'd see them as a fun addition - an easter egg almost - rather than fundamentally changing the ride.

But why does a attraction like PoTC necessarily need to be freshened up? I mean, it is no coincidence that PoTC has become one of the most popular rides in DLP even if it is mostly the same since 1992. So why do you have to change it in a way that will change the whole attraction? In PoTC- rides where Sparrow etc. have already been added, the former story seems to have been replaced by a search for Jack Sparrow. I cannot really see it as a "fun addition" if the only sense of the ride becomes promoting the movies...

Bring back the moon!

Josh

I think they're really just looking for more consistency with the films and the rides. Otherwise, it's a franchise with two different plot universes.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

claire2281

Quote from: "Patrick89"But why does a attraction like PoTC necessarily need to be freshened up? I mean, it is no coincidence that PoTC has become one of the most popular rides in DLP even if it is mostly the same since 1992. So why do you have to change it in a way that will change the whole attraction? In PoTC- rides where Sparrow etc. have already been added, the former story seems to have been replaced by a search for Jack Sparrow. I cannot really see it as a "fun addition" if the only sense of the ride becomes promoting the movies...

I think it adds re-ride value to change things up every now and again and, for myself, I like seeing new things and being surprised. And, as I said, those anamatronics are brilliant. I'd very much like to see them over here.

The movies don't need any promoting - they're a billion dollar franchise in their own right. Frankly, I think people would be more likely to wonder why these popular characters don't feature in the ride. Many visitors don't seem to be overly aware of the 'story' of the ride beyond the very basics anyway so I don't think it makes a massive difference.

If they were going to rip out the whole thing and replace it with a ride-through of the film, I'd find that a massive pity. As it is, adding a touch of the franchise into the ride seems like a best of both worlds to me.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne