Jack Sparrow to join Pirates of the Caribbean? (Rumour)

Started by dagobert, May 07, 2011, 10:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

According to Alain Littaye and his Disney & More Blog, Jack Sparrow will be added to Pirates of the Caribbean for the 20th birthday!!

Let's come now to the other big news of this POTC update: Jack Sparrow audio-Animatronics will be installed next year at DLP Pirates of Caribbean, and this will include the Barbossa AA in the Pirate ship AND the "ghostly waterfall" projection effect, just like at DL and WDW.

I told you before that new effects were envisioned inside Phantom Manor and Big Thunder Mountain but for now - and unfortunately - these are on hold. In terms of enhancements on classic attractions, only POTC is sure for the 20th. No decision has been taken yet on Star Tours 2 for DLP - which doesn't mean that it won't happen as they still have time to change their mind.

So, where will they put the Jack Sparrow AA inside DLP POTC? According to my good sources Tom Fitzgerald apparently decided that the AAs will be placed at the same scenes that you can see them at DL or WDW. Which means that in 12 months from now Disneyland Paris fans will be able to salute Captain Jack Sparrow near the "mayor in the well" scene, hiding behind the clothes...

More on his blog:
http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ng-at.html

As a side note, Captain Blackbeard will replace Davy Jones in the US parks.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... -may-20-2/

15MagicalYears

I'm not sure what I think about Jack Sparrow popping up but I loved the "ghostly waterfall" in WDW and can't wait to see it in dlp.

Pete's Dragon

Hmmmmmm, I'll have to get back to you with my opinion on this one. Off to straddle a fench for a while......

DopeyDad

That sounds painful Pete's Dragon  :-"

DLP-Photos.com

Hmm, I know that these are subtle additions, but to me they still has nothing to do in there and to this day I have been happy that we still had an original POC attraction as Walt imagined it.... It was question of time and now the 20th gives them a chance to blow this little addition out of proportion to be a huge part of the biggest celebration in the park yet.. That being said, the AA's and the waterfall seem to be top quality stuff and that is a plus...

I would though still have preferred some new and original additions to BTM or PM that would enhance the original ideas without selling it to people with Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush and Bill Nighy/Ian McShane... I doubt that any PM additions would have added Eddie Murphy  :lol:

Let's wait and see, perhaps they do not take the opportunity to brand this as a "new attraction" like SM:M2 and if that is the case, I can accept it easilier :)
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

CafeFantasia

I think this is great news, very positive. Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland Paris has been exactly the same for 19 years now. It's time to freshen it up.

I just hope they market it properly, so that the message gets out there to regular people that they've made some permanent, expensive changes to the ride.

This is where Disneyland Paris could really make good use of social media, using YouTube, Facebook and Twitter to document the installation of the new effects. Perhaps they could even convince Johnny Depp to come along and ride it himself, considering he has a house in Paris.

[youtube:21ax66ej]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQ5eWBlApY[/youtube:21ax66ej]

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "DopeyDad"That sounds painful Pete's Dragon  :-"

It's a very small fence, and my legs are quite long. But it's started to rain   :(

;)

If they intend to update POTC to include the free-flowing animated Jack, then they should update the othe animatronics too. Otherwise leave it alone.

Another point -  they cant keep the swinging on a rope pirate workig 365 days of the year - without adding other, more complex stuff.

Refurb - Not Reinvent !!!

CafeFantasia

Come on guys. If us park fans aren't enthusiastic about new permanent things being added to Disneyland Park, we can't expect the general public to be.

The animatronics in Pirates of the Caribbean have always been of varying complexity. The key figures, the stars of the show, are the most advanced, because they're the ones you're supposed to look at. But the background figures, the ones that simply make up a crowd, are relatively simple.

ed-uk

Anyway I think it's a good idea, the films have been very successful for Disney nobody can deny the that. And since the idea for the films came from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in the first place, and there are references to the theme park ride in the films, so why not have Jack Sparrow in the attraction?
Ed & David

Scissorsboi

I'm not too fussed, I mean it's sad to see the only 'original' Pirates go, but then you have to remember our Pirates is the total opposite of the original, so it's not like it's Walt's vision in the first place, the Imagineers created something much more different for Paris. This isn't so much changing what Walt wanted (www..), but it is changing the original 'different' vision for the ride.

Saying that, the AA's in the others are very good indeed, and will add a whole new, fresh level of show to the ride, they're not too intrusive in the grand scheme of things, yes there are a few lines in the treasure room which means we'll probably lose the 'dead men tell no tales' whisperings in the background, but I can live with that if it brings a ride back to it's former glory and popularity!

Long and short of it, it's nice to see some investment back into an original star attraction, but at the same time I don't see it taking too much of the original ride atmosphere away. If anything I'm interested to see how they'll fit him into the ride as the scenes are in a totally different order - Davy Jones appears in the caverns at the start of the WDW version, we have a Bayou, so maybe on that first journey up the waterfall, that certainly is one of the more 'simple' areas currently?

Now if only they surprise us with that new mirror effect from HM for the end of PM!
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

ed-uk

I'm sure many things are different in Disneyland from the way Walt Disney had them in the 1950s and 60s, Pirates of the Caribbean included. It would look quite old fashioned if nothing could be touched or updated. Even HM came after him.
Ed & David

Donald-Duck-Malta

:D Anyone have a sort of idea when the refubishment for this will be?And when will it re open with the new animatronic? :thumbs:

littlemermaid83

As much as I love Jack Sparrow I don't like the idea.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

dagobert

I'm happy that Jack will be added to POTC. We really enjoyed seeing him in the new version at WDW, although the ride itself is really bad and can't be compared with the wonderful attraction in Paris. MAybe I'm wrong on that, but POTC in Florida seemed to be very short.

As long as it's a small world will not be "upgraded" with Disney characters, I'm fine.

Columbiad

This is great news. Hopefully they'll announce some more surprises for the 20th.