Jack Sparrow to join Pirates of the Caribbean? (Rumour)

Started by dagobert, May 07, 2011, 10:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spicy

QuoteDoes anybody know if the soundtrack will be changed like in the other parks? There, nearly the whole ride seems to be accompanied by the soundtrack of the POTC-movies instead of the good old "Yo ho, a pirates life for me". This would be a catastrophe

I thought the PoTC versions with Jack & co had all the usual PoTC music and sounds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Gij_V64ek

What sounds on that video are lost with the transformation?

davewasbaloo

In the US version, it is the film music now in the caves and down the waterfall into the battle scene. Only the main village is the yo ho music. The dialogue is all about finding Jack Sparrow too.

althought the AA's and the projector effects are cool, I do think it has ruined the American rides.
since 2001 (many before that)

Patrick89

QuoteIn the US version, it is the film music now in the caves and down the waterfall into the battle scene. Only the main village is the yo ho music. The dialogue is all about finding Jack Sparrow too.

althought the AA's and the projector effects are cool, I do think it has ruined the American rides.

...as you can see in this video: //http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzPus1Iuga0

That would be the worst-case scenario...New music, new characters (unfortunately characters I hate  :shock: ), new story.And as davewasbaloo already mentioned: All of the dialogues in the ride seem to have the same topic: Jack Sparrow. So this is not just a small update, it will become a new ride. I'm really stunned when I think of all these changes taking place in the Disneyland Park. I always thought it cannot come worse when "De la terre à la lune" was replaced by the ridiculous "Mission 2", but i have to admit: Yes, it can.

What about the signs "Here you leave reality and enter worlds of history, discovery and ageless fantasy" beneath Main Street station? Where do you leave reality, when Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush appear in the park?

I was preparing for the worst after the recent developments in the park, but POTC? I could never imagine they would really "destroy" this ride...

QuoteWelcome aboard Patrick, I sense the beginning of a beautiful friendship. And despite liking the films, I totally agree with you.

Thanks  ;)  Always nice to meet people preferring the "old" Disneyland...And that was actually what i was looking for in this forum  :D
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

dagobert

Quote from: "Patrick89"That would be the worst-case scenario...New music, new characters (unfortunately characters I hate  :shock: ), new story.And as davewasbaloo already mentioned: All of the dialogues in the ride seem to have the same topic: Jack Sparrow. So this is not just a small update, it will become a new ride. I'm really stunned when I think of all these changes taking place in the Disneyland Park. I always thought it cannot come worse when "De la terre à la lune" was replaced by the ridiculous "Mission 2", but i have to admit: Yes, it can.

I will never forgive Disney to change SM. Although I can hardly remember the effects, but the soundtrack was amazing. I like the POTC movies a lot and I have to admit that I enjoyed seeing Jack and BArbossa at WDW, but I totally agree that the story of the ride has completely changed and that's indeed sad.

QuoteWhat about the signs "Here you leave reality and enter worlds of history, discovery and ageless fantasy" beneath Main Street station? Where do you leave reality, when Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush appear in the park?

The sign needs to be changed to "Here you leave reality and enter worlds of characters and even more characters". That sign doesn't fit for the Disney parks of today, because it is only about franchises and adding toons to every part of the park.

davewasbaloo

Amen, one of the many reasons why I hate Iger, Staggs and Rasulo. No vision. Even though I was excited by Star Tours 2, that is full of characters too (and I love Star Wars).

Patrick89

QuoteI will never forgive Disney to change SM. Although I can hardly remember the effects, but the soundtrack was amazing. I like the POTC movies a lot and I have to admit that I enjoyed seeing Jack and BArbossa at WDW, but I totally agree that the story of the ride has completely changed and that's indeed sad.

I still remember the great music, the detailed poster, the fantastic moon looking down on you...And the perfect integration in Discoveryland with its Jules Verne theme...And they sacrificed this great theme for a ridiculous and very bad update ( I feel like laughing every time when I see this awkward Supernova...). But Mission 2 was also a key moment, because since "De la terre à la lune" is gone, I'm a strong opponent of all changes in the Disneyland Park. Because up to know, every change made the park a little bit worse. Discoveryland has lost its original air long ago, I guess soon we'll have Buzz Lightyears Submarine and Buzz Lightyear's Future Cars, too  :|
But I will never forget how awesome Discoveryland has been once and I guess I can never forgive Disney for the changes, too.

QuoteThe sign needs to be changed to "Here you leave reality and enter worlds of characters and even more characters". That sign doesn't fit for the Disney parks of today, because it is only about franchises and adding toons to every part of the park.

I totally agree with you, it's a sad development the park has undergone. You can also see this in all the shops. When every shop had at least some articles you could not get elsewhere (i.e. Le Coffre du Capitaine with pirate figures, treasure chests or skull rock money boxes), now every shop offers the same...I still have a great wooden Davy Crocket gun from the Thunder Mesa Mercantile Building at home. Today you get cheap plastic guns coloured red and blue.

So more and more of the former magic disappears in the once called "Magic Kingdom"...Today it is more like a "Merchandise Kingdom"...

Have you watched the youtube-clip I posted? Did you hear the child screaming "Jack Sparrow" when they entered the village? That is exactly what POTC will become: A stage for Jack Sparrow, while all the other AA, well, all other elements will become negligibilities. As i have said, the ride will be reduced to Jack Sparrow and another, if not one of the main parts of the "old" Disneyland, is dead.

Bring back the moon!

dagobert

In my opinion the downturn of the park began with the replacing of Le Visionarium with BLLB. Firstly the wonderful Discovery theme with Jules Verne and H.G. Wells was destroyed and secondly the toons began to invade the parks.

I think during that time was a major shift at WDI. Michael Eisner tried to keep everything as cheap as possible since he was responsible for the Disneyland Paris fiasco. So many long time Imagineers left and now these people create these amazing rides for Universal or other parks. The result is that Disney relies too much on toons and proven technologies. There are no original attractions anymore. Everything is based on toons.

One day Captain EO needs to be replaced and I really hope that it will not be another stupid Pixar attraction, like Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. That's such a bad attraction and I really don't get it why it was so popular at WDW.

Don't get me started on the merchandise. In every shop throughout the whole resort you get the same cheap stuff.

At least Disney is trying to improve the quality of the park with all the refurbs. But that should nothing to be happy about. Come on, that should be a normal thing at Disney, since they claim to have the best themeparks.

SM:M3

The fact is the modern executives at both the WDC and at EDSCA are businessmen through and through, and seemingly don't care for design or innovation much. I personally don't think much of P Gas.

Patrick89

QuoteIn my opinion the downturn of the park began with the replacing of Le Visionarium with BLLB. Firstly the wonderful Discovery theme with Jules Verne and H.G. Wells was destroyed and secondly the toons began to invade the parks.

I think during that time was a major shift at WDI. Michael Eisner tried to keep everything as cheap as possible since he was responsible for the Disneyland Paris fiasco. So many long time Imagineers left and now these people create these amazing rides for Universal or other parks. The result is that Disney relies too much on toons and proven technologies. There are no original attractions anymore. Everything is based on toons.

The problem is: Does the majority care if there is a wonderful theme surrounding and connecting all the attractions in Discoveryland? I don't think so. And while all the background stories are fading away during the "toon invation", Disneyland more and more supports the cliché that it is only for children. How many visitors of Disneyland will go there as often as many in this forum did, so they will understand all the stories behind the attractions? Maybe five percent. So the management does not care about such trifles and creates new, loveless rides including toons. That must do it. The whole Studios are of that kind. There are different rides, seperated from each other, no mysteries surrounding them, no story to think about - just characters from Disney movies. And what about the waiting areas? Except in the ToT they are so bad and boring, you just feel the deficient creativity.

I just thought about all the parts of the Disneyland Park already "polluted" with toons and Critter Corral came to my mind. What a shame to replace the Cottonwood Creek Ranch - theme with Toy Story.

I think we must have a serious word with our DLRP management  ;)

QuoteOne day Captain EO needs to be replaced and I really hope that it will not be another stupid Pixar attraction, like Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. That's such a bad attraction and I really don't get it why it was so popular at WDW.

Well, maybe something with Buzz Lightyear? That would be really innovative!!

Bring back the moon!

dagobert

Quote from: "Patrick89"The problem is: Does the majority care if there is a wonderful theme surrounding and connecting all the attractions in Discoveryland? I don't think so. And while all the background stories are fading away during the "toon invation", Disneyland more and more supports the cliché that it is only for children. How many visitors of Disneyland will go there as often as many in this forum did, so they will understand all the stories behind the attractions? Maybe five percent. So the management does not care about such trifles and creates new, loveless rides including toons. That must do it. The whole Studios are of that kind. There are different rides, seperated from each other, no mysteries surrounding them, no story to think about - just characters from Disney movies. And what about the waiting areas? Except in the ToT they are so bad and boring, you just feel the deficient creativity.

Unfortunately that's so true. Most people over here don't really know what Disneyland is about. They think that it is just for kids and it is so sad that Disney is really going that way.

There is really no story behind the recent attractions, with the exception of TOT, but that ride was created over 15 years ago. TSPL doesn't have a story, it's just a bunch of cheap carnival rides and Disney added toons to get the "Disney Connection". That's it. What an achievement. Unfortunately there are so many people who only care about characters and Disney caters to them.

QuoteI just thought about all the parts of the Disneyland Park already "polluted" with toons and Critter Corral came to my mind. What a shame to replace the Cottonwood Creek Ranch - theme with Toy Story.

What's the connection between the Wild West and Toy Story. Okay Woody and Jessie are Cowboys, but that's it. They should get rid of them in Frontierland. You are so right, that it was such a fantastic area, but now I don't care to visit that place.

QuoteOne day Captain EO needs to be replaced and I really hope that it will not be another stupid Pixar attraction, like Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. That's such a bad attraction and I really don't get it why it was so popular at WDW.

QuoteWell, maybe something with Buzz Lightyear? That would be really innovative!

I'm sure that it will be related to toons and the whole Discoveryland will loose its soul. It partly did already.

davewasbaloo

There is nothing to visit at Critter Corral anymore, it is closed up and starting to already look a little delapitated.

Patrick89

QuoteThere is nothing to visit at Critter Corral anymore, it is closed up and starting to already look a little delapitated.

Well, there wasn't too much to visit before Toy Story was included, too. But it was the great atmosphere coming frome the setting which made that place so special for me. While sitting on a bench and watching the farm animals, hearing the train arriving and refilling his water...That was the American West feeling for me - not Toy Story figures giving autographs...

QuoteThere is really no story behind the recent attractions, with the exception of TOT, but that ride was created over 15 years ago. TSPL doesn't have a story, it's just a bunch of cheap carnival rides and Disney added toons to get the "Disney Connection". That's it. What an achievement. Unfortunately there are so many people who only care about characters and Disney caters to them.

That is exactly the problem. As long as people do not care about an attraction's story (and its realization, atmosphere, appearance) because there are Disney characters in it (and buy stuff related to them) the situation won't improve...

Bring back the moon!

davewasbaloo

Patrick, you are preaching to the choir, believe me. I have been saying this for years, but what I sadly came to realise is they do not want fans like us anymore, they want the ones where they can put a college student in a furry outfit and the sheeple will be happy. Many say they love the "magic" of Disney, but they admit not fully knowing what makes it more special (the attention to detail and theme, cleanliness, manufactured perfection). sadly Disney do the bare minimum anymore. And it is not just money. Let's face it, they are spending a bundle on HKDL and DCA, but it is still dull toons. There are already people claiming they are bored with World of Color and it is only a year old! I think there is a reason, commercial clips with high tech does not = sustainable entertainment.

dagobert

At least in Hong Kong there are two new lands which are not based on any characters. Even TDR is adding characters to the most beautiful Disney park.

Disney really missed an opportunity with DCA. That park is perfect for adding non-character based attractions, but they opted for Carsland. I'm not saying that I don't like that, because the main ride will be great, I think, but I would have preferred a non-toon ride. I thik the acquisition of Pixar has a lot to do that so many Pixar rides are being built.

davewasbaloo

Plus the fact Disney has not been producing very good films on their own. Tangled and Princess and the Frog are ok, but they will not be held in the regards of a classic in 10 years time like other older Disney's are.