Jack Sparrow to join Pirates of the Caribbean? (Rumour)

Started by dagobert, May 07, 2011, 10:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

Perhaps? Although come to think of it, there's also very little of the supernatural or fantastical on the original ride. Jerry Bruckheimer may have brought Octopus-headed baddies, dermatological barnacles, giant murderous squids, the undead, mermaids, the afterlife and goodness what else to the party, the original ride features little more unthinkable than a skeleton drinking rum from an endless bottle. It's just... Too much for that quaint little ride.

So it's simultaneously too realistic and too unthinkable. I don't know. But it does feel off, haha. You don't think?

Josh

What if it was Blackbeard instead?
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

ed-uk

Or what about Long John Silver? Sorry, wrong film.
Ed & David

DGRavenswood

To be fair, there's also the talking skull, but yeah, it's not quite on the same scale of fantasy... I agree that that is probably a big part of what makes it so jarring.

I'd prefer if they simply added a "wall of water" effect without any synergy character force-fed onto it. It would be enough of an effect to surprise people as they're traveling through a waterfall, but not too much to distract from the overall experience.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

CafeFantasia

With or without the projection, if they place this mist screen on the lift hill at Disneyland Paris, it will give a much better illusion of "you're going to get wet" than at the other parks, due to these sensory elements:

• The visuals of you travelling up an actual waterfall
• The roar of real water rushing past your boat
• The feeling of droplets of water hitting your skin

pussinboots

Quote from: "DGRavenswood"To be fair, there's also the talking skull, but yeah, it's not quite on the same scale of fantasy... I agree that that is probably a big part of what makes it so jarring.

I'd prefer if they simply added a "wall of water" effect without any synergy character force-fed onto it. It would be enough of an effect to surprise people as they're traveling through a waterfall, but not too much to distract from the overall experience.

I would have liked to see a movie about that skull. The pirates could defer to it, haha. Yes, if Bruckheimer had been born in a different age, or started his career in Saturday morning television, I could've just about seen it.

But I can live with a wall of water. And even if I weren't, Euro Disney will have the effect out of order most of the time.

sebassah

Quote from: "DGRavenswood"Adding Jack Sparrow AAs is one thing, but I'm not a huge fan of the mist screen projection in POTC. IMO it just doesn't fit with the rest of the attraction, style-wise... in fact it took me completely out of the ride.

I agree. However adding AA is probably the easiest in Paris since the AA's here are way younger than the ones in WDW, TDL or DL.

Martyn

A mirrored image of a very good 'ghostly' Davey animatronic would be a lot better, in a similar style to the 'ghostly ball' in Phantom.

fly_with_me_dumbo

im up for any change like this, will be exciting :D

Anthony

Quote from: "Martyn"A mirrored image of a very good 'ghostly' Davey animatronic would be a lot better, in a similar style to the 'ghostly ball' in Phantom.
But then you're building an expensive animatronic only to see its projected reflection!

Anyway, it's confirmed that Blackbeard is replacing Davy Jones for this effect in the US versions, right? So presumably Paris won't see Davy Jones at all.

CafeFantasia

No, the Blackbeard replacement is only temporary, to promote the 4th Pirates movie (which incidentally is supposed to be crap). So, Davy Jones will return after that, which is good.

Like you said Anthony, it doesn't make any economic sense building an animatronic, only to have it projected and not directly seen. It would surely be much cheaper to just create the CGI animation and project that instead, which is what Disney have done.

Martyn

You do know that if you see it in a reflection, you DO actually see it, so its hardly a waste now, is it?

DopeyDad

I think the point made was that if its a projection then a digital source rather than a physical model can be used, which can easily be changed and is less expensive than creating a full AA.

Patrick89

Hmmm, I don't like the idea of seeing Jack Sparrow and other "real" Characters in POTC. One reason might be that I just hate these movies and I thus fear the "destruction" of my favourite ride...But I also agree with previous comments claiming that the time travel would not fit anylonger or that the image of Davy Jones seems to be to "high-tech" for the ride. I also fear that noone will actually have a look at the story behind POTC after the refurb, because the whole ride will be reduced to the movies and Jack Sparrow...

Does anybody know if the soundtrack will be changed like in the other parks? There, nearly the whole ride seems to be accompanied by the soundtrack of the POTC-movies instead of the good old "Yo ho, a pirates life for me". This would be a catastrophe  :(

In general, my opinion is that they should rather refurbish the old attractions and keep them as they have been, because I really find it frustrating when more and more of the "old" Disneyland disappears and is replaced by more "mainstream" rides (The whole Jules Verne-theme for example...How great Discoveryland has been just a few years ago...)

Actually Discoveryland, Main Street, Frontierland and Adventureland have done well without being associated with Disney characters...They had their own, fascinating stories, which made them so special compared to other theme parks. But now all the old stuff seems to be forgotten and everything is reduced to Disney movies and characters...What a sad development  :(

For me it seems like everything used to be better in the past...Space Mountain, Critter Corral, Visionarium, soon the Pirates...
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

davewasbaloo

Welcome aboard Patrick, I sense the beginning of a beautiful friendship. And despite liking the films, I totally agree with you.
since 2001 (many before that)