Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin

Started by Anthony, August 20, 2010, 04:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martyn

Yeah I'm actually looking forward to the Parachute Drop.... Its Slinky that I think is quite dull, more for babies really.

davewasbaloo

Slinky can be fun, though there are better versions of this ride at Legoland Windsor, and even better still the one at Chessington. With cheaper admission and short waits. I am still scratching my head at the decisions DLP management made to give this thing a green light.
since 2001 (many before that)

ed-uk

Having just watched Toy Story 3, I can understand why Disney would want to create a mini land  in their theme parks called TSPL,  based on their very successful movie franchise, the Toy Story films. Pixar are itching to see their characters and merchandise in the  parks. I think it's one of the reasons Steve Jobs was happy to sell Pixar to Disney.
Ed & David

Martyn

QuoteSlinky can be fun, though there are better versions of this ride at Legoland Windsor, and even better still the one at Chessington. With cheaper admission and short waits. I am still scratching my head at the decisions DLP management made to give this thing a green light.

Chessington? Huh? What that boat thing that changes direction?

davewasbaloo

Yep, essentially the same ride, except slinky does not change directions.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "ed-uk"Having just watched Toy Story 3, I can understand why Disney would want to create a mini land  in their theme parks called TSPL,  based on their very successful movie franchise, the Toy Story films. Pixar are itching to see their characters and merchandise in the  parks. I think it's one of the reasons Steve Jobs was happy to sell Pixar to Disney.

I understand why they would want to use the parks as a further marketing channel (though Buzz, Pizza Planet and Woody's Roundup have been around for sometime). Given the climate in Paris and the lack of a decent dark ride in the Studios, wouldn't Toy Story Midway Mania make better sense? The issue for me has not so much been the theme, but the execution. Three rides have been built that are unpleasant in the rain and cold, with low capacities and 2 of them have age/height restrictions but are tied to a theme to appeal to children.

ed-uk

I take your point about the weather, I wouldn't like to be on BTM in the middle of a snow storm (Disney would  probably have to close the ride), or on the Flying Eliphants in the pouring rain and wind, so the same logic applies to me if it's about the weather. I also take your point about Toy Story Midway Mania being in the dry. But if the Rat ride comes to Toon Studio ( and I think that's the plan, at least they've built the street ) which I would prefer, then we would have two indoor rides together similar to Buzz, by that I mean we get in a car and go round it. Do you think all the rides should be under cover? They do get good weather in Paris, not just bad. Plenty of adults enjoy the Toy Story films, so speaking as an adult I did enjoy the themeing of TSPl, especially at night with the lights on, it was magical. It's transformed the Studios, it was really busy in Toon Studio. I should add though that I didn't go on The Parachute Drop or RC Racer, well not yet. But I would have tried Toy Story Mania. I think Pixar are keen to create lands, rides and attractions based on their films. Carsland, TSPL, not just sell the merchandise.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

Yes, the same criticisms stand for the spinners in DLP. again, I am not keen on them in a Disney park. As for two similar rides, I agree, though Californa, Florida and next year, Tokyo have both Buzz and  TSMM. At least with TSMM we would have a proper Audio Animatronic in WDSP. But I would rather neither had been built and something else, engaging the whole family, indoors and immersive had been built in WDSP instead (though the folliage of TSPL does add something that has been seriously missing from this park).

Martyn

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Yep, essentially the same ride, except slinky does not change directions.

Well if Slinky goes as fast as the Chessington version, then it shoud be quite thrilling.

LittleMonster

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Yep, essentially the same ride, except slinky does not change directions.

Martyn

Slinky is nothing like the same as the Regatta rides?!

davewasbaloo

It is the same drive and track system, the difference is the seats go not swivel, they just face forward. The closer example is the Pterodactyl ride at Legoland Windsor.

Martyn

The track isn't the same though. The wavey hills are all at the same height on the Regatta's, but Slinky slopes down. Its not flat like the Regatta.

CafeFantasia

Well, the floor of the queue area for Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin has been "plussed".

dagobert

This floor looks like the floor of the chemical plant I work during my summer holidays. Just unbelievable!! Do the Imagineers still think about their plans before building the attractions. Recently a lot f things have been "plussed".