Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin

Started by Anthony, August 20, 2010, 04:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Official topic for Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin, the new attraction in Toy Story Playland.

• Please now keep all discussion specific to this ride here.
  • For general discussion about Toy Story Playland, see the original topic.
Quick links:

britincgn

Can I be the first to say I love S Dogs ears flapping in the wind...

Kristof

I noticed this weekend they replaced his ears, they're no longer flapping.

sebassah

Quote from: "Kristof"I noticed this weekend they replaced his ears, they're no longer flapping.

Noticed the same. Wonder why though? Not strong enough, maintenance incentive?

Reiana

When we rode Slinky I wondered if the ears are not going to be ripped apart while flapping around the whole day. The hook inside the ears looked a little bit sharp to me and I thought this won't last long. Maybe I was right. :(

sebassah

Quote from: "Reiana"When we rode Slinky I wondered if the ears are not going to be ripped apart while flapping around the whole day. The hook inside the ears looked a little bit sharp to me and I thought this won't last long. Maybe I was right. :(

New Ears have arrived

(source: cafemickey.be)

Columbiad

I much prefer the new ears. :)

sebassah

Quote from: "Columbiad"I much prefer the new ears. :)

Me to!

Anthony

Random question: Is Slinky Dog actually technically a roller coaster?

They called it a "coaster" in some of the press blurb, but I thought it was just an easy term for the public to understand. However, the ride does run on coaster track, driven by flywheels (I think), not turned from the centre like a carousel or Dumbo. If you stand up close to the railings you can see pretty much all the workings down below, which are far too visible. But zooming in a full resolution on this TSPL press photo (one where Tom Fitzgerland is overseeing the model), in the background you can see a full test set-up of the ride, presumably at Intamin's factory:

So if RC Racer can be considered a roller coaster (going by the RCDB website), is Slinky also one? Or does the fact it's joined together at both ends make it a "flat ride"?

torillien

my daughter loved this ride (she is only 3) and we rode it twice 27 November this year .. it was open in the EMH so very quiet (became very popular once the park opened) - the only critism its a really short ride .. no sooner than he gets to speed you stop .. we would have been on and off it all day if she'd had her way :)
Self confessed Eeyore nut, IT Geek, IBM Champion, and Disney addict
WDW - Feb 2013 - Pirates at the Caribbean Beach

DLP - March 2012 - Disneyland Hotel, WDW - January 2012 - Swan Restort, DLP - June 2011 - Sequoia Lodge, WDW - January 2011 - Dolphin, DLP - November 2010 - Sequoia Lodge

SwipatronSparks

what is it being closed for in feburary.... are they gonna make it faster :D.... its barely been open a few months.... really dissapointing that if we dont ride it on our first day we will miss out completly....
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

Martyn

^ I thought that was odd too. Parachute Drop is also closed around then too. Doesn't seem like 2 mins since they opened!

SwipatronSparks

Quote from: "Martyn"^ I thought that was odd too. Parachute Drop is also closed around then too. Doesn't seem like 2 mins since they opened!

yeh strange that they need maintenance already :S and im not too fussed about parachute drop.... it looks mind numbingly boring.... wish it was closed instead of peter pan or slinky dog =[
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019

upcoming trips....

davewasbaloo

It doesn't fully surprise me. They are attractions designed for much smaller capacities and the winter is the worst possible time to ride them. FWIW - the parachutes are fun and mildly thrilling, then again, I'm not great with heights.
since 2001 (many before that)

SwipatronSparks

Lol I will take your word for it =] I'm only gonna try it if there isn't a huge queue me thinks... I will watch the bags :P

upcoming trips....