Disney's Hotel Santa Fe refurbishment — New "Cars" touches

Started by Kristof, July 30, 2010, 07:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauralouisemidwinter

Hello All,
I stayed at the Santa Fe back in May and I loved the theme. But I thought as it was a theme there was not much of it and for the one Cars themeing was the duvets on the beds and the billboard out the front. I did not mind because I love Cars ... So it is a bit self explantiary :D
<3 Laura  :cheshire_bounce:
Laura Louise

My yesterday is your today, My today is your tomorrow.

DLP - 2011 - May/June - Santa Fe
DLP - 2012 - February - Santa Fe - VERY COLD
DLP - 2013 - March - Santa Fe
DLP - 2014 - September Santa Fe - CAN'T WAIT

lubynoo

so are there Cars on the bedding?! Or there are not sorry confused myself?!

Elaine

yes there are, plus Cars prints on the wall in the bedrooms, and the Cars stars pictures in the main reception building, plus lightning bolts in the flooring at reception (and the billboard of course).

Elaine

lubynoo

oooooohhhhh, my son would LOVE that!! I don't really like the Santa Fe I LOVE the Cheyenne and SL and DLH but I can never afford DLH so its C or SL but omg he would absolutely adore that!! Might have to consider it is it in EVERY room or is it like random choice because just saw the beginning of the thread and it looks plain in that room with normal covers?!

Elaine

they are all refurbed in every room at the Santa Fe now, have been since earlier this year.

Elaine

samuelvictor

We went last March, and loved the refurb and Cars theme, it was done very subtly in the rooms and still fitted with the colour scheme of the hotel, it is far from a brash gauche character makeover. The little touches to look at around the hotel were very cool for fans of the movie, and the large billboard is a lot more "cozy" and friendly for kids to come home to than a large face of a grumpy looking old man they don't recognise! (sorry Clint fans)

Personally, we were desperately tempted (but didn't because we're moral people!) to nick one of the bed covers, they were so cool. They should sell them in the shop  [-o<

bethella

Sounds fab, glad they have refurbished the hotel as it needed it, cant wait to go next week now :)
2003 Santa Fe
2005 Walt disney florida
2011 October Santa Fe

JelleP

@InsideDLParis posted some information on Twitter today!

"The long awaited refurbishment of Hotel Santa Fé started slowly last October, Now exterior tests can be seen!"

"Here's a concept art for the rethemed Disney's Hotel Santa Fé!"

"Disney's Hotel Santa Fé was originally inspired by many icons of the American desert. But this major renewal centres on just one.. Route 66! Dark brown silhouettes of 'Cars' characters will decorate the building tops which will be back-lit a night. All rooms will be refurbished and will get a new automotive inspired look, for example 'bucket seat' chairs and 'traffic cone' lamps. Lightning McQueen, Sally, Mater and Luigi will symbolise the different hotel areas. When will this all be finished? Summer 2013!"
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

CafeFantasia

How is that concept art for a Cars themed Santa Fe? I can't see any Cars/Route 66 elements in it.

DopeyDad

I think those are Lightening McQueen silhouettes on the border, bit 'kids bedroom' for my taste. Traffic cone lamps sound like a bit of fun though.

CafeFantasia

I think the buildings at the Santa Fe would look a lot more attractive if they were surrounded by more greenery, such as palm trees, lush ferns and bamboo. It's just all too stark and bare at the moment.

I agree it is a bit "kids bedroom", but compared to Disney's All-Star Resorts in Florida, it's amazingly tasteful :-)

captain rocket

I don't think you get palm trees, lush ferns and bamboo in Mexico! If they did plant a lot of greenery, imagine the howls of complaint from purists! I just stayed at the Santa Fe for the first time and I was impressed! I think the new cars theming mentioned would be fun and as to it being a bit kids bedroom, well it is Disney!

Magic M

If you want grennery - there is a cactus in a glass tank! But you have to know where to look... ;o)

Anthony

The concept image doesn't look too bad (though probably just because for once it looks like a freshly-painted, well kept hotel rather than a load of damp concrete), but I don't think these silhouettes really work. Are we meant to recognise individual characters? They're all cars, they're all car-shaped.

Putting a border along the top is also the exact same thing they tried with Disney Village, and it didn't work there. It's the kind of lazy, quick thing you'd do in your own home (in the '90s perhaps!) to freshen up a room, not something to apply to a whole hotel. Disappointing more thought or imagination hasn't been put into this.

They should have stuck to making the rooms as wonderfully kitsch as possible and then worked on re-landscaping the area outside. I personally think the hotel would be far better if they removed the car park from the middle of it. The "motel" idea was poor, it just makes the place look dirty and modern vehicles spoil the theme. Landscape that area over with rock formations and plants, a crumbled-up (pedestrianised!) Route 66 stretching along the middle. And maybe incorporate a new kids playground of some sort.

Pete's Dragon

To me personally - I dont really care how Sante Fe looks. I dont care if they spend thousands rethemeing it or decide a few touches here and there will suffice. Sante Fe will always be the 'how cheaply can we stay at DLP' option.

If the room's clean, the croissants are available in La Cantina for breakfast, and the free shuttlebus runs at regular intervals to and from the park, then they can add tumbleweeds, Cactus plants, Cars posters or whatever they want.