PanoraMagique - webcam, new balloon

Started by ICHAPMAN, September 07, 2009, 02:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ICHAPMAN

Hi,

Not seen this mentioned before, but I note that the operators of the Panormagique Ballon in the Village have updated the website to include a WebCam.

http://www.panoramagique.com/webcam

Not the most impressive of images, shame it doesn't 'track' the ballon, but it's a start.  Thought I'd share!.

Regards

Iain.

-breeno-

The news on the Panoramagique webcam has already been mentioned here ;)
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

ICHAPMAN

Ah sorry, The Sorcerer's Workshop isn't an area of the board I tend to follow.

Anthony

This can be a topic for the webcam. It's resort news after all.

And great news, too! Now you can see just how short the balloon flights are for your €12! :lol:

Owain

LOL, i can tell this is going to keep us DLRP Geeks intrested, constantly watching panoramagique going up and down. Anyway good news for iphone/ipod touch users too. Download the WorldView app and search Disney. And this webcam is available on there, save it as your bookmark. And check up on panoramagique as much as you want  :lol:

CafeFantasia

Is there an emergency procedure in place, in the event of that single cable breaking? I know, it's a steel cable, but what would happen if it came undone? Can they get the balloon down somehow?

RnRCj

^I've thought about that too. Doesn't a member of staff go up with the guests? Maybe they would just slowly let air out of the baloon and hope it lands in a nice place...

Anthony

I'm glad I went on for the first time last week before reading those thoughts, thanks! But yes, if somehow something went wrong with that huge cable, it's hard not to think you'd be doomed. There is an attendant on board, they just ask you to spread out evenly after taking off. Anyway, it felt safer than I'd expected, more like a lift going up.

The only downside is the length of the "flight" like I said above. I just about finished filming going up (video coming soon, plug), madly snapped about 10 photos of different areas and then we were coming down. Pff. It must be a good earner, seeing those people in the queue now at 6pm in low-season.

It'd be great if this is still there when the new hotel and DV extension starts going up opposite (so, 2050?).

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Anthony"Anyway, it felt safer than I'd expected, more like a lift going up.

DLP have a bad reputation for their lifts!

:twisted: :twisted:  :twisted:

Anthony

I knew I should have specified not a Tower of Terror lift. :lol:

No, it feels really smooth and not at all precarious like I expected.

CafeFantasia

@Anthony

Sorry, didn't mean to put you off :-)

Yeah, if that cable broke or snapped I think you would be doomed. Death pretty much guaranteed. The attendant couldn't really do much, other than narrate your journey up into space, before the balloon popped due to the low pressure of the air around it, which would send you plummeting back to earth, hopefully landing on the Walt Disney Studios and destroying Animagique ;-)

I know what you mean about it feeling like a lift, but I personally felt it was more like being on a boat. It had the same kind of buoyant floaty feeling. It felt really safe to me, and like you said, not at all precarious.

The ride lasts about 6 minutes, doesn't it. It could perhaps do with being 10 minutes long. Thing is, when you get to the top and it stops moving, some people might either get scared or bored if it stayed up there too long. But a couple of extra minutes wouldn't hurt.

I look forward to seeing your video.

Gareth

even thou a lot does not happen on it i check it all the time hehe and i cant wait to go up when i go in december :D

[size=150]Please Follow Me - - - - Twitter.com/Gareth2100 ---- Thanks

Willow

I remember reading when Characters in Flight debuted at WDW that the pilot can manually release the helium and bring the balloon down.

CafeFantasia

Oh, really? He can bring the balloon down slowly? That's great.

But what about the other way round? What if the balloon pops while you're in the air? Do they have a plan b for that situation?

Willow

Quote from: "Alan"Oh, really? He can bring the balloon down slowly? That's great.

But what about the other way round? What if the balloon pops while you're in the air? Do they have a plan b for that situation?

Maybe the material for the balloon means it cannot pop, or there are multiple layers of material.  :P