Rendez-Vous becomes Restaurant des Stars

Started by phantom247, February 23, 2009, 03:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom247

Currently work is ongoing to replace the existing signage over the entrance of the Restaurant as well as new carpets etc.   By April or sooner if everything fits into place quicker than anticipated Rendez-vous des Stars will be more Restaurant of the Stars.

Drinks will be served at the tables and I expect they will have an enhanced drinks menu to go along side this.
 Reservations will soon become possible for this restaurant that guests have been asking for for many years.

I hope this is not the end and the dinning area hopefully re-imaginered to create a more fine dining ambience and scrap the Buffet bringing a range of new dishes maybe named after Touchstone,Hollywood etc picture properties which are part of the Disney family in the next few years.

Maarten

I like the fact that Rendez-vous des Stars will become a table service restaurant. However, am I the only one who feels that Restaurant of the Stars sounds quite lame? I dont think its nescessary to rebrand the restaurant (at least not with a name thats too similar like that). A waste of money if you ask me, money that could be used elsewhere. Hopefully the new concept of the restaurant will become as success.

According to Jim Hill Media:

QuoteMeanwhile, over at Epcot's Les Chefs de France ... Well, Disney knows better than to mess with the nouvelle cuisine that this restaurant's three internationally acclaimed chefs -- Paul Bocuse, Roger Verge, and Gaston LeNotre – serve up. But that said, Les Chefs de France is still one of the most expensive restaurants found in that theme park. And given that Guests are really watching their money these days, Disney World officials felt that they had to come up with a strong new draw for this France pavilion restaurant.

Which is why – this past Monday -- Remy from "Ratatouille" began making appearances at Les Chefs de France. And – no – I'm not talking about some sweaty teenager in a walk-around Remy costume. I'm talking about the latest application of Disney's Living Character Initiative program. Which first started entertaining diners at Walt Disney Studios' Rendez-Vous des Stars restaurant last summer.

Be warned, though. This itty-bitty animatronic Remy is scheduled to make his last appearance at Epcot on September 10th. So if you want to be entertained by Little Chef while you're dining at Les Chef de France, you'd best make some reservations ASAP.

Source: //http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2009/03/12/disney-food.aspx

Did they clone our Remy for Epcot, or has our Remy crossed the big pond? And if so, will he return in September?

pussinboots

Quote from: "Maarten"However, am I the only one who feels that Restaurant of the Stars sounds quite lame?

No. I don't mean to go on about the good-old-days-when-everything-used-to-be-perfect again, but I find it regrettable that things like that are so very much without imagination now. Yes, names as well. Apart from that clever streak that was Hollywood Boulevard (which was of course filled with witty details), most everything language-related in the Studios seems so obvious and one-dimensional. There's Studio This and That of the Stars and everything invites you to eat like a star or experience movie magic. Dullsville. The park's blurb on the official website has the word "cinemagical" in it. You get the picture.

At the Disneyland Park, there's eternal potential to go, "ha, a barber shop called Dapper Dan's/an ice cream parlor called the Gibson Girl/a bicycle shop with a Wright Brothers insinuation. How clever!"

It reminds me of something Eddie Sotto once wrote for Yesterland...
"This harkens back to the rich historical depth Disneyland instilled in its design. Charles Dana Gibson, the highest paid American illustrator of his day, created the aloof "Gibson Girl" character that inspired the suffragette movement. We gave his creations a tribute in the form of an ice cream parlor. Herb once told me that it is just as expensive to use research to base your design on something meaningful as to just make it up. He was right and we were trying to follow in that overlooked tradition. That depth has a value."

But I digress as usual. A table service restaurant is good news! I hope they'll redecorate more than the name, though.

Maarten

The beautiful Rendez-vous des Stars sign above the entrance of the restaurant has been removed lately. Its expected that a new Restaurant des Stars sign will be placed soon.

Source: Mouetto at Disney Central Plaza.

Riebi

Sad. I liked rendez-vous des stars much more.

But it seems that not my DLRP-year with all this MMP-stuff and bad taste decisions  :lol:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

The Butlin Boy

luke85

Is it just me, or does the sign look really small? I was expecting something a bit larger! Anyone else?

djdisney

Yeah that sign looks a little on the small side, but it could just be the angle of the camera

RnRCj

Looking at that first photo - doesn't the exterior of the restaurant look so boring? Plain yellow-ish walls, generic round windows, and a random fence on top... whatever happened to the Theatre District placemaking? :roll:

The sign looks fine, if a little small. The rest of the building is what needs a lot of work in my opinion! Not sure why I haven't noticed it up until now.

luke85

Quote from: "RnRCj"Looking at that first photo - doesn't the exterior of the restaurant look so boring? Plain yellow-ish walls, generic round windows, and a random fence on top... whatever happened to the Theatre District placemaking? :roll:

The sign looks fine, if a little small. The rest of the building is what needs a lot of work in my opinion! Not sure why I haven't noticed it up until now.
I think that's what makes the sign look so small, there's so much empty yellow space, which looks awful. I was expecting the new sign to go in the same place as "Rendez-vous des Stars"...

pussinboots

I don't understand this at all. Why was this necessary? Who thinks of this stuff.

dagobert

Is there anything new at DLRP that doesn't turn bad?

Very beautiful castle - ugly Mickey shaped things on the spires
Very beautiful Central Plaza - ugly stage
Very beautiful castle - ugly toon sign on the castle

And now the Restaurant des Stars sign. It is too small and it should be placed where the old sign was. The yellow wall looks really bad without any sign on it.

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"I don't understand this at all. Why was this necessary? Who thinks of this stuff.
Indeed, Rendez-Vous des Stars Restaurant sounds like a much more table service-worthy name than Restaurant des Stars, which sounds like the slogans on those Catering Co vans you love so much.

How do people realise Blue Lagoon, Auberge de Cendrillon, etc are restaurants?! Let's do a bit more renaming, just in case the idiot public don't "get it"...

Blue Lagoon: Restaurant des Pirates
Walt's: Restaurant de Walt
Auberge de Cendrillon: Restaurant de Cendrillon
Cowboy Cookout Barbeque: Restaurant des Cowboys
Rainforest Cafe: Restaurant de la Rainforest

And you get the idea with that. So now the park has "Restaurant en Coulisse", "Restaurant des Stars" and "Cafe des Cascadeurs". But... what on earth is Backlot Express?!

But the new sign is pretty alright, it's actually more 50s/periody than the old one, and it's nice to see some colours other than yellow and turquoise. More surprising, probably, that there's no mention of Remy anywhere. Would have thought they'd lead with that. I'm waiting for something to fill the empty façade, too.

davewasbaloo

I was wondering that Ant.  Do we know if Remy is history (e.g. over at WDW) or is he still here?
since 2001 (many before that)

The Butlin Boy

It looks like Remy stays!

Source: http://www.dlrptimes.com/article-30018263.html