Disney's Once Upon a Dream Parade

Started by Kristof, January 16, 2006, 07:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poppy The Monkey

Not sure if whichever cast members' who are complaining about the size have see the parade in the park or backstage, but the "forced perspective" in the park makes the floats look much bigger and impressive.

If you look at the current floats backstage they are not really impressive at all, they look smallish and the wear and tear after 15 years is really beginnning to show on most of them.

I think this kind of bad publicity is really not needed before the parade is launched. Many cast have been part of the WWODP for so many years and to finally launch a new parade in the park is a big, exciting and proud thing for them. I have heard enough "it's too small" comments now and it just brings down the moral and mood of the cast involved, without justification considering it's 2 weeks still before the offical premiere.

It is smaller (less height) than the Wonderful World of Disney Parade - that's not going to be denied and you should prepare for that, but its not "too small" just different from what we are used to. However, the parade brings with it many things that make it unique and different but still magical: the details on the floats, animated float features, the confetti effects, the scents, the lighting effects, the different characters, the show-stop features, more detailed costumes, more diverse music and lots more too.

Do you need to crane your neck up to the sky to see Belle? Cinderella's float is widely thought of as the best float in the parade - and thats not towering into the sky, but the details is what makes it special. And the details on the new parade are very impressive and captivating.

People shouldn't judge the parade until it premiers in full on 31st March.

Sorry for that rant.  :wink:

Samninetysix

Well said Poppy, some people are maybe too quick to criticise but like you say, things are just different, not worse - it's nice to see someone stick up for the changes

Japper

Good! That really makes me looking forward to next saturday!

:)

Anthony

Brilliant post Tom (Poppy), I totally agree.

Their last new parade at DLP - ImagiNations - failed in part because the floats were too big and there weren't enough characters, so I understand what they're doing with this one.

I think Once Upon a Dream will be a much better "show" than WWODP.  All those cool features Tom listed, the parade stops, confetti, the AMAZING music... it feels like such a complete package with quality all over.  I haven't seen it yet - lol - but right now it feels top quality.  I guess in 2 weeks time I'll have made my mind up for real.

Kris

From anything I've seen of the parade, yes it is smaller. The experience, detail etc is most important however, but the size will be particularly apparent around the Central Plaza area. Fantillusion has small floats too, but since it is dark you have little way to relate its size to anything else.

It is nice to see the whole space infront of you filled with a spectacular float, yet allowing your other senses "absorb" the magic will intensify anything you see too. All this being said, if I had the choice of a small float or a larger version of the same quality, I'd pick the bigger one.

How can a parade that's been many years in the making get spacing wrong? I can't believe parts of the floats are not big enough to fit the characters and they may seem cramped. It's very careless indeed and could give the impression that the parade hasn't been thought through - something Disney does to put it ahead of its rivals. I'll reserve my judgement until I've seen the entire thing ;-)
Grab a balloon, come on let\'s go!

thebatman_1

Hey there, having witnessed the new parade (though not in full as all the floats arent finished yet though are being sent out due to rep) I can say wow, this is a great parade. The floats are terrific. Especially the villians float!! The size thing really doesnt matter because they still look big and the detailing on them are amazing. The music is very disney and the interractions are great aswell. Oh I love the toy story/winnie float, very cool indeed!!! I think people are going to love this parade, just glad I got to see the sneek peek!!

adamguy_6

Oh this size thing is a load of rubbish in my opinion. Most people like Disney's Cinema Parade, but as I recall the floats are smaller than that of WWODP.

Plus, when set among the towering studio one - and the sheer amount of open space along the parade route, nobody has ever complained the parade looks 'small' - so im sure DOADP will be fine.

Don't judge until you see the full showmanship.  :D
Once Upon A Time...

Riebi

Don´t make bad moods!

I´m sure the parade will be great! Size doesn´t matter! With a plus of dancers, characters and effekts the can pulling handcarts to make a wonderful expierence!
I´m sure the new parade will be a success.
All the characters, the new music, the effekts: real disney expierence.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Anthony

Some cool new "fun facts" about the parade's music:

- The entire music score features around 150,000 notes!

- The prestigious Royal Philharmonic Orchestra of London performed the 'Once Upon a Dream' score of each float led by Steve Sidwell - an orchestra of 70 musicians with 120kg of sheet music!  The orchestra was recorded at Steve Sidwell's base in Angel Studios, Islington, London, over a period of 10 days.

- Spread across the 8 floats are 66 speakers and 22 subwoofers, playing the individual soundtracks from multi-channel readers on board each of the floats.

More here (including descriptions of the music style for each float):
http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guides/15thann ... /music.htm

disneymadchris

Quote from: "Baloo"Some cool new "fun facts" about the parade's music:

- The entire music score features around 150,000 notes!

- The prestigious Royal Philharmonic Orchestra of London performed the 'Once Upon a Dream' score of each float led by Steve Sidwell - an orchestra of 70 musicians with 120kg of sheet music!  The orchestra was recorded at Steve Sidwell's base in Angel Studios, Islington, London, over a period of 10 days.

- Spread across the 8 floats are 66 speakers and 22 subwoofers, playing the individual soundtracks from multi-channel readers on board each of the floats.

More here (including descriptions of the music style for each float):
http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guides/15thann ... /music.htm

Cool!!  :D

Anthony

The parade will be underway right now... :o  I feel nervous just sitting here, hundreds of miles away...

I'm making the most of the fact this topic will be a no-go area soon, I'm going to try not to see anything until Friday/Saturday.  Let's see how long that lasts... :P

miss disney fan

wonder if they can get the 1st parade done without the rain

disneymadchris

Quote from: "miss disney fan"wonder if they can get the 1st parade done without the rain

Now that's the challenge!!

Kristof

Here they are!!! The very first photos from the parade (including rain)!!!!!

http://www.photosmagiques.com/gallery/once_upon_a_dream

Anthony

Shame about the rain. :( I hope it went without a hitch!  And great job with getting the photos, I'm very impressed!

*Baloo collapses under the pressure of not looking at the the first photos*

I shall now abandon this topic and leave you all to discuss the Once Upon a Dream...  :wink: