Fantasyland Expansion Rumours - Little Mermaid and more

Started by Kristof, August 09, 2008, 02:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

Based on my trip last week, Fantasyland could definitely do with some extra capacity. It was packed! When you have to queue up to get into Alice's Curious Labyrinth you know something's wrong :-)

I keep wondering though, what would the affect be if they replaced the Snow White and Pinnochio rides with Mickey's PhilharMagic? Is it higher capacity than those two dark rides combined? Would it eat up more of the crowds? Perhaps the original Beauty and the Beast site would be large enough for Mickey's PhilharMagic?

But going back to the original topic, I would love to see either a Little Mermaid, or just a Winnie The Pooh, dark ride behind the Fantasyland Train Station.

lil-shawn

i think the winnie the pooh attraction would fit perfectly behind
the fantasyland station, and it fit perfectly with the UK theme of fantasyland.
but the little meermaid should be build on the location where it was planed befor,
there is enough sace for the attraction...

wherever they will build it, i cant wait to go and ride it LOL

QuoteIt will happen, Disney loves to clone rides.
hey was that ride not planed for us? they had stolen it from us  :evil:
thats always the same crap with disney, our good ideas will go into
one of the other parks and we don´t get anything or a few years later
as a clone..

Willow

Quote from: "lil-shawn"
QuoteIt will happen, Disney loves to clone rides.
hey was that ride not planed for us? they had stolen it from us  :evil:
thats always the same crap with disney, our good ideas will go into
one of the other parks and we don´t get anything or a few years later
as a clone..

I think the ride which will be built in California Adventure will be very different to what was planned for Paris.
This is just a hunch, but I think the ride seen in the promo-video is dead. Some ideas may make it to the final ride but I can see a lot of changes.

CafeFantasia

You're right. The ride that they're building at Disney's California Adventure is not the same as what was planned for Disneyland Paris.

The DLP version was a suspended dark ride, similar to Peter Pan's Flight, with changes in elevation. Whereas the DCA version appears to be an omnimover ride, similar to Phantom Manor, on one flat level.

CafeFantasia

Now that we have this 3D model of Disneyland Paris on Google Earth, we can view the Fantasy Festival Stage from all angles :-) This area of the park certainly looks its been designed with a future attraction in mind.

Anthony

Note: I've bundled all the loose Little Mermaid/Fantasy Festival Stage topics together into one.

Quote from: "Alan"Now that we have this 3D model of Disneyland Paris on Google Earth, we can view the Fantasy Festival Stage from all angles :-) This area of the park certainly looks its been designed with a future attraction in mind.

As much as I want Fantasyland to expand this way, it'd be really sad to see the structure of the theatre go.

It'd be great if they could open up the middle of it to provide a route through but keep the two sides as some kind of old English tea room (scones, anyone?), under the glass canopy. Would be very welcome on a rainy day...

luke85

Quote from: "Anthony"It'd be great if they could open up the middle of it to provide a route through but keep the two sides as some kind of old English tea room (scones, anyone?), under the glass canopy. Would be very welcome on a rainy day...
That is a wicked idea! A really nicely themed, maybe Wind in the Willows cafe?

Remco K.

Quote from: "Nala_84"That's some amazing pics, I've never seen any sketches of the Little Mermaid ride before :)! I didn't read through this long text, but it isn't already official for the ride to come true, is it?!
Quote from: "Jaber"I think it's really gonna happen [-o<
The ride seen in the pics and video are an earlier version of The Little Mermaid, which was once planned for DLRP. A lot of this material can be found on the The Little Mermaid Special Edition DVD.

The new ride that´s now planned for DCA features an omnimover ride system. The earlier version would contain vehicles which are suspended from the track.

lil-shawn

QuoteI think the ride which will be built in California Adventure will be very different to what was planned for Paris.
This is just a hunch, but I think the ride seen in the promo-video is dead. Some ideas may make it to the final ride but I can see a lot of changes.

Yeah i know, it will be different, but the idea is of the whole thing comes
from our missed attraction.. you know the imagineers don´t take good ideas away,
they will work on it and you will see it someday in one of the parks, maybe as it was befor or
in a different way!!

and as i said, if they build the mermaid attraction, please in its old location, the old
concept would work there and the omnimover system too... in this space you could put in the
showbuilding from phantom manor!!

Kristof

Building the TLM ride at its old location, this has been said before, would make no sense at all.  First of all because that backstage area has been changed since Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast and because the entrance and exit of the ride would lead right in to the parade waiting crowds at 4pm...

Put it in the Story Book Land area behind Festival Stage and clear the beautiful Fantasyland Station like the Imagineers originally envisioned it to be...  That's how I'd do it... :)

Timbo

I would really like to see this built in it's original location,I know they have built on the land behind it;but think that side of Fantasyland always seems a bit dead and unbalanced compared to the rest of it !I'm sure they could move the buildings behind it ,aren't they used for corporate events?

pussinboots

That area of Fantasyland is indeed a trifle lifeless, but I don't have a huge problem with the berm there. It's a nice bit of landscaping. Besides, the castle from the Little Mermaid would seem a little strange and abrupt there, wouldn't it? There isn't nearly enough space for such a big thematic transition, even considering the happily eclectic pupu platter that is Fantasyland. Now the Beauty and the Beast area, that could use a little something. There has been a "temporary" fence behind l'Arbre Enchante for 17 years now.

But I agree with Kristof. Realistically, the odds of more than one new Fantasyland ride opening this century are slim, so why not pick the best possible space for it? And that's definitely behind the station; probably the resort's number one "develop me!" spot now that La Terrasse has got its Tower.

Another reason is that the Fantasy Festival Stage is a relic of the days before hub-centric cheapotainment, and its sole purpose nowadays is being in the way. So yes, mow it down, give the station back its sunlight and let that tunnel lead to Copenhagen — or wherever the heck the Little Mermaid is supposed to take place. (Why is the crab Jamaican?)

Captain Pan

Quote from: "pussinboots"Another reason is that the Fantasy Festival Stage is a relic of the days before hub-centric cheapotainment, and its sole purpose nowadays is being in the way. So yes, mow it down, give the station back its sunlight and let that tunnel lead to Copenhagen — or wherever the heck the Little Mermaid is supposed to take place. (Why is the crab Jamaican?)

Now thats a chat for Cinemagique... but I can give you the quick low down now

Disney originally wanted to do it... and shelved it when no story came from it...

Disney Hired Ashman & Menken, and they took a look at the story along with the director and took Sebastian from being a Stuffy Brit, to a a Crab from the Caribbean as Disney's directional  team refocused the story along the lines of the relationship between Father and Daughter.

Menken & Ashman used thier experience with "Little Shop of Horrors" to create some of the Most infamous pieces of music in Disney History... Part of the World & Under The Sea...

luke85

Quote from: "pussinboots"Another reason is that the Fantasy Festival Stage is a relic of the days before hub-centric cheapotainment, and its sole purpose nowadays is being in the way. So yes, mow it down, give the station back its sunlight and let that tunnel lead to Copenhagen — or wherever the heck the Little Mermaid is supposed to take place. (Why is the crab Jamaican?)

I have always been so confused by the supposed location of The Little Mermaid!? Sometimes I think it's the Caribbean, sometimes the Mediterranean, it always keeps me guessing!

But regardless of my geographical confusion, I really hope the people behind DLP start to develop the space behind the station. I think we have the best Fantasyland out of all the Disney parks, although some of the attractions seriously need a good seeing to, Alice's Curious Labyrinth should be job number 1. I absolutely love Fantasyland and could spend hours there, so more attractions/themed areas would be a major plus point in my book :) and I think Ariel would be feel very much at home here!

Anthony

The only obvious downside to putting an expensive E-Ticket behind Fantasyland is that it'd have to close early every time there's fireworks. Although that's not exactly often.

Also, I'd always assumed the theatre's stage was actually in the Fantasyland Station building. Is it not?