Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smurfy74

Back on topic please [-o<

davewasbaloo

No doubt Eisner lost it in the latter days. But I do not think anyone can dispute the amazing things he did in his first 10 years:

WDW expansion with great hotels and a variety of offerings
DL expansion
Tokyo Disney Sea
Cruise Lines
The rebirth of animation
the support of Pixar
DLP
the birth of Disney theatrical
Touchstone
Miramax
Hollywood Pictures

Those first 10 years were as significant as Walt's contributions.

Compare that to Iger's contributions - decline of most parks, and films
Purchase of PIXAR (this was smart though)
Purchase of Muppets and Marvel - jury out on those.
since 2001 (many before that)

RnRCj

ed-uk, may I kindly ask you to re-read some of davewasbaloo's posts. I get the feeling you are skimming through them and just ignoring everything he says. No matter what we say you try to keep finding excuses to make everything seem all fine and dandy. Well, sorry to say this, but it's not. And it's not all a matter of opinion either. There has been a loss in quality at Disney resorts - it's undeniable. We don't bring up these thing for sake of it. I am genuinely worried that Disney will never return to it's former standards, but it seems that you don't really care at all about this. Sadly the more people don't care about it, the more the standards are going to slip.

Here's a friendly looking smiley in case I'm coming across as aggressive, that is not my aim at all: :wink:

Now, to keep this post on topic:

Toy Story Playland
-- awful capacity on the attractions, long queues.
-- of-the-shelf uninspiring rides with little theming and bare steel showing.
-- a skyline likely to be ruined by huge pieces of steel.
-- no restaurants, shops, or any real attempt at area development.
-- a theme that is arguably over-used.
-- a theme that is inappropriate to the park.

...just my little summary of what we should all be expecting in Summer 2010! :mrgreen:

SM:M3

Quote from: "RnRCj"Toy Story Playland
-- awful capacity on the attractions, long queues.
-- of-the-shelf uninspiring rides with little theming and bare steel showing.
-- a skyline likely to be ruined by huge pieces of steel.
-- no restaurants, shops, or any real attempt at area development.
-- a theme that is arguably over-used.
-- a theme that is inappropriate to the park.

1 = true; but more overall park capacity
2 = not completely true, Slinky Dog Zig Zag Spin (or whatever were meant to call it :wink: ) looks quite well themed
3 = the long grass might go someway to hiding it but thats just my wishful thinking :(
4 = they might add some sort of food location (probably one of those vans thay have dressed up round WDS) in the future
5 = well, thats completely true, no questions asked
6 = depends what they use as a backstory, they had a weak alibi with TOT, "were filming an episode of the Twilight Zone and built the whole set". What about that Honey I Shrunk the Kids thing at DHS :?:

On an unrelated note, since park opening nearly all development, except TOT, has come on the east of the park, and looks like it might continue that way, leaving a barren Production Courtyard and Backlot to contend with, only names and interiors have changed there, nothing new built

Malin

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Compare that to Iger's contributions - decline of most parks, and films
Purchase of PIXAR (this was smart though)
Purchase of Muppets and Marvel - jury out on those.

Was it not Eisner responsible for the purchase of the Muppets. I was under the impression he brought them before stepping down from his position as CEO.

As for Iger the verdict is still out, I feel its wrong to bash his contributions towards the parks because he hasn't had a chance to really mark his stamp on them. The DCA expansion will be his true test, and the recent Exec swap. If Tom Staggs is able to restore some of the quality that has been lost in recent years, than it was a smart move by Iger to swap him and Rasulo around. Also it will be interesting to see how the Studio business changes now Dick Cook has resigned. The fact Iger has decided to make changes at the top indicates to me he's currently not happy with the direction of the company.

davewasbaloo

I really do hope and pray you are right James.

ed-uk

RnRcj, I always read Davewasbaloo with great interest and amazement. I just don't share his views much. I have never said that I think everything is always fine and dandy in the parks. I know Disney can make mistakes, sometimes they even make a bad film. I still believe Disney know a think or two about theme parks and theme park design. With 11 theme parks in the world I think they must. Expanding into China even, unthinkable 25 years ago. And kindly don't hold me responsible for the direction the Disney company is being led. If you don't like the way things are going in the theme parks it's not down to me.
Ed & David

Willow

I don't think anyone can deny that the Disney Theme Parks have reduced in quality in the noughties. The only exception to the rule is Tokyo.

Thank you for your posts davewasbaloo, they were very interesting. Although we don't often agree on various points I still respect your opinion.

The Butlin Boy

Slinky's Box is starting to be put together...

:arrow: http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2898/1000011v.jpg

Source: Newton on Disney Central Plaza

SM:M3

QuoteToy Soldiers Parachute Drop will have a capacity of 720 guests / hour.
//http://twitter.com/wdsfans

Looks like queues on all the TSPL attractions will be stupidly long  :x
Personally, I'm not going to queue long for these 3 attractions, I don't know about anyone else?

Disneydavid

You know , I think you should see it as a total view , not per ride, but one whole themepart.

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

Newest episode.... Toy Story Playland The Tour and Rc RACER!

davewasbaloo

Agreed, but the tacky theming approach and the nature of them being off the shelf carnival rides are not what Disney is all about, in fact it seems to go against the very reason why Walt created Disneyland.

Scissorsboi

I guess you could argue that at the bare bones of Disneyland, Walt wanted the adults to be able to play and join in, instead of just watching the children on the carousels. TSPL is almost making childrens toys suitable for adults to explore and enjoy again - it's grabbing at straws, but I can almost justify it that way.

The rides don't excite me, much in the way that Crush doesn't - I'll admit too that I wasn't excited by Race Rally, but when I saw it, there was a flicker of Disney to the area they put it in, and I'm hoping that this is the same with TSPL. My one big fear is that oversized "we've shrunk you" theming never seems to work, for me it didn't with Toy Story Mania's queueline, HISTC Play Area, and I'm terrified that the area will just be massive fiberglass blades of grass!

They may pull this off well, and it may work (afterall, it gives the park more capacity overall, which should soak up some of the Crush lines) to tie into a future development (Ratatouille in particular), so I guess I'm on the fence, it's not wonderful Disney magic as it used to be, but it's not horrendously out of place that it'll detract from the park.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

JelleP

Well... I totally agree with Scissorsboi.
Cars Race Rally looks great in my opinion, and i really didn't expected that. I just hope TSPL will look as great as in this picture and that it won't be just strange grass blades made out of fiberglass...
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

The Butlin Boy

Construction is really speeding ahead now...

:arrow: http://www.dlrptimes.com/article-chanti ... 44396.html

:wink: