Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

I'm actually fairly happy with Toy Story Playland now. Sure, it's no Wizarding World of Harry Potter but let's face it, nothing like that will ever get built in Paris. Toy Story Playland aims low, yet Disney would happily build it at Walt Disney World or Disneyland California. It's American Disney quality, it's got the support of John Lasseter; it's not some cheap French imitation.

It's really Disneyland Paris' equivalent of A Bug's Land at Disney California Adventure. Nothing major, just an attractive addition to the park, aimed mainly at kids.

dagobert

Quote from: "Alan"I'm actually fairly happy with Toy Story Playland now. Sure, it's no Wizarding World of Harry Potter but let's face it, nothing like that will ever get built in Paris. Toy Story Playland aims low, yet Disney would happily build it at Walt Disney World or Disneyland California. It's American Disney quality, it's got the support of John Lasseter; it's not some cheap French imitation.

It's really Disneyland Paris' equivalent of A Bug's Land at Disney California Adventure. Nothing major, just an attractive addition to the park, aimed mainly at kids.

I've never experienced "A Bug's Land" so I don't know what it looks like. I always compare TSPL with Chester and Hester's Dinorama in DAK at WDW. For me this is one of the ugliest places in any Disney park I 've ever been. Compared to this TSPL looks good. I don't hate TSPL, I just think it doesn't fit into WDS. Why is Andy's backyard in a studio?
Okay I hate the parachute tower, because this attraction looks really ugly.

In recent years nothing like the Wizarding World of HP got build in any Disney park, except for Tokyo. In my opinion WDI lost it's creativity a little bit. The last great NEW attractions Disney built were Soarin' and Expedition Everest. ToT in Paris is just a copy. The same is happening at DCA. I'm sure Carsland will be great, but the main ride relies on the technology of Test Track. Universal invented a complete new ride technology for HP. TLM attraction uses the omnimover. Maybe Ratatouille or Mystic Manor will be something new. A few days ago I received the new WDI book with all the great concept arts of great rides built around the world. And Paris gets TSPL.

Nevertheless I have to admit that the theming of the land (not the rides) looks nice.

Quote from: "smurfy74"with  regards to visual intrusion that everyone goes on about, in the Disneyland park you can see SMM2 from riding on Mark Twain and you can see the castle from adventure isle and you can see btm from indiana and you can see other attractions from other lands so im not sure what all the fuss is about

You are right, but SM is ot just 10 meters away from Thunder Mesa, while Andy's backxard with the parachute tower is right behind Hollywood. When you are strolling around you are fully immersed into Frontierland and you can't see SM, but I admit you can see ToT.

DopeyDad

You can't see TSPL strolling around frontier land. From the second lift of Big Thunder its fairly clear, but still dwarfed by ToT and still less obvious than Space Mountain, the Castle, parts of Main Street and the Disneyland Hotel.

lil-shawn

QuoteIn recent years nothing like the Wizarding World of HP got build in any Disney park, except for Tokyo. In my opinion WDI lost it's creativity a little bit.

Hehe there are 2 funny things about it, first the wizarding world of harry potter got designed
by an ex disney imagineer and the second, WDI has a lot of good ideas, but the suits who need
a 13 month payment of 30 million dollars stop them to bring up the good stuff.

look at DCA franchize bob just gave his okay to all movie themed attraction, nothing original ect.
i think this is the new way disney is going, and thats just because some of them donĀ“t believe anymore
in the disney product.
there is one thing why i miss eigner, he really let dreams of the imagineers come true,
first DLP and then TDS and a lot of new original attraction, not really movie based, why cant franchize bob
do this!!!

SM:M3

Its Rex!

Source: DCP

Festival Disney

Quite a find over on NewsDLRP.com,
The dates for TSPL's soft openings!

It says...
11th, 12th and 13th of August 2010 are the planned soft opening dates  :lol:
And it also says something about "Projections Toy Story" in the CineMagique theatre? Are they going to be showing Toy Story films!! :?
EDIT: here's the source  ;) //http://www.newsdlrp.com/dlp-89-dates-des-softs-openning-de-toy-story-playland.html
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

bigrossco

looking at it as well they seem to be doing it a few days before, so perhaps they are showing the Toy Story movies?
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

disneyrules

Quote from: "JelleP"@WDSfans: The maximum speed of RC Racer will be 76km/h (47 mph).

And

@DLPtrivia: The new Walt Disney Imagineering book reveals a Hamm based attraction called "When Pigs Fly" was considered for Toy Story Playland.

Just two interesting Twitter-facts ;)

Cool what type of ride was when pigs fly.
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

SM:M3

Quote from: "disneyrules"
Quote from: "JelleP"@WDSfans: The maximum speed of RC Racer will be 76km/h (47 mph).

And

@DLPtrivia: The new Walt Disney Imagineering book reveals a Hamm based attraction called "When Pigs Fly" was considered for Toy Story Playland.

Just two interesting Twitter-facts ;)

Cool what type of ride was when pigs fly.

The rendering shows 4 guests in a pig shaped car, similar to Dumbo or Orbitron

guest3474

Is there a link for this new imagineering book? I've heard about it everywhere, but can't seem to find it..

dagobert

The book is called "Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making More Magic Real" and you will find it on Amazon.com. It's a great book and really worth the money. I'm sure the book is also available at DLRP.

JelleP

@WDSFans: "Interesting Toy Story Playland article reveals more details"

Newsreel, an official magazine for The Walt Disney Company Cast Members, featured last month an interesting article on Toy Story Playland.

Imagineer Tom Fitzgerald reveals these interesting details:

- Benches are fashioned from Lincoln Logs
- Wall constructed of dominoes
- Trash cans designed to look like wooden blocks
- 14-foot-tall talking Buzz Lightyear action figure at one entrance
- Barrel of Monkey's at second entrance
- Tinkertoys lampposts
- Oversized holiday lights
- Andy's enormous but subtle footprints on the walkway
- Green Army Men Training Camp (queue) features life-sized green army men, a quonset hut, a plastic jeep, crates, a lookout station and a baby monitor.
- Cast Member costumes with oversized buttons.

Read the entire article here!
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

Disneydavid

wow , that looks more like it ;)

guys , when i saw this pictures... it doesn't looked like the Studios anymore...!

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

Newest episode.... Toy Story Playland The Tour and Rc RACER!

JelleP

That's the second entrance, right?
With the "Barrel of Monkey's" near the Rat. attraction ( :D )
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

CafeFantasia

I believe what you can see in the foreground is the Parisian themed path. Look at those two columns, the single tree planted in the pavement and the brickwork on the ground. Not at all Toy Story themed is it? This really is the start of the Ratatouille ride.