Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

It would make sense that, if the Ratatouille ride comes with an attached restaurant, then that restaurant's kitchen will also be shared by another new restaurant/cafe that will take over the rest of the Costuming Building.

And if that's the case, it would be logical if this second restaurant was themed to either Toy Story or Cars. For example, if it had a Toy Story theme then Pizza Planet would be an obvious choice. And if it had a Cars theme, an updated version of the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater would be an obvious choice.

ed-uk

That sounds OK to me. As the park grows and people stay longer in the Studios hopefully Disney will need to build another restaurant and more shops in the future. I'm not sure that now is the time though. There are all those restaurants just around the corner in Disney Village.
Ed & David

SkySurfer

Quote from: "ed-uk"I'm not sure that now is the time though. There are all those restaurants just around the corner in Disney Village.
Yes! And don´t forget all those restaurants we have around the corner in Paris!  :-s

ed-uk

Paris is a bit further out though, like 40 minutes away by metro. I was talking about Disney Village which is just 5 minutes walk away from WDS to find a restaurant, which might be more convenient than Paris. Or there are restaurants in the Studios.
Ed & David

Anthony

Maybe SkySurfer was being sarcastic... Ideally you don't want people having to leave your theme park just to get something to eat, you ply them with all kinds of food at every turn and make as much money as possible.

It's a shame the tram tour route couldn't have been pushed a bit further back at the far end of the land and something around the size of Last Chance Cafe put into the back, between RC Racer and the blue monkey barrel tunnel. (A Brown Derby of the Toy Story world with seating underneath a giant Mr Potato Head hat please)

ed-uk

You don't have to leave the theme park to get something to eat. There's Studio 1, Restaurant of the Stars and BlockBuster Cafe. But I'm not against another restaurant in the park, a Brown Derby would be very nice. I just ment WDS is still a small park, half the size of Disneyland, and with more restaurants in Disney Village so close. But as WDS grows and more people come and stay longer in the park more restaurants and shops will be needed, I'm sure.
Ed & David

SkySurfer

Quote from: "Anthony"Maybe SkySurfer was being sarcastic...

Yes, I was. Thank you Anthony  :mrgreen:

Quote from: "ed-uk"You don't have to leave the theme park to get something to eat.

So I guess, you have never been inside the park, when it was really crowded. Otherwise you wouldn´t argue like this.

ed-uk

when we go to WDS we always eat in Restaurant of the Stars which works out fine for us busy or not. We usually eat early or late to avoid the queues. Last year we found we could book a table. And last summer Restaurant of the Stars was closing at 4pm if I remember right, I did question the wisdom of that, the park was busy and people were being turned away at the entrance. It was only open for lunch. They could  have the restaurant open longer and avoid building another one. Cafe des Cascadeurs used to be good, but how often is that open now? If the park closes at 6pm or 7pm people will go on to Disneyland Park, or Disney Village to eat or at their hotel. In the summer we often find Block Buster Cafe closed or half empty. People seem to prefer crowding into Studio 1. I'm not arqueing against having another restaurant in the Studios, as I have said, as the park gets more popular and stays open longer in the evening, I'm sure they will need another restaurant. At the moment I have to ask myself does TSPL really need a restaurant, even a small one. Until it does we could try all those restaurants we have round the corner in Calais.
Ed & David

ford prefect

Dlp.info pointed me in the direction of Themeparkreview

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... p?p=870485

It shows pictures of Buzz, some props and the soldiers.

I am quite looking forward to seeing this land!
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

never2old

In case you haven't seen it, Disney and More have a nice little article on TSPL (though all the pictures have already been posted here)

I have to say, I'm really looking forward to seeing this finished, particularly those toy soldiers!!

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Let´s never again compare DisneySEA to Walt Disney Studios Park... they are worlds apart. It´s like comparing good and bad.

The Butlin Boy

A couple of things to say here...

1. The concept art is looking good - it even answered my question on the queues that I posted the other day. I don't even mind the Buzz figure as much now; at first I would have prefered the Woody figure going to Hong Kong (we already have a Buzz in Discoveryland), but Buzz looks pretty impressive in these shots though. It seems that everything is shaping up to make an emmersive little area for the Studios :)

2. After my trip on Friday (not to the Studios, only to the Disneyland Park), I kept an eye on the area to see how much of an impact it had. Yes, I could see it from infront of the Studios/Disney Village, but to be honest, it's quite a nice filler between Studios 1 and 3. The only other time I saw the Toy Soldiers and RC were when I was at the top of BTMs second lift hill - I could not see it anywhere else in the park at all!

3. Here's a construction updat from Disneytheque - isn't it growing fast!? :wink:

:arrow: http://www.disneytheque.com/L__annee_de ... g_a63.html

Anthony

Oh look at all that colour. Despite being someone who listens to the Soarin' soundtrack on an almost daily basis and dreams of a Hollywood Boulevard longer than my front driveway, I can admit that Toy Story Playland is just what the park needs: Fun. Well, that and a dark ride - and hey, we're getting both.

I wonder when the fake track will be added to the orange slats on RC Racer?

penfold12

These latest pictures really fill me with hope for this expansion. It looks like quality theming. So comparing apples with apples, this themng should upgrade an off the shelf ride to a Disney attraction. Before I get shot down for that last point, let me clarify, I mean a c maybe d ticket attraction... But if it s done correctly, the area will actually continue with the increased theming that started with crush and race car rally, then on with ToT.

Anthony made reference to us "getting a dark ride" has this been confirmed for the studios yet?

One final thing that did make me smile, I was looking at a few  American sites, namely Theme Park Review, and on their forum, the majority consensus was asking why the US parks couldn't have this area, and that they would like it!! Their first introduction to it was these photos and the presence of John Lassiter, and their take was the opposite to the majority of people on here.

Totaly accept what has been said to date, totaly accept these are carnival rides with low capacity (which will be frustrating), but do you think maybe we all jumped up and down too soon??

My only other thought is that these types of attractions always look better in the sun... Weather in Paris will not be kind to these attractions...They are all kind of exposed, and I dont know about you, but for me that hinders the fully immersive feeling!

dagobert

Although I was always against this project, I have to admit that it looks really better than expected. At least some parts look already better than Chester and Hester's Dinorama in DAK at WDW. Nevertheless I still have issues with it, mainly with the ride capacity.