Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

I like that picture of Buzz in model form — that bamboo forest looks like something to explore. Which is a rare treat at the Studios, as we all know. Finally a little intimacy.

I'm also quite relieved to see it's genuine Pixar, American-style Christmas lights and all. It's a huge pile of glittering fluff built around a puff of air*, but at least it looks like it might be some nice fluff.

*That's the second metaphor I came up with, for the record. The first one wasn't as nice.

pussinboots

The first of the oversized-toy decorations: (from Disneygazette.fr)

CafeFantasia

Very similar (probably identical) to the oversized Tinkertoy parts in the Toy Story Mania queue over at Disney's Hollywood Studios:

JelleP

Looks cool! Finally they start to theme the attractions (I've been waiting for this a long time ;))
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

Donald-Duck-Malta

Hehe thanks guys 4 the help=) much appriciated=D

lil-shawn

QuoteBut beside all this not-exceptional themeing there are still three rides that a TokyoDisneyLand never would built. Because its not worth for a DisneyPark

Didn´t anyone told you that tokyo disney also have build carnival rides like this? if not look out for
the little mermaid land at disney sea here you will find it...
oh yea and befor i forget it look what they will built at the arabian coast!!
QuoteJasmine's Flying Carpets
Tokyo DisneySea New Attraction
Themed to the Disney film Aladdin, Jasmine's Flying Carpets is a ride attraction where guests can soar over Jasmine's garden on a flying carpet. Guests will be able to maneuver their vehicle up and down to a height of 5 meters, and tilt the vehicle forward and backward, as if flying their own magical carpet. This uplifting ride can be enjoyed by all, from young children to adults. Guests can also watch their friends and family on their flying carpet from an elevated viewing deck.
Opening date (tentative): Summer 2011
(next to Sindbad's Storybook Voyage)
Seating: 4 persons (2 persons in 2 rows) per vehicle
with a total of 16 vehicles
Total capital invested: Approximately 2 billion yen

ed-uk

This has  been one of my points, Disney have always built carnival (for lack of a better word ) style rides in their parks. They built them in the 1950's and they're still building them today. I think TSPL is starting to look very promising judging from pictures shown. It's the themeing of TSPL that will make it stand out from other theme parks. When it comes to imagineering and theme park design I still think Disney is the best. I thought they would come up with something very good with John Lasseter involved, if his success at Pixar is anything to go by.
Ed & David

DopeyDad

Is it policy for DLRP to not give away much in the way of theming, details of rides etc. It stikes me that a lot of fuming about Disney losing their way/capacity problems/poor theming etc, might have been avoided if more of the concept materials or publicity and information in general were given. Or would this diminish later publicity in some way?

DopeyDad

Or, maybe they enjoy poking the Internet community of course :)

ed-uk

I think DLP release details of themeing and rides when they're good and ready, for all sorts of reasons no doubt. I don't think they set out to poke the internet community. But I do think the internet community might be too quick to pass judgment on something,  and say it's not  Disney quality, especially if they have a low opinion of EuroDisney, which I do not.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

When you put lipstick on a pig, it is still a pig. The theming around the place will be a nice difference (like in Bugs land in DCA), but it still will not solve the capacity issues nor the fact these are still carni rides.

Yes, I will admit, I am a little happier now I have seen these shots, but the attractions themselves will still have monster waits, the will be horrible in the winter, and they can be experienced anywhere. What's the betting that if they are not installed in the begining, there will be barriers stopping people interacting with the props, like they did with Race Rally. Also, I have to laugh that I am probably one of the few DLP regulars that ever played with a slinky dog, lincoln logs, and tinker toys.

So in short, yes, I am midly surprised with the theming, but still mad this is the direction they have gone in. I am somewhat relieved John and WDI are making this happen, but Disney's batting average for attractions designed in this millenia is really poor.
since 2001 (many before that)

ed-uk

Aren't Disney allowed to build any Carni style rides in the future then, other than Flying Carpets or Flying Elephants and the usual Carousal? I'm not argueing for them, but Disney has always used carni style rides  in their theme parks. At least the rides in TSPL will be different for DLP. Disney have always had smaller rides a long side their bigger rides like TOT and Rock n Roller coaster.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "ed-uk"Aren't Disney allowed to build any Carni style rides in the future than, other than Flying Carpets or Flying Elephants and the usual Carousel?

Wish they hadn't been built either. Big difference is most of the stupid carni stuff had great attractions, restaurants and shops around them. Here the focus is on the carni stuff.

Not everything has to be an e-ticket, no. And even though I am not a fan of TSMM, that would still be preferrable.
since 2001 (many before that)

SkySurfer

Quote from: "lil-shawn"Didn´t anyone told you that tokyo disney also have build carnival rides like this?
I knew but maybe choose the wrong words!
This one dumbo style - ride at Tokyo is no comparison to a complete theme-area where steel grows in the the air everywhere. Some probs more or less won´t chance this!!!! Its a shame for a Disney - Theme - Park

smurfy74

went with my mum this week and she said she loved the studios but really wanted a nice place to sit and have a cup of coffee and cake ( she went to the cable car and liked it in there ) and she was surprised that they werent building any eateries in the new land