Rock 'n' Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith - new light show!

Started by RnRCj, May 21, 2008, 08:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QTXAdsy

:-s
Strange, I had a dream last night that someone would put up a RNRC checklist...

Here Come The Belgians!

RnRCj

I'm back and have my RnRC report ready!

First of all, I'd just like to say................ SMOOOOKE!!! :mrgreen:

Yes, the smoke was working, and it reminded how much it adds to the experience. It really made the lightshow looks great. Late afternoon on Wednesday there was loads of it - perhaps even as much as 2002! It was fantastic! Unfortunately there wasn't as much on Thursday and Friday, but still enough to make the beams of lights really clear.

There was something else that surprised me even more than the smoke though... for the first time in years, EVERY effect in the load, launch, and unload areas were working!!! Loads of lights have been replaced, and it looks fabulous! The swirling lights on the walls, the Aerosmith logo flying across the rooms, the flickering queue lights... everything! It was all synchronised perfectly too. Even the tiny details like how the lights gradually focus in on the Soundtrackers as it waits in the station were working. Okay, there was one effect not working (the warning lights as the train moves round to the launch area), but just one effect being broken does not bother me. I think I may be more pleased about this than the smoke, as I was worried these effects may not be fixed during the refurb!

The main lightshow was actually in a surprisingly good condition, despite a lot of lights still being out. Maybe it was just the smoke that made it look good, but it seemed as if a load of lights have already been replaced. There were still a few "dead" areas where not much was happening (the first mid-course brake run in particular). But in other areas it looked as if every light was working (between the sea serpent roll and first mid-coure brake run). I did notice that the Red and Multicolour lightshows were noticably better than the others though.

One disappointing thing was the state of the queue line. There were lots of things needing a lick of paint. And one of the giant guitar strings in the entrance lobby was snapped and hanging down.

But overall, I was very impressed by RnRC this visit. The completely-functioning load and launch area was a very nice surprise. :)

Here's the checklist I posted earlier, with lots of unexpected greens!

RnRCj's Rock 'n' Roller Coaster effects checklist

-- light patterns on wall between load/unload as train enters station
-- light patterns on wall as train leaves station
-- swirling lights on floor in station
-- pulsing coloured lights on queue line wall
-- Tour De Force logo projection
-- flickering lights on queue line wall as train leaves station
-- Aerosmith logo flying across the room as train leaves station
-- swirling lights following train round to launch area

-- warning lights in lighting rigs as train moves round to launch area (the only effect not working in the load/launch area!)
-- sweeping floor lights as train prepares to launch
-- flickering queue lights/wall lights as train prepares to launch
-- LCD countdown screen
-- warning lights above launch tunnel
-- chasing lights in launch tunnel
-- smoke machines
(loads on Wedneday 2nd September, not so much on Thursday and Friday)
-- main lightshow: moving lights (loads of lights were fixed, but about half were still out)
-- main lightshow: still lights
-- main lightshow: strobes
-- main lightshow: flashing lights on hoops
-- wall lights in brake tunnel

-- flashing light at end of brake tunnel
(appeared to be on but wasn't flashing)
-- flickering lights on ceiling of brake tunnel
-- flickering lights as train enters unload
-- lights changing colour in Rock Around the Shop

-- Green/Yellow Soundtracker audio (was working but waaay too quiet)
-- Pink Soundtracker audio
-- Multicolour Soundtracker audio (very loud - the harmonica sound effect could be heard at the end!)
-- Red Soundtracker audio
-- Blue Soundtracker audio (music was loud but crackling)
-- flickering lights on billboard
-- neon lights on billboard (a few were broken)
-- Studio B sounds
-- lights behind Tour de Force logo
-- lights behind guitars

bigrossco

great to read quite a bit of the features are fixed on RnRRC just a shame about the ones that are still broken
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

giorgio1712

Have to agree with you RnRCj, it was looking great! We got back yesterday, rode it about 12-15 times in 5 days its just so good every time!

Weird thing that I've never seen before, but Im sure you have, was the launch didnt happen when it got to 1, but about 4 seconds later, a suprise to many!  :lol:

RnRCj

^yes that happens from time to time. I still have no idea what causes it. Just a slight technical failure I presume. I saw it happen a couple of times over the last few days.

dagobert

This happened to us once, too, and I loved it.I t made the launch much more intense, because you didn't know when you are launched.

giorgio1712

Also RnRCj, your websites awesome. Me and my brother were in the queue and heard a song we liked but didn't know the name. I said I think I know where we can find it, went on your site, looked through the area music section and there it was, Music: Response by the Chemical Brothers, so big thumbs up for the website.

RnRCj

^Thanks! I just needed a place to store all my Rock 'n' Roller Coaster information and thought it would be nice create a quick website so others could see it too. :D

I'd really like to include more photos on the site, but unfortunately I haven't taken any good ones myself. I must get a better camera!

RnRCj

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is officially open again after the 11 day refurbishment! :mrgreen:

If anyone is going soon, be sure to check it out and let me know how it was!

I'm interested to know how many lights were working the main lightshow, how much smoke there was (they need at least three smoke machines working to give the best experience), and if the queue line has been repainted.

andrewuk

On my last ride we were in the rear soundtracker but had Love in An Elevator :D/  and Walk This Way :D/ , which I thought was the music for soundtracker 3 :? . Can anyone explain this?
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

RnRCj

Quote from: "andrewuk"On my last ride we were in the rear soundtracker but had Love in An Elevator :D/  and Walk This Way :D/ , which I thought was the music for soundtracker 3 :? . Can anyone explain this?
That would be because it's not each car that has it's own soundtrack, it's each train! The whole train is known as a "Soundtracker", not the individual cars. :wink:  There are five Soundtrackers and number 3 does play Love In An Elevator and Walk This Way, as you said.

About the refurbishmEnt now, I've just been reading the RnRC topic over at Disney Central Plaza and rather dissapointingly the first post-refurb reports are not great. They say that the queue line has been painted and the giant guitar neck has been repaired, which is good. BUT the lightshow hasn't seen any significant improvement. They're also saying the onboard music is not of great quality, and the smoke machines aren't working at all! :cry:

But all hope is not lost, because I know for sure that they can replace lights in the main lightshow overnight (they've done it before - they have a special crane for doing so). Maybe the closure was to repaint the queue, and they'll be doing the main lightshow over the next few weeks? I don't know, but I sincerely hope so. It's seems rather odd closing the attraction for 11 days and not even attempting to repair the lightshow.

Then again, maybe the members over there haven't been on it enough times to notice any differences. Hopefully someone with a bit of knowledge of the lightshow will ride it soon and let us know how it was.

QTXAdsy

:shock:  
Is that what they did in this 'refurb'????

For some reason I had a sneaky feeling that the refurb would be a disappointment...

Here Come The Belgians!

andrewuk

Quote from: "RnRCj"
Quote from: "andrewuk"On my last ride we were in the rear soundtracker but had Love in An Elevator :D/  and Walk This Way :D/ , which I thought was the music for soundtracker 3 :? . Can anyone explain this?
That would be because it's not each car that has it's own soundtrack, it's each train! The whole train is known as a "Soundtracker", not the individual cars. :wink:  There are five Soundtrackers and number 3 does play Love In An Elevator and Walk This Way, as you said.

Thanks, I never knew that! As those are my two favourite Aerosmith songs I got lucky!
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

RnRCj

Members at DCP are now saying that the main lightshow has actually been repaired, but there is still a lack of smoke.

What happened to the days when the ride would immediately go 101 if there was no smoke? I mean, it's pointless repairing the lightshow if they're not going to have the smoke to make it look great!

In other news, the control tower has been redone and is now completely enclosed:

(photos by dlrp team at DCP)

I don't really see what difference it will make, but it looks fine.

mehdi5

The new booth looks great, i'm glad they didn't cover it up completely, i always enjoyed watching the screens etc while waiting.