Toon Studio placemaking

Started by Anthony, March 14, 2005, 12:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Yeah, that's why I took that photo!  It's clear they want to isolate the Studios from DLP.

Anthony

Quote from: "raptor1982"Yeah, that's why I took that photo!  It's clear they want to isolate the Studios from DLP.
Let's hope they do the same looking from DLP to WDS then!  They desperately need to raise the Frontierland berm, it's awful going past the geysers on the riverboat now. :(

Kristof

Here's a scale model from the coaster part of Crush's Turtle Twister:

http://www.parkothek.info/photos/29/59.jpg

Source: dcp

RnRCj

I'm glad it's a wild mouse twister coaster. Those ones that just zig zag in straight lines are quite boring.

Daniel

This roller coaster does look very impressive, i am looking forward to it more each day. :D

flor

Does anyone know if it will have Fast Pass?

Kristof

No, it seems fastpass won't be included for Crush!

Anthony

I guess it would only make the queues worse - each train can hold 4 people and they can only have about 6 on the track at once... 24 people on the ride at once!!  Not exactly Pirates of the Caribbean throughput, is it?

People are getting worried about the capacity of DL's subs, but Turtle Twister seems far far worse to me.  It looks like it'll be a fun ride, but it seems so badly Imagineered from a capacity point of view.  A ride with potentially the same popularity as Big Thunder Mountain yet with less than 1/4 the capacity... ouch.

Edit: Then again, maybe it's well Imagineered for the park.  It's sure to have Peter Pan's Flight-style queues where it reaches 120mins and doesn't move for the rest of the day, and if people are in a queue then they're spending longer in the park, right?  The small size of the queue line on the leaked plans was a bit weird though...

The Butlin Boy

QuoteI guess it would only make the queues worse - each train can hold 4 people and they can only have about 6 on the track at once... 24 people on the ride at once!!

Well actually, on the model there are 8 cars on the track (not including the spare one) and Crush has got the extended dark ride track and the part that goes outside. So it can probably hold about 10 cars which is 40 people at a time! :D

Anthony

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"Well actually, on the model there are 8 cars on the track (not including the spare one) and Crush has got the extended dark ride track and the part that goes outside. So it can probably hold about 10 cars which is 40 people at a time! :D
That's still only 2 POTC boats!  And they'd have to operate it really well to get that number of trains in such a small space - smooth loading, well timed.

You made a good point about the dark ride section though.  I did kinda add that into my estimates before, but it will be interesting to see how much extra capacity that really adds.

The Butlin Boy

Kristof

From http://www.wdsfans.com  8)

Quote from: "WDSfans"When the managment announced Toon Studios last year, a particular concept art was accompanied by this announcement.  
It showed next to Crush's Turtle Twister, a Bugs Life attraction in an area themed with huge clovers (the same as at Disney California Adventure).
All that was dropped in favour of a Cars attraction and its Radiator Springs theme.

Now word has reached us that certain Toon Studios plans mention a few clovers afteral!  They are supposed to accompany Mickey's meet 'n greet trailer that will be re-located all the way in the back of Toon Studios.  
This area would be stuffed with greenery and props from the Toons's Greenery Department.

Unfortunately, we have no confirmation wether these plans are still a GO, since rumours are lately popping up about a whole "street" dedicated to Meet 'n Greet locations.

The Butlin Boy

Lots more track has been installed over the past few days:

http://www.dlrp.fr/actularge.php?id=575

Kristof

Interesting to know...

QuoteNext year Toon Studios will open its doors at the Walt Disney Studios Park under the direction of veteran imagineer Corey Sewelson (who was responsible for the original Tower of Terror and Condor Flats/Hollywood Pictures Backlot at Disney's California Adventure park). This project completes the toon cycle for Corey as he has also worked on Toontown at Tokyo Disneyland where the animated characters live and Toon Studios is where they actually go to work! One of the attractions is a spinning coaster called Crush's Turtle Twister (from Finding Nemo) which will have slower dark-ride show scenes within the building. A second will be similar to Francis' Ladybug Boogie (at DCA) and will be Cars themed (Radiator Springs to be exact). The ride name is still in limbo. Tales from the Laughing Place readers can expect to see an interview with Corey and artwork in an issue later this year.
From Laughingplace

Anthony

It's nice to know who's working on Toon Studios, and his CV seems pretty good to me.  Hollywood Pictures Backlot aside, he's done some good work!  :wink: Does anyone get the Laughing Place magazine?  I'd love to see the interview and artwork when its published.  I noticed they did an article on CinéMagique recently too.

The rumours of a "greenery" section for Toon Studios sound really cool - I'd definately like the Studios to get more areas like this that a real, working studio would have.  They should actually have a walk-through costume exhibition, but I suppose that's something for Imagineering.

What's this about a "meet n greets street"?  I haven't heard these rumours anywhere - could this be for the area behind Art of Disney?  Would it necessarily be good to have all the meet 'n' greets together in one place?  If there's no characters around then it'll be like a ghost town!