Jack Sparrow to join Pirates of the Caribbean? (Rumour)

Started by dagobert, May 07, 2011, 10:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

I must admit I've never been sure whether the Paris version is meant to include time travel. Wasn't that just a conceit to explain the drop under the railroad tracks at the other resorts? I thought it was boasted that the redesign allowed them to rearrange the story correctly in chronological order.

In Paris it seems perfectly plausible that you begin in a calm lagoon only to encounter a pirate attack at the top of the lift hill. The only slight jump in time comes at the end, when you see the pirates get their comeuppance as skeletons. Having Jack Sparrow as the lone surviving pirate from the attack there might be quite witty and true to the character. We can presume that he was being held in the town's jail, escaped with the blast and ended up securing the pirates' treasure for himself.

davewasbaloo

He will also most likely speak French (unless they do a Madame Leota on him?)
since 2001 (many before that)

Vegitabeta

I do love seeing Jack and co. in POTC in WDW, and the Davy Jones effect is awesome.  I kinda like the fact of Paris' POTC being Mr. Sparrow free, simply so we still have an original ride to ride.  Like everyone has pointed out, there are a lot of things in there which need tweaking first before new AAs go in and put all the others to shame!  That poor pirate with the hats who is stuck between two boats, I don't remember the last time I saw him working.  Feb '10 he was bent over and not moving every time I rode, and back in Dec, he was upright, sans hats, and not moving again!  The swinging pirate has been mentioned.  The captain with the lovely plaits in his beard (bless him), had his head turned almost backwards the last twice I rode, and a few other things which I can't remember which need some TLC.  So yes, bring Jack in, I'm sure Europe will love it, but give all the other pirates a makeover too, they deserve it!

Martyn

I'd LOVE to see a Davy Jones animatronic at the top of the lift, where it gets real dark, just before the first drop. To see that squid face thing standing in the shadows would look great!

spicy

^ The waterfall with Davy Jone's face projected onto it would look awesome there too, maybe thats where its going as it can't go in the caves at the end.

Josh

I can't remember how the effect works. Is it smoke that's falling down, or is it a waterfall that switches off before you go under it?
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Vegitabeta

It's basically heavy mist I think, like the mist screens in Fantasmic.

CafeFantasia

It's not water because your boat actually travels through it while it's turned on. It's a curtain of mist. It's actually a really beautiful effect, and will be so cool to finally get in Paris. Placed strategically near the bottom of the main lift, you won't be able to see the boat in front of yours going through it, which would actually be an improvement over the American versions.

[youtube:2qzqk71s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnqbppvweuo&feature=related[/youtube:2qzqk71s]

DGRavenswood

Adding Jack Sparrow AAs is one thing, but I'm not a huge fan of the mist screen projection in POTC. IMO it just doesn't fit with the rest of the attraction, style-wise... in fact it took me completely out of the ride.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

JoefromSingapore

Does anyone know how long it took for the enhancements to be made? Was it weeks or months?

I wonder when this would likely close for the changes?!  :?
That weird host on Dedicated to Disneyland Paris PODCAST!

CafeFantasia

Good question. That information must be out there somewhere online. From memory, I have a feeling it was 3-6 months.

Martyn

Quote from: "DGRavenswood"Adding Jack Sparrow AAs is one thing, but I'm not a huge fan of the mist screen projection in POTC. IMO it just doesn't fit with the rest of the attraction, style-wise... in fact it took me completely out of the ride.

I agree. It looks too hi-tech for Pirates really. Nothing wrong with a good old animatronic ;)

CafeFantasia

But you know, if the desired effect is to have a ghostly pirate appear in front of you, on what appears to be water, how else could they do that? How could they do that without you saying it looks high-tech? Are you saying that you wish they didn't add the effect to the ride at all?

In my opinion, it only really looks high-tech because it's something we haven't seen before. It's a pretty futuristic technology. It's something we're not used to, yet. But if you think about it, there's nothing computer-y or futuristic or even mechanical about the style of the effect. It looks very organic and magical.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Alan"But you know, if the desired effect is to have a ghostly pirate appear in front of you, on what appears to be water, how else could they do that? How could they do that without you saying it looks high-tech? Are you saying that you wish they didn't add the effect to the ride at all?

In my opinion, it only really looks high-tech because it's something we haven't seen before. It's a pretty futuristic technology. It's something we're not used to, yet. But if you think about it, there's nothing computer-y or futuristic or even mechanical about the style of the effect. It looks very organic and magical.

It feels "off" because it's photo-realistic; a bit of modern-age CGI Uncanny Valley in a world of old timey cartoon pirates. I'm not sure how they could fix that, other than perhaps with the world's most complicated Pepper's Ghost effect, but I agree that it is jarring.

CafeFantasia

So if they projected an animatronic rubbery version of Davy Jones onto the mist screen, rather than using the CGI version, you'd prefer that?