people judging

Started by jackieann, October 09, 2010, 01:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackieann

Hi all

Not sure where i should post this, but wonder if other people get the same things with their friends.

My family and i have been to DLP every year since 2006 and my friends think i am mad, they say oh i would rather sit on a beach for a week and i kinda feel they are judging me (which really annoys me) my thing is i dont like beach holidays i find them boring but i dont go on at them about going on their sort of holidays every year.  and then they moan about oh its expensive, but its not really when you cost up places like alton towers its just as bad, maybe a little cheaper but i know i would rather spend a little more and go DLP.

Does anyone else have this???

nicoledlrp

i know the feeling ! it really annoys me when people ask if we are going on holiday, enquire where to, then either say that they have been to the "real" disney or that their kids would love to go but they cant afford it because they are going back to tenerife for the twentieth time. and of course heaven help you if they find out that you are "return" guests. it is like you are some sort of crazed mass murderer!! "dont you get fed up ? - no i only get fed up when im not in disney. dont you think it is spoiling your children ?- no we actually go to disney for ourselves and have to bring the kids with us ! wouldnt you rather go to the algarve? - no, no offence to any other nation but i have tried the beach thing once and without the various bus trips i would have gone nuts. im not a great sunworshipper anyway and after june in disney this year i will be scoring that month off for future trips!! dont you fancy a real holiday to the afore mentioned "real" disney or cant you afford that ? -  this is a real holiday and every disney is real  and have you seen the latest prices! wouldnt you rather see some interesting places ? what ? you mean like another bar or someone elses overly tanned body hanging out of their undersized swim wear ? give me half a chance from your stupid questions and i could tell you about how we try when possible to make the most of our journeys and about paris and versailles , brugge , haarlem and delft and gouda , every war cemetery on the western front and the last post ceremony at the menin gate and all the lovely places we have found because we didnt follow the satnav.we tend to follow our hearts not the rest of the bleating sheep in the field ." i often wonder what we would be doing or how big the bank balance would be if we had never discovered disney. one neighbour with two young children sneers at people who dont do the "two weeks in benidorm every year" thing and another had a great time in turkey because she hardly saw her kids. i know that everyone is different but i would rather have a fantasic time with my family than enjoy a holiday because i didnt have to stay sober for long enough to notice if they were dead or alive for a fortnight. we have done other holidays over the years (canaries once, alton towers, europa parc, portaventura, asterix,efteling, centre parks,touring in britain and europe) but i always seem to spend time on the holiday planning the next trip home to disney ! in my opinion those who judge or are critical have either never experienced the magic or are unfortunate not to possess the "x gene" that make us disney family rather than theme park visitors !!

jackieann

thats the thing the people that seem to snear at me but yet they go to the same place and the same resort every year so i dont see the difference anyway, and like you say i would rather have MY children with ME after all they are MY children so i want to experience things with them and not them with strangers.  there is nothing better than seeing the faces they are almost 5 and 3 when we arrive at disney  (its me to not just the kids) my hubby moans but he loves it to i know he does lol!!  

i cant wait to book our next trip and i just feel people that haven't been don't know hat their missing!!

loladelorean

Good posts! As a 22 year old with no kids, I definitely get judged for my repeat trips to DLP - even by my own boyfriend who I live with and who just "doesn't get it"! He's stopped caring now though, and just tunes me out I think. He's even agreed to come next year for my graduation present - he may be persuaded yet!
I have to defend DLP against accusations that it's just for kids (usually to coworkers), that its nothing but a marketing ploy (usually to fellow students at uni, groan), that its not as good as Florida (to anyone whos either only been to Florida or never been to Disney at all).
I'm lucky that I have my mum and sister to enjoy planning and visiting DLP with, and a few friends who are jealous and who I might be able to go with in the future. And of course, internet forums full of like minded people!
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

jackieann

its so not just for kids!! I dont know what i will do when the turn to me and say they dont want to go anymore, i do hope they dont tho!  saying that i guess me and my hubby would have a great time just taking it all in on our own!!

RockNRoller

I know what you mean, at 43 and 35 my wife and I have no children and whenever we announce we are going again we get the same response "What again? Didnt you see enough of it last time", I cant stand beach holidays, if Ive paid to go somewhere new I want to see it not just lie around. Ive tried to convince my family by showing them photo's and video's but to no avail. What I dont get is after every holiday theyve had my sister and brother in law find something to complain about, my parents have even stopped going on holiday because of bad experiences but every year we come back from DLRP with huge grins having had another fantastic time with no complaints. Fortunately we have found some travelling companions who on the train back after their first visit last year said "Are you going again? Can we come?" and they are, much to the distress of of their family I have to add. Yep thats right to anyone out there who knows me we've corrupted the vicar.  :lol:
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

loladelorean

Quote from: "jackieann"its so not just for kids!! I dont know what i will do when the turn to me and say they dont want to go anymore, i do hope they dont tho!  saying that i guess me and my hubby would have a great time just taking it all in on our own!!

They probably never will! My mum first took us when we were aged 6 and 1, and it's still where we want to go this year aged 22 and 17 ha ha. She's glad that when it comes to Disney, we never grew up.
Conversely, I'm starting to look forward to having kids of my own to take to DLP - not for a while yet, mind!
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "jackieann"its so not just for kids!! I dont know what i will do when the turn to me and say they dont want to go anymore, i do hope they dont tho!  saying that i guess me and my hubby would have a great time just taking it all in on our own!!

This used to be easier to defend, but given the direction of travel over the last 5 years, it has been harder and harder to defend. But yep, we used to go far more before we had children, one year we made 10 trips from the UK. Though we used to go dancing and listening to all the live music in village, those days are long gone.
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "loladelorean"

They probably never will! My mum first took us when we were aged 6 and 1, and it's still where we want to go this year aged 22 and 17 ha ha. She's glad that when it comes to Disney, we never grew up.
Conversely, I'm starting to look forward to having kids of my own to take to DLP - not for a while yet, mind!

I don't know. Mine are 5 and 7, and they are not as keen anymore. We had to convince my 5 year old to leave the villa to go to DLP on her birthday earlier this year. And they are asking if we can go other places instead. Maybe we have taken them too much. My five year old has been to:

DLP 12 times
WDW for 10 days
Disneyland in California for 6 days
since 2001 (many before that)

loladelorean

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "loladelorean"

I don't know. Mine are 5 and 7, and they are not as keen anymore. We had to convince my 5 year old to leave the villa to go to DLP on her birthday earlier this year. And they are asking if we can go other places instead. Maybe we have taken them too much. My five year old has been to:

DLP 12 times
WDW for 10 days
Disneyland in California for 6 days

Well, everyone is different, your kids are very lucky :) I suppose for us, Disney trips have always been special, being saved up for and looked forward to for a long time (you can see my history of visits in my signature, very few compared to yourself)
So maybe that's why we still feel that way now.
Disney Visits

never2old

My friends no longer say anything, and my colleagues assume eveytime I have time off I'm going to Disneyland (which usually I am  ;) ). Sometimes people still ask me if I never get tired, but that's all... In fact, I find that everyone who's been to Disneyland before would quite like to go again, and many do seem to go regularly. Maybe because they know I'm a bit mad on Disney they find they can confess that they quite like it too... And everyone who's ever come to visit with me has come out in love with the place!

I had to work this morning, and while one guy was telling me he'd just book for 1 night in the New York in October, another one confessed he'd stop for lunch in Annette's last week, on his way back from Paris...

I don't care if people think I'm mad, I love Disney and I'm proud of it!!

lauramumof3

dont think anyone has been very negative but they often comment on how much it costs.
But we all love it, i went in 2002 when i first started to see my husband and he couldnt understand why id want to go, then when we had children i persuaded him when the eldest was 3 and he absolutly loved it!
and ive been loads of times and i never ever get board and theres still things i havent seen!
Been to DLP many times when I was little and now with my own children. First time 1992 and th last time was 2012! Going in  November 2017, so exited cant wait :-)

SwipatronSparks

haha yeah i get judged all the time, but my responce is simple and to the point, i genreally get asked if why i dont go on a beach holiday the conversation generally goes like this...

'are you not bored of it yet' then i get weird looks when i say 'are you not bored of going to a hot boring beach for a week' it doesnt make sense to me anymore to go and turn myself into a beached whale for a week or so when i know i would have twice as much fun if not more by going to disneyland for 5 days...XD
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

lynny

I know the feeling people always when i announce i'm going to DLRP say....what again!
We go once a year as i like beach holidays to and also always like to go to london to see a show once a year.So its london around easter,beach holiday in summer and then DLRP either halloween or christmas :D

my oldest is 17 and loves it,my youngest is 9.......my family dont react now when i say i'm off to disney they just know its going to happen.This year my daughters B/F is coming he's 19 and never been b4 and he's more excited than us.lol :)
HOTEL CHEYANNE JUNE 2000
HOTEL NEW YORK HALLOWEEN 2006
HOTEL NEW YORK HALLOWEEN 2007
HOTEL NEW YORK EMPIRE STATE CLUB CHRISTMAS 2008
HOTEL NEW YORK EMPIRE STATE CLUB HALLOWEEN 2009
HOTEL NEW YORK EMPIRE STATE CLUB HALLOWEEN 2010
HOTEL NEW YORK LAKE VIEW HALLOWEEN 2011
HOTEL NEW YORK UPGRADED TO LAKE VIEW MAY 2013

Clara2141

Our visit next month is the 3rd time we've been in 18 months and we are starting to get judged. However, we too have never been beach holiday people - unless that beach is deserted. I'm not a package holiday to Majorca kind of girl.

We go on two holidays a year - this year DLP twice. Next year New York and then Disney again most probably. I like doing things and feeling I got my monies worth and I do with DLP. I always go off peak - this year in Feb and November and stay at the Cheyenne or Santa Fe which normally costs us £150 or less each for 3 days/2nights and then £70 each for a Eurostar return. It would cost us more to go to Edinburgh. I like that DLP all my entertainment is there for me, yes food is costly but I factor that in and yes the weather is cold but that means a lot less getting hot and bothered!

I love my trips, I haven't got bored so far.  :)
Sequoia Lodge - July 1997
Santa Fe - July 2001
Day Trip - Sept 2009
Cheyenne - Feb 2010

Santa Fe - Nov 2010
Santa Fe - Feb 2011

I\'ve imagined being here like this so many times before, reaching out to take your hand as the butterflies in me soar