Disney Magical Moments Festival (From April 2011)

Started by Kristof, September 01, 2010, 09:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlrpkris

I agree Peter. The park is so beautiful in its purest form, but it simply doesn't sell the overall experience I guess.

A while back I put some really generic visuals together to see if DLP could make an advert on a budget, but have some heart too. Not all the graphics etc. I guess this is what I came up with:
[youtube:30rlc68y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsscavT0H70[/youtube:30rlc68y]

Personally I really like the qualities of the American commercials. The same sharing of family joy, just with a little more shine/professionalism. Doesn't all have to be expensive
[youtube:30rlc68y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_T1tWnr46E[/youtube:30rlc68y]
"Life\'s a happy game, you could clown around forever - \'cos we\'re the best of friends"
It\'s time to bring down the house - welcome Mickey Mouse!

peter

Quote from: "dlrpkris"I agree Peter. The park is so beautiful in its purest form, but it simply doesn't sell the overall experience I guess.

A while back I put some really generic visuals together to see if DLP could make an advert on a budget, but have some heart too. Not all the graphics etc. I guess this is what I came up with:
[youtube:9olgl64v]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsscavT0H70[/youtube:9olgl64v]

that's really a good style, show characters with children, characters with families ON the rides. show how great it is to visit dlp

dagobert

Disney And More has posted an article about the Magical Moments Festival:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/ ... isney.html

To sum it up: In 2011 Disneyland Paris will become Photolocationland Paris and Meet-and-Greet Studios Paris.  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

At least it is just for one year and hopefully DLRP will come up with something better for the 20th birthday, but I highly doubt it and I'm sure these meet and greets and photolocations will stay for the 20th birthday as well.

davewasbaloo

Some other interesting things in this article. THe Peter Pan shot would have been traditionally been shot in front of the pirate ship and skull rock. Sadly the ship is rotting away in a disgusting state. It was scheduled for maintenance earlier this month, but as of today, there is still no sign of that starting. Many of us are angry they are spending their money on things like this promo and Toy story Playland instead of sorting the park refurbs (though the Castle has finally started, 3 years later than we were informed it would start).

We would rather have them sort these than more meet, and greet, and grope experiences (e.g. turning the wonderful It's a Small World post show into a Princess Meet and Greet.

Now onto the offerings. This new hub show will be new, but is simply an update of the hub shows that have been running for the last 3 years. Shows which get many complaints of pushing and shoving. And in the meantime, the 4 purpose built theatres, 3 of them indoors (which is a god send with European weather) have sat empty. There is a light, in that Tarzan, the 10 year old show (though it is amazing, and one of my fav shows to grace a Disney stage) is rumoured to return this summer after casting for it. However, at the same time, they are ripping out all the benches in front of the castle stage, a scene of meet and greets for the last few years (yet in the early years had one of the coolest shows using a magic pop up book - also played host to Gloria Estephan, the Gypsy Kings, Four Tops and Four Seasons together, Angela Lansbury and many more).

Now with the Disney Princesses, a Royal Invitation, it will be interesting to see what happens here. The aforementioned Castle Stage has been used for Princess meet and greets for a few years now. The reason they can call this new is they have turfed out the delightful it's a small world post show that highlighted hologram animation of children in different country costumes singing IASM to each other. It was delightful. Now with the attraction no longer being sponsored by France Telecom, it made sense to close the post show in Spring of 2010(though I shall miss it, as do my children). and the plan was to relocate the princesses to a newly decorated environment - although thematically a little dodgy (though no where near as bad as them being on the Adventureland Verranda in the MK), at least it is indoors and heated/aced. But when the announcement came that WDW Fantasyland Expansion would have a princess meet and greet, the rumour mill suggested that this feature will be delayed in Paris so they could be built at the same time. It will be interesting to see what happens. And no matter what, I can bet there will be longer lines for this than IASW next door :-(

4 - The Wonderful World of Alice and The Mad Hatter

Now this one I find particularly sad. for those unfamiliar with DLP, in Fantasyland, we have an Alice miniland that is more ornate than any of the other parks. There is a wonderful organic Labrynth with special effects, then a large throne in an arbour with a tea pot topiary in front of it. That faces the Mad Hatter's Unbirthday Cake Cottage (or whatever they call it these days - it used to be a wonderful venue where you could buy different flavour unbirthday cakes and decorate them your self - last time I looked, they sold potaoe chips and the same muffins you can buy everywhere across the park). Next to that is a long table with different chairs and a large teapot with the door mouse in it (like the one in the middle of the Mad Hatter Tea Cups at WDW). Then there are the tea cups themselves.

Back in the glory days of DLP, you would often find Alice, White Rabbit, The Queen of Hearts et all playing games and posing for photos in this area without any need for marketing. Those moments disappeared (like the Dapper Dans before them) well over a decade ago. I suppose I should be happy for the return, but at the same time it is a disappointment.

5 - Adventureland Rhythms of the Jungle will be in the spot where the african Tam Tams used to play. It will be interesting to see if they still do. Last year, these African Drummers moved over to Videopolis in Discoveryland to try to compensate for the fact the Lion King Show was no longer on. Now don't get me wrong, I love the TamTams, they are one of my favorite "attractions" at DLP. But what are African drummers in traditional dress doing in Discoveryland rather than Adventureland, one that has an almost Animal Kingdom Harambe quality to it with a large African themed section?

6 - Moteurs... Action ! Stunt Show Spectacular featuring Lightning McQueen!

Now this one has conjured a lot of interest. People are wondering whether Lighting McQueen will replace the Herbie segment, and how they will weave it in given Herbie is designed to show how car stunts are filmed and McQueen is animated. But this was brought to you by the same idiotic management team that thought putting Mickey and the Gang in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show (up to that point an almost perfect preproduction of the show that William cody brought to Paris over 100 years ago).

also the other big question is whether the big jumps will return. After an accident last year, the show has been running without the jumps, and many return guests are asking "why bother". After all, we lost the jet skis in year 2 due to an accident. I am reticent to waste an hour if the show is only 40% of what it used to be.

Number 7 - meeting Rapunzel and Flynn might be interesting (shame the Flynn is not of the TRON variety though ;-)

9 - Green Army Men Meet & Play

Now this is quite cool. And definately welcome. After all, most kids are too short to ride RC Racer, and if you get there and don't want to stand in 60-90 minute carnival rides you can wait 10 minutes for in other parks, this gives something that will add to the experience. And that gets a huge thumbs up from me.

10 - Smile and say "Cheese" with Remy and Emile

What is interesting about this one is they are planned to be in front of the restaurant where you can meet the to scale Remy. It would have made better sense to place them in the PArisian street that was created in front of Toy Story Playland, unless of course they are going to start construction on the rumoured Ratatouille attraction that has had earth cleared, and strutural elements seen, but has not gone verticle or been announced officially.

11 and 12 are not new at all, but a useful reminder to newbies I suppose.

13 - Share the love with Wall-E and Eve!

Now this was installed last year, and is very cool at night, I like this one. And it is on theme too!

14 - Disney Dance Express

Ok, I really hate this thing now. It was introduced for the 15th anniversary reusing a 15 year old parade float to have a mini parade (set to a TDL annoying parade song, dubbed into high pitched french akin to justin beiber and finger nails scraping on a chalk board). It takes a shed load of characters down to the hub for meet and greets. sounds great? Well the trade of is the Main Street Vehicles hardly run anymore (forget seeing the horsedrawn street car, maybe during EMH if you are lucky). and lots of pushing and shoving and tears to be had at the hub as everyone charges for the character (yet when they just appear in the lands it does not seem as bad).

Now, personally, I would rather they did not bother, and simply restored the pirate ship, the castle and some of the streetmousephere that has been lacking. But I guess this is a relatively inexpensive way for them to plug something.

But to me, this is clearly much ado about nothing, and similar to every other lame character led campaign since the 15th anniversary. Now what will be interesting is to see if anything happens for next year's 20th - though they are cutting it fine if they were going to develop a new attraction.

Any one heard anything?

We will be in DLP in the 2nd week of this new celebration, if anyone is interested in us covering it. Though with anger I seem to conjure in the fan community, I do not want to waste my time if it is not of interest.
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"We will be in DLP in the 2nd week of this new celebration, if anyone is interested in us covering it. Though with anger I seem to conjure in the fan community, I do not want to waste my time if it is not of interest.

Don't waste your time with that stuff, there are better things to do. I'm sure you are going to do a trip report, maybe you can cover some things.

Festival Disney

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"After all, we lost the jet skis in year 2 due to an accident. I am reticent to waste an hour if the show is only 40% of what it used to be.

:offtopic:  I've always wondered why there are no jet skis in our Moteurs... Action! It must have been quite a bad accident in order to get them removed from the show?!  :(
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

peter

what happened?

Anthony

Quote from: "Festival Disney":offtopic:  I've always wondered why there are no jet skis in our Moteurs... Action! It must have been quite a bad accident in order to get them removed from the show?!  :(
I think it was more to do with the final jump than an accident on the jet skis. They added a "temporary" bridge (photo) under the final jump, just in case the hero car doesn't make it across the water. Unfortunately, this meant the jet skis obviously couldn't zip up and down the canal any more. I know at WDW the bridge can go up and down in the water to allow the jet skis to pass (it only raises the finale)... Maybe the Paris one does now as well, but they've never bothered bringing the jet skis back anyway.

If Lightning McQueen simply replaces Herbie as the "celebrity cameo" then I'm all for it, it will get a lot of extra people in that show. As it heads towards its 10th anniversary though, I wonder if they should begin to look at reworking the show itself, maybe add a new stunt or two. (They won't.) The same goes for Animagique - I'd much rather see a new scene added to that and the show given new advertising rather than that lazy Ratatouille photo location. You can imagine some really awesome Monsters Inc blacklight scene like the opening titles of the film, or something tied into Finding Nemo... But no, the park is getting a giant plastic block of cheese with some holes cut in it.

I'd be interested to hear the latest on the Disney Princesses thing. I know in promo materials DLP have actually stated that it's "not confirmed by WDI" yet, but I don't know how up to date that is. I wouldn't be half surprised if it turns out they're just now rebranding the regular Princess meets at Le Théâtre du Château under that name until the Small World thing possibly opens next yet. After all, as far as I understand it "Monsters Inc Scream Academy" was meant to be a new show/happening in the Studios last year - it got cancelled, but they continued the advertising and pretended they were promoting the four-year-old photolocation all along.

There is an odd emphasis on Adventureland events this year, and practically nothing at the Studios.

alternativerock123

This video I found on the DisneyCentralPlaza forum of the "Assemblée Générale EuroDisney SCA" (Annual General Meeting) of a small sneak preview of some of the new attractions to come. However this video only shows the Tarzan Encounter and Lightening Mcqueen for the Stunt Spectacular!
The man who posted the video also mentioned about the music played in the background at 3:15 could possibly be the new music for the festival.

[youtube:pa8793c1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tIamCP_BZY&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:pa8793c1]

Also the images for the tickets have been "realised" Of course they might change/might not be 100% true,
[spoiler:pa8793c1]
Thank you to DLRP-Express and DisneyCentralPlaza for the image.[/spoiler:pa8793c1]

I Love to see the rare characters of Rafiki, Hatter, Queen of Hearts, Timon and Pumba and Cpt Hook. =D

(Cinderella looks demented, and her hand is weird, hopefully someone has spotted the mistake)
31st Aug - 1st Sept 2010 = Kyriad Torcy (First Time <3)
11th - 14th July 2011 = New York Hotel
2nd - 4th Aug 2011 = Kyriad Torcy
31st Oct 2011 = Day Trip
13th March 2012 (Disneyland Cal)
10th - 13th April 2012= Hotel L'Elysée
30th May - 1st June 2012 = Hotel L'Elysée
31st Oct - 1st Nov 2012 = Residence Prestige
18th - 20th July 2013 - Residence Prestige
9th -11th Nov 2013 = Hotel L'Elysée (First Christmas Trip!)
Coming soon:
29th April - 1st May = Hipark Serris.

dlrpkris

Unfortunately that music was simply stolen from Tokyo... but DLP are getting better at buying the right for borrowed tracks to include instrumentals and deviant version. I think it's fair to say this theme won't play a large feature in the festival (a shame, I do like it), but what's to say that some other music might get copied and re-recorded :P
"Life\'s a happy game, you could clown around forever - \'cos we\'re the best of friends"
It\'s time to bring down the house - welcome Mickey Mouse!

mdw

hi, any news on the new princess meet and greet location? any pics or hints on what it looks like or how its going to work? eg, 1 big queue to meet all of the princesses or indivdual queues? how many princesses each day?

michelle

Josh

Quote from: "mdw"hi, any news on the new princess meet and greet location? any pics or hints on what it looks like or how its going to work? eg, 1 big queue to meet all of the princesses or indivdual queues? how many princesses each day?
There's a bit of info on that here: ;)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10822
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

dagobert

Dlp.info, partner site of magicforum, has posted a picture about the new photo location in Adventureland:

Maybe there will be some who disagree with me, but I don't like it. Does DLRP really think that there will be more people coming to the resort because of photo locations? Maybe children will be happy with that.

15MagicalYears

I agree, I think its crazy that they are pushing photo locations as their biggest attraction this year.

Columbiad

QuoteI think its crazy that they are pushing photo locations as their biggest attraction this year

Here, here. Although, I must admit I like the photolocation seen here. Nice and simple, not too gaudy and it looks good quality.

This isnt all thats happening  here though is it? Is there not also some sort of musical happeneing going on here?