Disney's Fairytale Christmas 2008/09

Started by ICHAPMAN, August 26, 2008, 11:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butlin Boy

Well perhaps if this is a success this year, then next year we may see some more Christmas attractions in the Studios, that are designed for it. :)

littlemermaid83

QuoteImagine paying €40+ to get in and then you see that! It's reminding me of that Lapland New Forest scam that's been on the news today.

Woah Anthony to compare it to that you really must not like it. :shock:
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

cap'njack

Anthony

I know part of the reason for this was probably to liven up the rather empty Place des Stars, but wouldn't the path between Studio Tram Tour and Toon Studio have been a much better place for this? They could have put the huts all in a row and strung some lights up across the path. It would have been all cosy and festive, and not so much of a theme problem because that's already a kind of no-man's-land area.

I do get that this might be another of their "tests" to see if it's something they should spend more money on for next year, but Belle's Christmas Village was a massive investment that was brilliant right from the start.

Maybe in the future we could have a Toy Storyland Christmas Market, with oversized Christmas lights and decorations like they have at A Bug's Land...? :idea:

littlemermaid83

No more Toy Story please...

I think Tinker Bell's Christmas village would go down a treat  :D
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Nala_84

I must say, I didn't find it bad at all ;)!

But yes, of course it would be nicer if WDS got more Christmas styling, too, but less a romantic Belle's Village like maybe something more "Hollywoodlike"? Or a traditional Christmas market like in the 1950s, if something like this exists :mrgreen:
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]

Riebi

Quote from: "Nala_84"I must say, I didn't find it bad at all ;)!

But yes, of course it would be nicer if WDS got more Christmas styling, too, but less a romantic Belle's Village like maybe something more "Hollywoodlike"? Or a traditional Christmas market like in the 1950s, if something like this exists :mrgreen:

Same here. I think it´s a good begining. Here´s my list:

+ It clearly shows how much better place du stars can look with "something" around it like little buildings or else. It make it more close, more intimate and more to take a walk OVER the place and not just around to come as fast as possible to cinemagique or stitch live!

+ The WDS need much much more Christmas Deco. It´s nice that they´ve realized that point and try their best for the year one.

- It looks a bit like a last minute decision and not like a long term Imagineering project. So I hope it will be better in 2009

Quote from: "Anthony"You can find these in every European city now.

- And as a country of real amazing christmas markets I must add: The christmas markets of the bigger city at germany looks much much much much more elaborate. They have wonderful little houses and not this simple wood-toilet-cabin-stuff.
Diffrent roofs, diffrent structurs to make it more look like a real village. For example: The christmas market in my hometown has round houses, square houses, houses with normal roofs and some with more tent-like roofs but it all look very harmonically  and nice. We even have a flighing santa claus over the whole thing  :lol:

:arrow: //http://www.christkindlmarkt-sb.de/impressionen.php

Quote from: "Anthony"Why not movie star trailers covered in snow or something?

Be careful with your wishes. That could quickly look like a red-light district street in Hamburg  :P  :lol:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

experiment627

Quote from: "Riebi"
Quote from: "Anthony"Why not movie star trailers covered in snow or something?

Be careful with your wishes. That could quickly look like a red-light district street in Hamburg  :P  :lol:

Well... they've got too much class for that in Hamburg... Frankfurt on the other hand...  :wink:

But getting back on topic: even though the few huts they put up for a WDS christmas market look extremely bland (compared to the theming of Belle's Village - not to mention all the wonderful Christmas markets in Germany...), at least they're selling something else (they are, aren't they? I'm just guessing from what they've done in previous year at the Village) than the same Christmas stuff that is available in every single boutique...
I mean, why am I supposed to visit Belle's Village anyway if I can get the same stuff at the Emporium??

Riebi

That´s a good point! A christmas market should normaly has a very good choice of craftsmanship. It´s important that you can buy there some wooooden angels from an old man who makes them in his little pictorial forest house, puppets from a puppet-woman, jewels from a younger trendy woman and some hand made candles. Without this is like -all the other- "Emporium-in-cabins"-markets. Also the food is always special.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Getyogrooveon

Quote from: "Nala_84"I must say, I didn't find it bad at all ;)!

I'm with you on that. It was a complete suprise to see something new in the studios, and whilst now I think about it, it was only a few sheds set around a fenced off fake snow and tree area, it still brought something to the studios that we have never had before, and anything to fill up the vast "wasteland" that normally is threre.

The studios this year had a completely different atmosphere about them, more of a coherant theme park feel, not to mention crowds and queues (with the execption of Crush, never experienced a queue in the studios before).
"Eveything is automatic - this is Disney" [CM on the rollercoaster simulator in the Studios - Nov 2004]

05.92 Newport Bay
09.01 Santa Fe
11.03 Cheyenne
11.05 Sequoia Lodge
11.06 Cheyenne
11.07 Cheyenne
12.08 Cheyenne
08.10 Saratoga Springs - Walt Disney World
11.10 Cheyenne

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"I know what you mean, there's hardly much else Christmassy going on in the park, especially since the CinéFolies cast were culled, but this is meant to be the 2nd best theme park on the continent. It shouldn't really be a place to throw in little random things as something extra. Disneyland requires a little more planning than that.

It actually looks worse the closer you get:

Imagine paying €40+ to get in and then you see that! It's reminding me of that Lapland New Forest scam that's been on the news today. I could just as well wander round my local B&Q.

Compare to the wonderful Belle's Christmas Village:
http://joel.at.dlp.online.fr/dlp/20081202/DSC05311.JPG

And the really quite stunning completion of Santa Claus Village:
http://joel.at.dlp.online.fr/dlp/20081202/DSC05261.JPG

I'd rather see it empty. :(

Haha, thank you for that Lapland New Forest link. Hilarious. The elves smoking in the parking lot...

And I agree. I had hoped they would dress up the new Hollywood Boulevard facades and possibly erect a proper Christmas tree at last (it's the only Disney park without a big tree), but this is even worse than nothing. I thought these stands were abysmal when they were just in Disney Village... This is supposed to be a theme park. And not Weihnachtsfestland at that.

The Butlin Boy

I think they've added a bit to it, a rather random contraption at that...

All in the spirit of Christmas I suppose... :-k  :roll:

:arrow: http://www.disneygazette.fr/marche-noel ... s-180.html

Willow

Wow, thats the most amazing thing I've ever seen at a Disney park! [/sarcasm]

It would have looked better if nothing was done!

Somebody must have had a spare bit of tinsel lying around.

Do you know if it lights up at night?

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "giselle"Hmmmmm mulled wine.

We have previously bought it from the village, even though we are not there for the official christmas market, over the last couple of years some stalls have set up early. This being one of them. It is usually around 3 euros a cup. Very nice at the end of a long, cold, fab day.

That's a good deal, we were paying £3.50 for it in Manchester's Christmas market last week.
since 2001 (many before that)

RnRCj

Somebody needs to check that all the lighting rigs are still in Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.