Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the ride system Disney are using for Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin has been used before in a Disney park. Yep, Scuttle's Scooters over at Tokyo DisneySea uses the same system:

andrewuk

A brief critique of WDSP:
The attractions are great but are too few in number.
There is a lack of greenery.
Some areas are not well-themed.
There is a lack of things to watch besides the tower doors opening and the Crush cars whizzing by.
The queue for Crush is too long.
There is not much to explore.

OK, so I think most would agree these are the main problems that the park has and that TSPL at least attempts to address each of these.
I'm not keen on any of the rides, though: I'd rather queue up for TOT than go on any of them! I'd try the parachute drop if there is a 10min queue but I wouldn't bother with the others. But I do think that it will bring a little more depth to the park and I will take a look. There are obviously those who enjoy queuing for 45minutes to go around 3 times on the carousel, or to ride Dumbo, tea-cups or cars, so a dull ride in a well themed setting can be popular amongst the guests, and it may add some more atmosphere.

I don't think that it will be all that bad, it is just a huge disappointment because Crush, TOT, Stitch, Playhouse and Hollywood Boulevard have all been excellent additions to the park and this land with its carnival rides just seems so uninspiring.  :(

However, Ratatouille should make up for it! [-o<
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

Hathaway Browne

Quote from: "Anthony"What is "it's a real gas" even meant to mean? That phrase was used for Cars too.
It means its going to be fun. Its an old saying, not sure on its origins. Another example would be; "Its going to be a gasser"
Marching along, we\'re Adventurers! Singing the Song of Adventurers!
Up or Down, North, South, East or West An Adventurers Life is Best!

The Butlin Boy

Found this little gem on Disney Central Plaza; from 'Tales from the Laughing Place':

Obviously, the focus of this picture is on SDZZS, but you can clearly see part of RCR in the foreground. It's a shame we can't see anything from TSPD, but it gives up a little bit more information about TSPL ( :shock: )!

Kristof

Quote from: "Alan"I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the ride system Disney are using for Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin has been used before in a Disney park. Yep, Scuttle's Scooters over at Tokyo DisneySea uses the same system:

The Paris version will be different.  The vehicles will be covered and will open and close while the ride is spinning.  :)

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Kristof"
Quote from: "Alan"I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the ride system Disney are using for Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin has been used before in a Disney park. Yep, Scuttle's Scooters over at Tokyo DisneySea uses the same system:

The Paris version will be different.  The vehicles will be covered and will open and close while the ride is spinning.  :)

That is awesome! I went on a ride like that when we were on holiday this year; we went to an old Victorian fun fair type attraction (where they had a lot of seriously old and impressive fully functioning rides) and there was one like that. It's really different to the usual type of ride, and will probably work well here too :)

CafeFantasia

I don't quite understand. What do you see when the vehicles are closed? Are you, as a rider, then fully enclosed inside the vehicle, with no view?

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Alan"I don't quite understand. What do you see when the vehicles are closed? Are you, as a rider, then fully enclosed inside the vehicle, with no view?

I think it'll be similar to this:

[youtube:lg1ydj0a]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB2aHkk6uF8[/youtube:lg1ydj0a]

CafeFantasia

Really? That looks pretty weird for a Disney ride. What do you see when you have the hood over your head? Just nothing, black?

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Alan"Really? That looks pretty weird for a Disney ride. What do you see when you have the hood over your head? Just nothing, black?

Well the one I went on (the one in the video) had loads of tiny holes in it, which gave it a rather clever feeling of flying through space. I suppose the idea for this one will be to theme the outside like a giant spring, so they could do something on the inside I suppose :)

luke85

That ride looks a bit odd, not sure about the covering-up part  :shock:

CafeFantasia

So, that type of ride is officially called the Caterpillar Ride. It's a vintage flat ride from 1925. It seems unlikely that Disney would build one in their parks, but according to Kristof they will:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_ride

Gareth

i like hte idea of the covers and un covers i think that itll make the ride i little bit more intresting and anything with slinky is one huge plus =D :D/

[size=150]Please Follow Me - - - - Twitter.com/Gareth2100 ---- Thanks

Reiana

Many years ago we had this kind of ride at the Oktoberfest, too.
I remember it being quiet funny.
I think it is not a bad idea to have this kind of ride at the park, but could be a little bit scary for the little ones.

Timbo

I remember this types of rides from when I was a kid !! They are kind of fun , especially if you are young enough and a bit scared of the dark ! It is just like Space Mountain for toddlers really !