Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest3474

The Woody statue has the initials 'HK' in the top left and some chinese characters faded into the artwork blocks, so it looks like Woody is specifically destined for Hong Kong ansd was never going to be in Paris. The shading light blue shading style is the same on the following Rex sketch, so it could be assumed we were always going to get Buzz standing at the main entrance to TSPL.  :)

dagobert

I would have preferred Woody over Buzz. There is already one in Discoveryland.

Martyn

Yes, and this now makes our Rex/ and entrance look very feeble....

Anthony

Quote from: "dagobert"I would have preferred Woody over Buzz. There is already one in Discoveryland.
I'm not sure, I think a lifeless Buzz statue looks better than a dead-eyed Woody. How would you do Woody's fabric clothes? They wouldn't look great in Paris. Buzz being plastic is easier to get right, and so many people copy his pose for photos in front of him. Must be one of the most popular photo spots anywhere at DLP.

Quote from: "Martyn"Yes, and this now makes our Rex/ and entrance look very feeble....
Feeble? How? They're not even massively different, and if anything our Buzz is much bigger, more dramatic.

Riebi

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "dagobert"I would have preferred Woody over Buzz. There is already one in Discoveryland.
I'm not sure, I think a lifeless Buzz statue looks better than a dead-eyed Woody. How would you do Woody's fabric clothes? They wouldn't look great in Paris. Buzz being plastic is easier to get right,

But isn´t that an extremly sad point: Don´t let paris get things that have to get a proper refurb every year cause they won´t do it... :(  sad world
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

dagobert

Anthony, you are right that it is easier to maintain the plastic Buzz instead of Woody and I'm sure it is also cheaper to build a plastic figure. But these arguments lead to parks that don't have any theming.

Like Riebi said, it is a sad that Disney thinks that way of DLP now. I'm glad that they didn't think that way when they created DLP. Otherwise we would have get a fiberglass park like the Magic Kingdom.

CafeFantasia

Quote from: "dagobert"I'm glad that they didn't think that way when they created DLP. Otherwise we would have get a fiberglass park like the Magic Kingdom.

That's very true. Can you imagine what Disneyland Park in Paris would look like if they'd built it in 2002 or even 2012? I think it's pretty safe to say, it wouldn't have been built so big and fully developed as it was in 1992, and it wouldn't have all those luxury touches: like a dragon in the castle, and Big Thunder Mountain on an island.

I understand the practical reasons for choosing Buzz over Woody. And it would be fine, if there weren't so many other Buzz Lightyear figures all over the resort. They should at least take down the huge Buzz at the entrance to Laser Blast, as well as that New Generation promo Buzz hanging above Main Street Station.

dagobert

Quote from: "Alan"I understand the practical reasons for choosing Buzz over Woody. And it would be fine, if there weren't so many other Buzz Lightyear figures all over the resort. They should at least take down the huge Buzz at the entrance to Laser Blast, as well as that New Generation promo Buzz hanging above Main Street Station.

That's a good idea. I have never thought about that. Buzz isn't really necessary at the entrance of Laser Blast.

Riebi

if you ask me they have to change the whole front of buzz to fit more to discoveryland (back to the old color scheme please!)...but that´s another chapter of the book "How to do Discoveryland right".

For TSPL I don´t know. I don´t see any of the characters better then another.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

dagobert

I've always said that the old color scheme looks a lot better. BLLB doesn't fit the Discoveryland fit, but I know that it will not get ripped out and so it would be great to repaint the bulding to match Autopia, SM and Orbitron. The Buzz building looks like if it doesn'r belong there.

Now back to TSPL :D .

Martyn

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "Martyn"Yes, and this now makes our Rex/ and entrance look very feeble....

Feeble? How? They're not even massively different, and if anything our Buzz is much bigger, more dramatic.

Because our Rex is just standing idle on his own, where as the HK Rex is being teased by the monkeys, wrapping him in stuff, and it just generally looks more 'playful' and suited to a play area. It just looks a lot more inviting to me.

Anthony

Quote from: "Riebi"But isn´t that an extremly sad point: Don´t let paris get things that have to get a proper refurb every year cause they won´t do it... :(  sad world
Quote from: "dagobert"Like Riebi said, it is a sad that Disney thinks that way of DLP now. I'm glad that they didn't think that way when they created DLP. Otherwise we would have get a fiberglass park like the Magic Kingdom.
I really don't think Paris chose Buzz over Woody because of maintenance, I was just wondering how they'd get Woody to look like a real ragdoll. He doesn't naturally fit being this kind of fibreglass figure in the same way. Woody as a statue looks dead, Buzz looks funny.

Besides, compared to the box buildings across the rest of the Studios, Toy Story Playland is going to take a lot of work to keep well-maintained with all those hundreds of props which need to stay colourful and clean. Hopefully they won't go the way of the Pirate Ship and X-Wing across the esplanade.

RiverRogue

Thought I'd mention that they've changed the Buzz Lightyear and Rex spiels for Christmas season... I didn't manage to hear them myself yet, but apparently they're wishing guests happy holidays in the context of the overall TSPL theme.

dagobert

Quote from: "Anthony"Besides, compared to the box buildings across the rest of the Studios, Toy Story Playland is going to take a lot of work to keep well-maintained with all those hundreds of props which need to stay colourful and clean. Hopefully they won't go the way of the Pirate Ship and X-Wing across the esplanade.

Sorry for being off topic, but what happened to thr X-Wing? In February I didn't see any damage. It looked just dirty and old, but not broken like the pirate ship.

Anthony

No, that's what I mean - dirty. It doesn't matter so much for the X Wing, but if the "plastic" toys on Toy Story Playland end up looking like that the land won't work as well. Unless we're to believe the toys really have been left out in the rain for a while. :)