Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martyn

^ Exactly, that was my point. This is one problem that everyone had with TSPL, and it appears that imagineers have noticed too! I would now guess that something will definitely happen with the view from the Motuers Action seating stand.

sebassah

Quote from: "RockNRoller"
Quote from: "sebassah"Love it... but is so unlike Disney Studios to think about these things! Good job management!

Have to hand it to them, makes you wonder was this supposed to happen? If so what else are they going to spring on us to TSPL

It will be hard to cover up Parachute and RC from all positions in the park, however if the plants and trees start growing it might get better. Give it some time. The extra roof on Art of Animation is a great way to cover it up from Hollywood boulevard.

Soap

The sad thing is nowadays, it seems as if they must do such thing most of the times after building and not before building.
So not many first time rights and that seems like a lack of management/imageneering quality at the moment.

But, it's a good thing they realize it afterwards and try to fix it, that's a good first step imho.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

sebassah

Quote from: "Soap"The sad thing is nowadays, it seems as if they must do such thing most of the times after building and not before building.
So not many first time rights and that seems like a lack of management/imageneering quality at the moment.

But, it's a good thing they realize it afterwards and try to fix it, that's a good first step imho.

I so agree on that! But lets give them a little credit for this ;)

Soap

I do, i surely do  ;)
But i just can't stand such lack of interest, Disney is all about that little piece of extra Magic, not about
cutting corners most of the time as at DLRP it seems lately.

But i must stop complaining, there are far more important things going around in the world which are more important
to get the needed money and support to. (Haiti, Thailand, etc.)
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

DopeyDad

Quote from: "Martyn"^ Exactly, that was my point. This is one problem that everyone had with TSPL, and it appears that imagineers have noticed too! I would now guess that something will definitely happen with the view from the Motuers Action seating stand.

I'd be surprised to be honest if much can be done from that view, the seating is so high. Last week while watching the show I could see Big Thunder, the Castle, TSPL, parts of Disneyland Hotel, Space Mountain and of course ToT. But I am hopeful that one day more a substantial Hollywood Boulevard will deal with the intrusion from there.

On a more general note about TSPL, my family loved spending time there last week and it was lovely to have a couple more attractions in WDS that the whole family could enjoy together. Our 2 year old could join us on the parachute drop, but he absolutely loved Slinky. The surprise for me was my wifes reaction to RC, she enjoys her thrill rides and says this is now her favorite ride in either park. As for me my best impression of the area was that for about an hour or so I completely forgot I was in the Studios, the great area loop and consistency within the area worked really well for me to create an immersive feel which I feel is desperately missing here. It also felt to me that it helped make sense of Toon Studios/Cars/Crush areas, pulling it together albeit not in a way most would have envisaged in the original WDS story.

It certainly seemed to be popular with guests (except for when Slinky broke down to the annoyance of lots of parents with crying toddlers). It made me realise just how few people turn left when the gates open and you've dashed through Studio 1.

dagobert

Quote from: "Soap"I do, i surely do  ;)
But i just can't stand such lack of interest, Disney is all about that little piece of extra Magic, not about
cutting corners most of the time as at DLRP it seems lately.

But i must stop complaining, there are far more important things going around in the world which are more important
to get the needed money and support to. (Haiti, Thailand, etc.)

Quote from: "Soap"The sad thing is nowadays, it seems as if they must do such thing most of the times after building and not before building.

You are so right about that. It's a shame for WDI to realize afterwards that there was done something wrong. But it is great that they did something to correct their mistake.

In Paris it is just on small scale, but if you look to DCA in California, it must be really embarassing for the Imagineers that half of the park needs to be fixed, just because of doing it cheap.

Maybe such mistakes like the TSPL intrusion wouldn't happen if there would be a meeting in the parks every six months or at least every year with Imagineers from Glendale, ED SCA management and DLP-I. As far as I know attractions are always designed by WDI in Glendale, so it seems that DLP-I doesn't have enough power to make sure that such intrusion will not happen.

Festival Disney

Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Anthony

Hmm. I do support the intentions, but doesn't it just look a bit cobbled together now? Like if you smudged a painting and tried to fix it, but only end up making the problem stand out more. It's weird that the purple backing now sticks up higher than the circular top of the building itself, and so close behind it. It's not exactly subtle.

Maybe they'll fix the building properly at some point, make it blend with the Hollywood department store façade a little better? I'm sure one plan showed a new façade on this corner, in front of the Art of Disney entrance. Maybe when they designed Toy Story Playland they were expecting that to be in place, to have a taller actual façade here, blending in with the boulevard? But Euro Disney SCA goes the cheaper sticking plaster route... Maybe.

Reiana

Hm. I think it's not that bad. The only thing that disturbes me is the gap on the right side between the new facade and the sorcerer hat.
 :?

Martyn

Yeah it looks a bit 'meh' to me too. Not the Disney standard really.

dagobert

Quote from: "Anthony"Hmm. I do support the intentions, but doesn't it just look a bit cobbled together now? Like if you smudged a painting and tried to fix it, but only end up making the problem stand out more. It's weird that the purple backing now sticks up higher than the circular top of the building itself, and so close behind it. It's not exactly subtle.

Maybe they'll fix the building properly at some point, make it blend with the Hollywood department store façade a little better? I'm sure one plan showed a new façade on this corner, in front of the Art of Disney entrance. Maybe when they designed Toy Story Playland they were expecting that to be in place, to have a taller actual façade here, blending in with the boulevard? But Euro Disney SCA goes the cheaper sticking plaster route... Maybe.

It doesn't look that good, but it looks better than the ugly green tower. Hopefully you are right and they will fix the whole corner in the future. It looks temporary and not like it will be there forever.

CafeFantasia

Given the popularity/low-capacity of Toy Story Playland, what's the best order to do things in when you arrive at the Walt Disney Studios in the morning?

For me it used to be: Crush's Coaster, Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

But could it now be: Toy Story Playland, Crush's Coaster, Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

Or perhaps it still makes sense to queue up for Crush's Coaster first, then go straight to Toy Story Playland? What are anybody's thoughts?

dagobert

Quote from: "Alan"Given the popularity/low-capacity of Toy Story Playland, what's the best order to do things in when you arrive at the Walt Disney Studios in the morning?

For me it used to be: Crush's Coaster, Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

But could it now be: Toy Story Playland, Crush's Coaster, Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

Or perhaps it still makes sense to queue up for Crush's Coaster first, then go straight to Toy Story Playland? What are anybody's thoughts?

I would still queue up for Crush's Coaster first. Since I'm not that interested in the rides of TSPL I would just stroll around after I have done my  other favorite attractions (Cinemagique, ToT and RnRC).

I'm sure it has already been asked, but what merchandise sells the small shop in TSPL? Is it just the generic DLRP merchandise that is available in every shop, or is it Toy Story related? Thanks.

disneyloverjessie

are the TSPL rides fastpass?
\'when you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you\' - Pinocchio

\'A dream is a wish your heart makes\' - Cinderella<3

Hotel New York = 10 times
Sequoia Lodge = 1 time

[size=150]Disneyland Paris<3[/size]