Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JelleP

Great video from DLRPFans.be
"John Lasseter talks about TSPL"

http://vimeo.com/14763140
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

toritinker

when we were there august 27th-31st the barriers were up
xx
Sante Fe - December 2008
Radisson Blu Disneyland Paris - August 2010

davewasbaloo

I received a text from a friend at WDSP today, the R C Racer photo opportunity has been removed.
since 2001 (many before that)

Festival Disney

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"I received a text from a friend at WDSP today, the R C Racer photo opportunity has been removed.

I suppose that's not an auful thing, I thought it was a little odd having two RC's of different scale's in the same area...
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

davewasbaloo

True, but what a waste of money.
since 2001 (many before that)

Festival Disney

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"True, but what a waste of money.

Was this meant to be a permant feature or was it temorary for the opening and press launch?
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Reiana

Wow. So I took the last picture of the little RC racer  :shock:  Two days ago it was still there.
Maybe it is moving to Pizza Planet. The one there looks al little bit outdated, compared to the TSPL one.

RockNRoller

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"I received a text from a friend at WDSP today, the R C Racer photo opportunity has been removed.

Nooooooooooooo :cry:  Ive promised my nephew we could have our photo taken there,
Quote from: "Reiana"Maybe it is moving to Pizza Planet. The one there looks al little bit outdated, compared to the TSPL one.

Really hope you are right
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

Anthony

It's funny to come back from a few weeks holiday and see everything that's happened since the I was there in the first few days of the land's opening. Extended hours, things breaking, things removed, new fences and barriers, all this stuff they never seem to anticipate and then have to rush to fix.

Most surprising to me are those "Sortie/Exit" signs. It was very noticeable how empty the area around Barrel of Monkeys was compared to the far, far too busy area outside Parachute Drop, but I didn't expect those. It's a strange layout for a land, having the gift shop right at the back - of course no one's going to walk out of their way around there, especially when the path isn't on the map! Maybe it'll all work out when Ratatouille arrives and pulls more people through that way.

The area left behind from RC (unless he's returning) would be perfect for a properly themed food/drink vending cart, wouldn't it? That took up a lot of valuable space just for something for kids to climb all over.

Quote from: "johnd331"
QuoteHey, Anthony made the Independent. That's cool, that's cool.
Yeah, indeed. Congratulations! I surely hope the journalist got your quotes somewhat right.
That gave me a fright when I was skimming through this topic... My full name! On a newspaper site! Argh! Well, I've been in contact with the author a few times about DLP but didn't expect to be used for quotes, so that's weird. But luckily not too incriminating, nothing negative from my mouth, just a nice way to slip the website in.

bigrossco

sure is great Anthony and nice tos ee the sites mentioned (again!)
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

Willow

2 months after my last post in here I'm back! I've been to WDW and needed to get away from some of the heated discussions.
I don't know what the reaction has been to TSPL (I will be catching up in the coming days) and I don't know what the issues have been (although I've heard about long queues/breakdowns). My judgement is based of videos/photos, as I doubt I will be visiting the resort for a while.

As you may remember I was always an avid defender of TSPL, I liked the concept and my only real issue was the capacity of the rides.
I kinda like the finished product, its better than I was expecting it to be, but it seems in certain areas the theming looks flat and 'meh'. The theme in principal is a good idea, I just don't think it translates brilliantly into real life.
But I think the rides are nicely themed and include some nice touches. (I particularly love the Slinky Dog box and the overall feel of the parachute ride.)

The area as a whole seems to be pretty immersive, something which I think the studios was crying out for. I'm worried about how it will look in 5+ years though, I don't think it will age well.

Overall, I'm happy with TSPL with no huge complaints. Its a solid addition to the park and should be a good filler until Ratatouille arrives. (Although, I can see why people were so negative about TSPL.)

JelleP

[youtube:q6dglskt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elTqXaldZsM[/youtube:q6dglskt]
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

CafeFantasia

Interesting story...

I wrote a letter to Disneyland Paris a few months ago, questioning why there was no advertising for Toy Story Playland attached to the film Toy Story 3. It would've been a pretty good opportunity to advertise their new €70 million investment, right?

Well they actually wrote back to me. Well, their legal department wrote back to me. I'm not going to copy and paste every word they wrote, but their basic message was that they're unable to consider or even read anyone's feedback or ideas. They automatically decline all proposals of unsolicited ideas, inventions or suggestions. Disney are basically blind to feedback. They don't want to know. They don't want to read it, and they don't want to hear it.

So, they returned my correspondence to me, having officially ignored everything I wrote.

How can Disney expect to improve and get better if they don't want to hear feedback from their customers?

Disneydavid

That vid is nice JelleP :D

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

Newest episode.... Toy Story Playland The Tour and Rc RACER!

Discoponies

Toy Story 3 is soon to be released on bluray. One of it's special features is a sneak peak look at Toy Story Land in Hong Kong Disneyland.

What a fantastic promotional opportunity, missed out by DLRP. Especially when it could have been promoting our Toy Story Playland which is already open!